#1 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:08 AM

If you're thinking of buying a secondhand 350z you need to know that there are UK cars and there are IMPORTS (from Japan). All 350z's are made in Japan, but there are often differences in specs between UK cars and JDM cars (Japanese Domestic Market). Imports are often sold for slightly less than the UK equivalent.

Imported cars are not necessarily better or worse than UK cars - They were just originally specced for the Japanese market.

Here's how to spot a car that was originally made for the Japanese domestic market and has subsequently been imported into the UK, starting with the most obvious differences. This comes with a word of warning - Many people modify their cars, so some of the items on the following list may not apply to a modified car (either UK or JDM).

How to spot a JDM Import......

1. Square rear numberplate, with the reg number on two lines (beware - one or two JDM owners have changed their bumpers for the UK ones, with long 'one line' numberplates).

2. Front bumper has no headlamp washers, (rectangular plastic bulge, just below the headlamps). Once again, if the bumper is not standard, you may be mislead, so be careful.

3. Any car without an integrated foglight in the rear indicator cluster is an import.

4. Any 17" wheeled car is an import.

5. Any tiptronic/auto car is an import.

6. Any car without Brembo brakes is an import (unless it's a modified UK one). The standard JDM brake calipers are a sort of gunmetal grey colour.

7. If the service/warranty book is in Japanese - guess what!!!

8. If the seller tells you it's an import - guess what!!!!

9. Any car with a button marked VDC instead of ESP is an import (on the dashboard, near the ignition switch).

10. Under the bonnet, any car with a branch of smaller piping off the air inlet pipe is an import (unless possibly a UK modified).

11. If you can get to see under the bonnet the VIN number will appear like this:-

UK/EURO JN1GAAZ33U_ _ _ _ _ _ _

JDM Z33-_ _ _ _ _ _

This list was compiled with input from Lomoto. Baldieman, C130seb and JSFZ33 - Thanks boys :ninja:

sigpicbrown_edited-9.jpg

Prospective buyer's/new owners' guide to second-hand 350Zs (includes MY06 & MY07 improvements) - CLICK HERE     How to ADD A SIGNATURE PIC

All assistance I attempt to give comes with the Murray Walker health warning, "Unless I'm very much mistaken ...I AM very much mistaken!"

'53 plate Gunmetal Grey 350z >>> '56 plate Ebisu Black 350z >>> '10 plate Universal Silver 370z - come on Nissan, what next?

#2 codlord

codlord

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:07 PM

For those looking at imports I have taken what I have learnt recently and summarised below the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) Z33 models and equipment specs.
This only covers main equipment, not full specifications and does not cover Roadster models or any special (NISMO/Anniversary) editions.

The 350Z is named "Fairlady Z" in Japan and the coupe has 4 trim levels, "Standard/Base", "S", "T" and "ST". ST is closest to UK "GT" spec but still not like-for-like.
The first model was available from about Jul 2002 to about Sep 2005, then a slight model revision/facelift for 2005 to about Jan 2007 when the 2007 model was made available.

Some Noteable differences over UK models
- I have been told that the early JDM (2002 to 2005) have an interior (dashboard plastics etc) and suspension setup that is inferior to the early UK models.
- JDM models have no headlamp washers or self-leveling headlights which is a requirement for cars with Xenon headlights in the UK. As such, some JDM cars may have had their Xenon headlights removed to pass the SVA test.
- Some have steering wheel stereo/phone controls but phone system is different to UK models so is not compatible with UK phone cradles etc.
- Cruise control is not available.
- JDM Bose stereo has a specific aux input that can be used to connect a CD changer or iPod with the correct adaptor.
- The standard alarm and locking is inferior as they do not have deadlocks. They do however have global closing and opening as standard. However, most imports will have had an alarm/immobiliser fitted to pass the SVA as a minimum CAT2 alarm/immobiliser is now a requirement as far as I know.
- JDM Sat Nav was an option but this cannot be converted for UK use.
- Front and/or rear cameras was a factory option on JDM cars but very rare to see it.
- JDM cars have no rear foglight (a requirement for UK cars) so either one of the rear lower light clusters will be converted to UK spec with integral foglight or a foglight may be mounted in on or under the rear bumper.

A summary of how best to spot what spec JDM you are dealing with:
- Standard/Base does not have Brembos, VDC, Bose, or Leather but does have TCS.
- T does not have Brembos or VDC, but does have Leather, TCS and Bose.
- S does not have Bose, or leather, but does have VDC and Brembos.
- ST has Brembos, VDC, Bose and Leather.
(Due to additional options or aftermarket parts a JDM may not match any of the above specs so see the tables below for more details).

2002 Model Standard Equipment Across the range:
- Driver/passenger SRS air bag
- ABS
- Brake assist
- Rear viscous LSD
- Engine immobilizer
- EBD
- Xenon headlights
- LED high-mounted stop lamp
- UV cut green glass
- Front/Rear wipers
- Electric colored door mirrors
- Dual tail pipe
- Aluminum engine hood
- Leather wrapped steering wheel
- Leather wrapped shift knob & parking lever
- Power window
- Center door lock
- Remote control entry system
- Shift-up indicator (Manaul Transmission)
- Shift position indicator (Auto Transmission)
- 3 sub meters (drive computer, oil pressure, voltage)
- Aluminum pedals
- Power steering
- Ozone safe full auto air conditioner
- 4 wheels multi link suspension
- 4 wheels ventilated disc brake

2002 Model Differences/Options:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Equipment							| Standard | Version T | Version S | Version ST |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 5 Speed Tiptronic Auto Transmission  |  Option  |  Option   |		   |			|
| SRS side air bag/SRS curtain air bag |  Option  |  Option   |  Option   |  Option	|
| Front/rear spoiler				   |  Option  |  Option   |  Option   |  Option	|
| TCS (traction control system)		|	Y	 |	Y	  |		   |			|	  
| VDC (vehicle dynamics control)	   |		  |		   |	Y	  |	 Y	  |
| Leather electric seats with heater   |		  |	Y	  |		   |	 Y	  |
| AM/FM with CD player				 |	Y	 |		   |	Y	  |			|
| BOSE sound system					|		  |	Y	  |		   |	 Y	  |	  
| 17" alloy wheels					 |	Y	 |	Y	  |		   |			|
| 18" alloy wheels					 |		  |		   |	Y	  |	 Y	  |
| Brembo aluminum calipers			 |		  |		   |	Y	  |	 Y	  |

2005 and 2007 Model Standard Equipment Across the range (same as above apart from):
- LED rear combination lamp
- Speed sensitive power steering
- 18" alloy wheels
- Active headrest (2007 model only)

2005 and 2007 Model Differences/Options (same as above apart from):
| Equipment							| Standard | Version T | Version S | Version ST |
| 5 Speed Tiptronic Auto Transmission  |  Option  |	 Y	 |		   |  Option	|

Hope the above is a useful summary. Please feel free to post additions/corrections. ;)

These details compiled with input/corrections from Mark / Me and only Me / Super GT - thanks.
Posted Image
Tiptronic Import T-Spec Z. Volk LE37T Wheels, Fujitsubo Exhaust, C-West Body Kit.
Now sold :-(

#3 Mark

Mark

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:10 PM

q

;) wow, well done, are you sure about the Xenons across the range though from 2002?

#4 Me and only Me

Me and only Me

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:53 PM

One other thing to consider is that the JDM does not have an attitude sensor to self level the headlamps and this is a requirement in the uk.
Also the alarm and locking is inferior as they do not have deadlocks. They do however have global closing and opening as standard.
Lost in Space, found in a dustbin.

#5 Crisis

Crisis

Founding OC Chairman

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

q

Just a couple of pointers...

- Fairlady Z

- Steering wheel audio/telephone controls are available on some grades, although phone system is different to UK models

- LED high-mounted stop lamp fitted to all cars from 2002 on
Giles

Posted Image

#6 codlord

codlord

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:13 AM

Thanks, corrections and additions up to now made.

Mark - no, not 100% sure but thats what the source spec details said. But as I have said above due to them not having self-leveling lights or headlamp washers I know some are converted back to halogen for SVA and may never be put back.

Me and only Me/Super GT - thanks for the info, now added.
Posted Image
Tiptronic Import T-Spec Z. Volk LE37T Wheels, Fujitsubo Exhaust, C-West Body Kit.

#7 Crisis

Crisis

Founding OC Chairman

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:22 PM

Just thought I'd add this, with regards the MY2002 cars

base does not have Brembos, VDC, Bose, or leather but does have TCS

T does not have Brembos or VDC, but does have leather, TCS and Bose

S does not have Bose, or leather, but does have VDC and Brembos

ST has Brembos, VDC, Bose and leather

Also...

only base and T were available in Tiptronic versions, these would be fitted with 17"alloys as standard
Giles

Posted Image

#8 nickbarnes07

nickbarnes07

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

interesting read , if my car is an import and it has brembos front and rear , and tanned leather , and xenons , was this all standard or optional extras , as i have seen a lot of imports with cloth in , and is also a manual

Edited by nickbarnes07, 27 November 2007 - 11:23 PM.

#9 codlord

codlord

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

interesting read , if my car is an import and it has brembos front and rear , and tanned leather , and xenons , was this all standard or optional extras , as i have seen a lot of imports with cloth in , and is also a manual

My post where I summarised the import specs used to have full details of the different spec levels but that text seems to have dissapeared after the forum upgrade :LOL: I probably have the text somewhere at home so I will edit the post and update it again. But basically there are a number of different specs ranging from Base, S, T and ST. Sounds like you have the top of the range ST.
Posted Image

#10 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:09 PM

o.k. I have added back in the spec details in that main post of mine.

As this post is linked from various places I don't know if its worth a moderator deleting all the in-between posts so just leaving the ones with the detail in, just to make it easier to read as a resource?

I've deleted as many as I could, trying not to upset anyone. Let me know if you think any more could go Simon.

sigpicbrown_edited-9.jpg

Prospective buyer's/new owners' guide to second-hand 350Zs (includes MY06 & MY07 improvements) - CLICK HERE     How to ADD A SIGNATURE PIC

All assistance I attempt to give comes with the Murray Walker health warning, "Unless I'm very much mistaken ...I AM very much mistaken!"

'53 plate Gunmetal Grey 350z >>> '56 plate Ebisu Black 350z >>> '10 plate Universal Silver 370z - come on Nissan, what next?

#11 codlord

codlord

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:06 AM

I've deleted as many as I could, trying not to upset anyone. Let me know if you think any more could go Simon.

Thanks Chubbs - I think now all of them could be deleted after the main post (including this one) - I had already updated with all the corrections/updates/comments, and have now updated the post with the summary of "how to spot what spec JDM it is" thanks to Giles. I have also thanked the people who have added to the post (as you have in yours) so their input is not forgotten :blush:
Posted Image