letank87

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

I have to confess, I'm a bit of a lurker on here too! :wub:

A few of you may know me from the other channel though! :lol:

I've had my zed for 18 months now. I got it from a mate at work who bought it new whilst working in Japan back in 2003.

What was once a standard JDM Version-S Coupe, now has European spec: dampers, exhaust, rear bumper, spoiler and RAYS. I've also added a few other things, such as 06MY LEDS, JVC AV headunit, rearview camera, digital TV, carbon front lip, Michelin Pilot Sports and of course a stubby aerial! :wub:

#22 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,387 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:55 PM

Welcome Letank! Post pics of your car up in the new around here section mate - Sounds like an interesting, possibly unique route to ownership.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

How to post pics on this forum CLICK HERE

Prospective buyer's/new owners' guide to second-hand 350Zs (includes MY06 & MY07 improvements) - CLICK HERE

All assistance I attempt to give comes with the Murray Walker health warning, "Unless I'm very much mistaken ...I AM very much mistaken!"

'53 plate Gunmetal Grey 350z >>> '56 plate Ebisu Black 350z >>> '10 plate Universal Silver 370z >>> '14 plate Mineral Grey BMW M235i >>> '65 plate Gunmetal 370z

Tokyo Motor Show, October 2017???

#23 Smash

Smash

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

Hey Guys,

I've dipped in and out of these forums for a while now. I'm currently pining for a Z, especially after all I've read about the 07 model. It doesn't look like I'll be in a position to even think about it for at least another 18 months though. :)

In the meantime I'll just pop in here and get my Z fix and keep on top of developments until my house is finished and I've recovered financially from the birth of my first child! :)

Great forum guys and a great car, I'm very envious of you all!

Heh, just realised I registered on the forum almost exactly a year ago! :)

#24 Mark

Mark

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:25 AM

q

:) Good luck! Hopefully you'll be in a position to buy sooner than you think!

#25 darren v

darren v

Zedlister

• User (10)
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:31 PM

hi guys, i am a lurker... from the 300zx.co.uk boards with the same name actually. ive always liked the 350z but i got a 36k mile j reg uk 300zx 2 years ago, which unfortunately got written off last month.

i'm now considering buying a 350z uk, or ST, or a very late (1997) 300zx tt slicktop 2 seater.... decisions decisions!

#26 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,387 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

q

Welcome Darren - What did you think of the 300zx - I saw a few nice ones at JAE and I'd like to find out more about them. What are its good and bad points?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

Prospective buyer's/new owners' guide to second-hand 350Zs (includes MY06 & MY07 improvements) - CLICK HERE

All assistance I attempt to give comes with the Murray Walker health warning, "Unless I'm very much mistaken ...I AM very much mistaken!"

'53 plate Gunmetal Grey 350z >>> '56 plate Ebisu Black 350z >>> '10 plate Universal Silver 370z >>> '14 plate Mineral Grey BMW M235i >>> '65 plate Gunmetal 370z

#27 Dragstar

Dragstar

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

q

sorry i missed this!

erm. cheaper from the US? I'll do a search, but anybody want to tell me how much cheaper?

#28 gpf1girl

gpf1girl

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

[font=Arial]Hello,

I am another lurker, having bought a 54 plated gunmetal standard Z a week ago.
Have hankered after one for a few years now, and it's definitely living up to expectations.
Hubby loves driving it, but it's my name on the paperwork!!

Audrey

#29 eyedee

eyedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

q

Buy a 350z! Won't comment on ST's as I'm biased (I think they are chavy mid life crises/boy racer "chariots:) and as good as my old standard, then 400bhp 300ZX tt was, the 350z is a more comfortable and refined car in almost every way. Far easier to live with (and sell!). Oh yeah, Welcome btw! :bounce:

#30 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,387 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

q

:bounce: WELCOME AUDREY & HUBBY! :drive1 [/font]

Congratulations on the purchase - nice colour ;)

You really need to make a new thread in the 'new around here' area, post some pics there and say a proper hello! We don't bite often :clap:

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#31 C130Seb

C130Seb

Zedling

• Founding Member (10)
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

q

Would have thought it was a FairladyZ type ST he was talking about...might be wrong though, I usually am! :drive1

:bounce: to you all!

Seb
Posted Image<br /><span style='color: rgb(51,51,255)'>The Zed has gone! After 7 years of 350Z Ownership including having owned 2 of them, I've now got a <del class='bbc'>Vauxhall VXR8 Bathurst S</del> Jaguar<br />(A French Racing Blue XFR-S with 550bhp :) - no string back driving gloves in sight!)<br />The Zed will be missed though - superb car, never missed a beat!<br /><del class='bbc'>Night Blue 350Z GT with Nism<span style='color: rgb(255,0,0)'>o</span> LM GT4 19s</del><br /><del class='bbc'>Invidia GT300 Y-Pipe Back Exhaust System</del><br /><del class='bbc'>East Shore Racing Y-Pipe</del><br /><del class='bbc'>Brembo Drilled Front Discs and Pads</del><br /><del class='bbc'>Stillen Dual Air Intakes</del><br /><del class='bbc'>Spill Grounding Kit</del></span>

#32 eyedee

eyedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

q

Nope, I think you're right. :teeth: :bounce: I was extremely tired yesterday and kept writing crap in all my work emails too! :drive1 Even more tired today tho... roll on the weekend (so I can sleep).

Welcome everyone btw! :doh:

Edited by eyedee, 09 August 2007 - 08:12 AM.

#33 darren v

darren v

Zedlister

• User (10)
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:27 AM

Yes guys I was talking about a Fairlady Z version ST! lol

the 300zx was awesome. it was a uk car and I had spent loads of money on it I basically rebushed the entire suspension, added eibach springs, kyb agx adjustable shocks, r33 gtr brembos, 350z rays rims, anti roll bars, made it look like a 1999-2001 spec JDM... and some other stuff i dnt remember...

it had 1 previous owner and only had 36k miles when i got it 2 years ago, now has 50k miles. What I did was try to make it look and feel as modern as possible and i definately succeeded. It was quick and handled awesome.

I've driven 350z' before and what I found was that a 350z drives/feels very similar to how my car was and how i assume a brand new 300zx would (since I completely refreshed my suspension). The difference is that the 350 is a bit sharper on the throttle and better handling too. i guess its just down to the 350 being more moden with a more rigid body, new productions methods etc. Having said that I havent driven a 300zx 2 seater slicktop, but again in terms of handling I assume the 350z would have the edge.

Since most 300zx' in the UK are old cars you have to look out for the standard stuff like servicing history, rust, suspension bush wear damage repair etc. contrary to what many people say here in the UK, they are totally tunable and reliable cars. like anything as long as it was looked after it will be fine. those who buy a 300zx because its a cheap car generally have problems maybe due to overlooking wear etc and not fixing anything because they see the car as 'cheap power', but the enthusiast owned cars are usually fine.

300zx' were made until 2000 and the last was sold in 2001; JDM models. There are only a couple of those here, but theres no model report to import them.

since i've done the 300zx thing, i'm thinking of getting a 350 even though they are a tad slower!

#34 eyedee

eyedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

q

Geoff, like the 350z they are all round good performers. Comfortable everyday car with impressive performance. Handle suprisingly well considering they are quite heavy too. Standard brakes not so great but ok. Suspension def wallows when cornering and turbo pickup can be a little slow but when the twins kick in they are progressively powerful - more a comfortable push rather than a wild lunge at the horizon but very fast.

As an idea of cost, my good mate's selling his K reg Auto twin turbo targa. 62K miles total. Its had a full engine rebuild (3000 miles ago) with all new seals, water pump and oil pump (a b!t@h to get too) and two new Uni T25 turbo's. Running standard setup it's pushing about 325bhp and with 600 spent on a new exhaust, induction kit and chip will reliably provide 400bhp no problem. Its got climate control, cruise control - all the usual refinements. 12 months MOT, standard alloys, could do with a paint touchup or two but overall good cosmetic condition. He's after offers around 3900. It's a PERFECT car for a modder IMO.

Hope thats of interest ( :doh: buy the car, buy the car, buy the car) :bounce:

#35 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,387 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:54 AM

Where in the country is he, eyedee? - also, do you have a link to an advert?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#36 eyedee

eyedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:10 PM

q

You can call me Nathan :drive1 He hasnt advertised it yet. It's being MOT'd today and he was planning to advertise it this weekend. His name is David, lives in Shepperton in Surrey and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have, because he is a genuinely decent chap! :doh: 07890 097 303

cheers :bounce:

#37 eyedee

eyedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

q

Just realised how that reads! Drop the laughing smiley... he really IS a genunely decent chap! :doh:

#38 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,387 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:32 PM

q

Thank you Nathan :doh:

Might give the decent chap a ring!

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#39 darren v

darren v

Zedlister

• User (10)
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:33 PM

its worth going to 300zx.co.uk too mate they have some good buyers guides, advice and banter.

#40 Addo

Addo

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

Hi all

Another lurker here. :drive1

Reason for lurking is that I'm 90% sure that I'm going to purchase a UK Z in the next couple of weeks.

Had a company car for the last few years as I'm doing 80 mile round trip per day, but changing job and will be commuting to London by train so out goes the diesel and in comes something fun!! I had to sell a VX220 when I took the company car so want to get something again, which makes me want to go for a Sunday morning blast!

Although my company cars weren't that bad, Civic Type R and at present a Seat Leon FR Tdi I couldn't really track them...

So to releive the pain, I brought Pug 205 off ebay, which I've slowly modded and stripped over the last two and half years... not chavvy style though, let me point out :teeth:, still looks standard but keeps up with Exiges and Elises no problem.

Only 90% sure about getting a 350, as I may need something which I can tow a race car, but to get the race car involves selling the 205 trackday car which I've put a lot of money and love into :doh:

As soon as I've purchased a 350z I'll join the club of course.

From the Milton Keynes area and experience of dealers so far... :bounce: And I've not even brought a car yet!

From what I've read already looks like a great, friendly informative forum!

By the way, whens the Ring trip planned?

Cheers

Adam