Posted Image

Photo

The Definitive "which Tyres To Buy" Poll

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Poll: Tyre Choice

Summer

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Winter

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Track Use

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Damo

Damo

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

This is the place to find out which tyres (18") have proved to be the most popular :doh:

Please vote accordingly and feel free to comment too :wacko:

This is the place to ask any tyre related questions too :)

If you have no experience of driving on track, vote for "None of the above. No track use". :fool: I will then amend the poll accordingly. :)

As the votes come in I will update the 1st post in this thread with the "Top 3 Members Choices" so that you can see the results without wasting/voiding your vote. Also, as times goes by, I will remove tyres from the poll that have no votes.

If you have voted for a tyre and subsequently change to another brand (which in your opinion are better) and would like to change your vote, please PM me and I will amend the poll accordingly :wacko:

Also included in this thread is some very useful tyre usage advice :bang:

Top Choices to date

Summer - Toyo Proxes T1-R & Michelin Pilot SPORT '2'

Winter - Toyo Proxes T1-R & Falken FK-452 & Michelin Pilot SPORT '2'

Track - Toyo Proxes T1-R & Bridgestone Potenza RE040

FAQ - Tyres / Wheels

Q - What are the standard wheel offsets & tyre sizes?

A -

Standard Wheel Sizes are:
Front - 18" x 8.0JJ +30mm offset fitted with 225/45R18 91W Bridgestone RE040
Rear - 18" x 8.0JJ +30mm offset fitted with 245/45R18 96W Bridgestone RE040

Rays Alloys Wheels Sizes are:

Front - 18" x 8.0JJ +30mm offset fitted with 225/45R18 91W Bridgestone RE040
Rear - 18" x 8.5JJ +33mm offset fitted with 245/45R18 96W Bridgestone RE040

Nismo LM GT4 Alloys Wheels Sizes are:

Front - 19" x 8.5JJ +25mm offset (9.25kg) fitted with 245/35R19
Rear - 19" x 9.5JJ +30mm offset (9.35kg) fitted with 275/35R19

JDM Alloy Wheel sizes are as above, but they may also be fitted with the standard 17" Wheels
All tiptronic auto cars are fitted with 17" wheels as standard - these are sized:

Front - 17" x 7.5JJ +30mm offset fitted with 225/50R17 94V Bridgestone RE040
Rear - 17" x 8.0JJ +33mm offset fitted with 235/50R17 96V Bridgestone RE040

Q - What tyres pressures should I run on my 18" / 19" / 20" ?

A - 35psi all round for all sizes.
Thinking about "modding" your car? Don't forget the driver! - CAT Driver Training - click for Members discounts

Need to know how to do a job on your Zed? Check out the "How to's" section - click here

The definitive Tyre Choice Poll click here to vote and see the results

Posted Image

Send me your "How to's" - howto@nissansportz.com

#2 PaulW

PaulW

Committee Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

I've got another one for the list, Kumho Ecsta Spt. If your looking for a tyre on a budget look no further, superb wet and damp grip and good progressive dry grip. Not quite as good as Goodyear eagle or Michelin PS but not much worse. In fact in the damp maybe a bit better which could suggest on a dry warm day they maybe very good.

gallery_245_423_13930.png

#3 Baldieman

Baldieman

Zedling

• User (10)
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

i have voted for all of them, but as the only track i have done is the "parade" lap at last years national and i did not change out to a different tyre. Not that i change any how, so it'll be an incorrect respone on the last bit
Its Official

AS SEEN IN AUTOCAR

ZEUS - "OUR CHOICE" - AutoCar Issue 15 October 2008

Zeus...350z GT, Rays, Rear Park, Sunset. Born 14-5-05. Still Smiling Every Time the key is turned.
Also. Z tax disk, z mats, did have z dust cap's till some sod nicked them, z base ball cap.

#4 Paul_S

Paul_S

Committee Member and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

I don't have enough experience of different tyres (I keep buying wheels with tread left on them - so mostly Bridgestones! :)) but I keeping an eye on the results as I'm gonna get some winter / track day rubber on my Rays in the next few weeks :lol:

Nice work Damo and all those that have voted :thumbs:

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

Posted Image

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#5 sunsetzed

sunsetzed

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:45 PM

What about continental tyres?! they are a good all rounder. Toyo R888's would be my first choice track tyre and Bridgestone RE O70's would be another on my short list, thats if you can get sizes to fit!!

#6 Mark I

Mark I

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 961 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

Voted in all 3 sections.

Worth remembering that goodyear F1 Asymmetrics are only available in the UK standard Rays rear size (245/45/18) so anyone voting for them will be referring to rears only unless they have non-OEM set-up.

Useful thread though Damo. :)
04 GT Gun Metal with Baby Poo Seats & Rays. Plus a few other bits and bobs.

#7 Damo

Damo

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

What about continental tyres?! they are a good all rounder. Toyo R888's would be my first choice track tyre and Bridgestone RE O70's would be another on my short list, thats if you can get sizes to fit!!

Cheers for the feedback sunset - I'll look into Continental :) I didn't add them to the list as they've not been a popular choice for members over the last few years - doesn't mean they are no good though :rofl:

The R888's don't come in the correct size for the Zed unfortunately - damn shame :)

Toyo R888 sizes
Thinking about "modding" your car? Don't forget the driver! - CAT Driver Training - click for Members discounts

Need to know how to do a job on your Zed? Check out the "How to's" section - click here

Posted Image

#8 Damo

Damo

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

Worth remembering that goodyear F1 Asymmetrics are only available in the UK standard Rays rear size (245/45/18) so anyone voting for them will be referring to rears only unless they have non-OEM set-up.

Thanks Mark, I'll remove the Asymmetrics from the poll :)

Added the Continental Sport Contact 3's :rofl:

Posted Image

#9 AdrianK

AdrianK

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

The R888's don't come in the correct size for the Zed unfortunately - damn shame :clap:
Toyo R888 sizes

Not strictly True, for track only with the OEM Rays, use you could get away with running:

F - 225/40ZR18 or 235/40ZR18
R - 255/35ZR18

Would give a very similar Front/Rear rolling radius, and fit happily on the 8" Front and 8.5" rear wheels.
05 Sunset - 5Zigen Miracle Fireball Exhaust, Veilside V1 Carbon Lip, 19" 5Zigen ZR+520 Wheels + Rays Nuts, Dixcel Front Disc + Pad

Posted Image

#10 H_Potter

H_Potter

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

Missing F1 Asymmetrics!!!

Won shateloads of tyre tests and getting awesome reviews!!!

I'm currently running them (but only for a month or so)

Get them on there!

H

#11 H_Potter

H_Potter

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

Can you tell I added that last post before reading the thread :clap:

I was changing my F1 Asymmetrics to 40 profile anyway so using 265/40/18 and 225/40/18 with no ESP issues.

H

#12 sunsetzed

sunsetzed

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:17 AM

Not strictly True, for track only with the OEM Rays, use you could get away with running:

F - 225/40ZR18 or 235/40ZR18
R - 255/35ZR18

Would give a very similar Front/Rear rolling radius, and fit happily on the 8" Front and 8.5" rear wheels.

Any idea how far the speedo would be out running those sizes? I want to put R888's on my standard alloys and use them for the "ring" later this year. Which will mean driving to germany with them on!! PS Where are you getting these figures from and who is right?

#13 sunsetzed

sunsetzed

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

So are we saying that the traction control knows that the rears are doing more revolutions than the front, and subsequently "kicking in", making the car useless to drive if you use the wrong size tyres?

#14 AdrianK

AdrianK

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

So are we saying that the traction control knows that the rears are doing more revolutions than the front, and subsequently "kicking in", making the car useless to drive if you use the wrong size tyres?

I believe the traction does know, and changing this may cause it to come on more often.

I havent tried it personally so cant say 100%, i run 235/40 F 255/40 R on my rays and i dont have any troubles.

As i say on track with TC off, i cant see it being an issue at all, and i wouldnt use R888's on the road anyhow.
05 Sunset - 5Zigen Miracle Fireball Exhaust, Veilside V1 Carbon Lip, 19" 5Zigen ZR+520 Wheels + Rays Nuts, Dixcel Front Disc + Pad

Posted Image

#15 Damo

Damo

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

Thank you to everyone that has voted and contributed so far :clap:

32 votes and interestingly no votes for Dunlop! Are they no good then?

Posted Image

#16 PaulW

PaulW

Committee Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:34 AM

I ran F1's with 235/40/18 front and 245/45/18 rear with no problems.

gallery_245_423_13930.png

#17 perr_mike

perr_mike

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

Guys

Just been told that Falken are no longer producing 452's (Bummer as I need two). Micheldever tyres have advised they have been replaced with ZE912's.

Mike
Now driving!!! 2003 GM GT with Alazan interior

#18 Fuku Fuku

Fuku Fuku

Zedling

• Founding Member (10)
  • 8,334 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

Thank you to everyone that has voted and contributed so far :hello:

32 votes and interestingly no votes for Dunlop! Are they no good then?

The Dunlops are a decent tyre but my rears lasted less than 10,000 miles!! Way too soft. :type:

I'm pleased to see the 'stones faring well in the track section. :clap:

#19 Pete350z

Pete350z

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:34 PM

Guys

Just been told that Falken are no longer producing 452's (Bummer as I need two). Micheldever tyres have advised they have been replaced with ZE912's.

Mike

They're still available on www.eiretyres.com And only 204 euro each, (275/35/19) i'm sure they're is a uk version of that site aswell, i use the irish version all the time obviously.

Cheers,

Pete.
2004 Azure GT

Mods: Antera 343 19x8.5 [f] & 19x9.5 [r] wrapped in Falken 245/35/19 [f] & Falken 275/35/19 [r] - Eibach 30mm Suspension - Stubby Aerial - Nismo Buddy Club cat back exhaust - Berk Technology High flow sports cats - Nismo Oil & Radiator caps - Kenwood DNX7200 SN HU - "Z" Tax Disc holders - 350Z floor mats - Nismo Black Aluminium gear knob - 2006 Spec OEM LED Brake lights & a big smile

#20 Paul_S

Paul_S

Committee Member and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

I was wondering how much tyres differ in weight - although I guess it can't be too much.

Anyway, for reference, I weighed my Rays that are currently shod in (barely legal) Bridgestone Potenza RE040's and this was the result:

Front: 19.9 KG
Rear: 21.9 KG

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

Posted Image

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits