15 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_S

Paul_S

Committee Member and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,363 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

Since we have several lucky people about to take delivery of their new 370Zs soon I thought I'd start this thread.

1. I asked my dealer not to put their sticker in the rear window. As I pointed out, I would only remove it and I didn't want a sticky mess on the new car!
2. When you go to pick it up have a good look around for any damage (marks on the bodywork, curbed wheels, etc) before you drive it off
3. Check all the levels. When I collected my 370Z the tyres were over-inflated by about 10psi and I didn't check them for over a week :shutup:
4. If the dealer is going to fill the tank for you make sure they user Super Unleaded
5. Ask the dealer for the manual prior to picking the car up so you can read it in advance and enjoy it immediately
6. Consider getting the car detailed and therefore protected from the elements
7. Follow the running in procedure

It doesn't have to be car-specific so let's share some useful info. Top tips please! :doh:

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

Posted Image

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#2 Gus

Gus

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:07 PM

Ooh, blast from the past this one.

On the old forum FrankieZZ posted one from one of the US forums which was very comprehensive - I had a copy of it on my PC before my 350Z pickup in 2004, but needless to say I've got a new PC and it's gone now.

Did anyone else that was around away back then keep a copy ?

Calling FrankieZZ - do you still have that checklist ?

Only ones I can remember off the top of my head that aren't on your list are :
- tell the dealer not to attach any dealer specific badges to the car.
- tell the dealer not to detail/polish the car. They'll probably get a YTS ( showing my age ?? ) to do it and create swirl marks
04 350Z Gunmetal - gone, but not forgotten
08 Golf R32 DSG, Deep Blue Pearl - gone
10 S3 Sportback S-Tronic, Sprint Blue - gone

10 A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDi quattro Sportback 170 bhp

#3 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

Just had a dig through the archives - I think this was FrankieZZ very comprehensive post:

Actually , it probably should read 40 things you should know about before your Zed arrives .This is an accumulation of items that need to be attended to before and after you take possession of your Zed ( Don't , worry , it will happen
). Some have appeared all through out the past year ( some new ones , too) in earlier articles, but with the influx of so many new members , here goes one more time .

DO BEFORE .........

1. Tell your dealer not to wax the Zed ( paint needs 2 months to cure or you will have paint chips ).

2. Tell the dealer how and where you want your plate located before it's too late .

3. Tell the dealer you do NOT want any dealership stickers affixed .

4. Tell the dealer to check your alignment . Make sure it meets the latest alignment stats or you could have tire problems later .Tie down on the ship changed many Yank's alignments with many tire problems resulting . Check your tires for unusual " cupping " or wear for the first 3,000-5,000miles .

** GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING FROM YOUR DEALER **

DO AFTER ....

5. Look into purchasing rear/side parking sensors or camera .

6. Set your shift light for 4,000 rpms .

7. Change the oil after breakin period ( 1,200 miles ) . Keep it mineral for the first 10,000 miles .

8. Check your windows to make sure there is no window grease mark . This should have been eliminated by now , but you never know .

9. Listen for loud rattles .

10. Lubricate the small black lever that releases your petrol filler cap from time to time . The cap tends to not open unless you do this .

11. When you change your oil leave your oil dipstick in or oil will seep ( make that pour) out .

12. Practice reading your oil dipstick . It's nearly impossible . I'm just getting use to mine now , a year later .

13. Look for what appears to be a minor oil leak( it's really like a slight film )on the floor under your car . It is the coating on some of the engine parts that is burning off . Don't panic , it's suppose to do that .

14. Check that your Zed doesn't pull slightly to the right .

15. Listen to your seat . The driver's seat has a tendency to move going around corners . Mine did a bit at first , no sign of it now .

16. Run your air-conditioner to keep your seals lubricated . Just ignore the occasional smell of body odor coming from the vents. There's nothing you can do and it comes and goes .

17. Adjust your seat's height . Unless you are 6' 2 '' , you'll need to as the car sits very low .

18. Look under the hood to see if your Zed has a hood sensor ( for your alarm ) .Some do , some don't .

19. Read your owner's manual thoroughly . So many dumb Yanks moaned and groaned about they couldn't find this or that and it was right in the manual .

20. Check your carbon fibre cloth seats for early wear .

21. Don't place anything sharp or heavy on your engine ( specifically the silver powder coated area on top or it will scratch and look terrible). It's the place you will probably put your tools or battery charger - put a rag or towel underneath to prevent scratches .

22. Don't lean heavily on your bonnet - it's aluminum .

23. Check your battery and antifreeze level . Mine were both woefully low .

24. Monitor your oil consumption and carry a bottle of oil in the hatch . The Zed will use a little oil during breakin . After , try to carry the same brand your dealer is putting in during oil changes .

25. Install a good radar/laser /camera detector .

26. Locate the emergency release cables under the rear strut brace in the hatch .

27. Familiarize yourself with the jack and where it goes on the Zed before you need it this winter .

28. Familiarize yourself with the computer settings on the first of the center guages .

29. Don't overfill your Zed with petrol. You may end up activating your " Service engine soon light " .

30. Screw your petrol cap on tight . Same results as # 29 .

31. Familiarize yourself with the rear wiper controls . On some Zeds , by the way , the washer fluid tends to leak out of the rear wiper on its own . Keep an eye on it .

32. Be careful not to lock yourself out of the Zed . Under certain conditions the doors lock themselves automatically . Read your owner's manual .

33. The Air-cond comes on automatically everytime you engage the fan . Develop patience to be able to deactivate it every time you use your fans for heat , windscreen clearance etc .

34. Your air filter housing tends to collect leaves . Check it and clean it from time to time .

35. Make sure your rear view mirror is securely on . Some have fallen into drivers laps .

36. Check your tire pressure is 35 lbs. Lose those tires as soon as you can.

37. Know where you or your dealer has put the wrench to take off the wheel nut locks if you are fortunate enough to get a free set as I did .

38. Start using the side portholes to help you pass other vehicles .There are some blind spots on the side mirrors .
The more practice you have the better off you'll be .

39. Check which ECU code you have . It's on a piece of paper wrapped around the large plastic coil coming out of your battery .

40 . Finally , watch out for envy crimes . It seems that many human beings have this deficiency and tend to demonstrate it by keying ( scratching with a key ) the side of your Zed .Now after all of this waiting , this is the last thing you want to see happen
!

Cheers !

FrankieZZ
2016 GT-R Recaro Black. A younger model is not necessarily better...

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...
Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

#4 MartinW

MartinW

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

I feel :shutup:
  • breez105 likes this
Posted Image

#5 Gus

Gus

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

That's the one Paul - well done for finding that :shutup:

Obviously some of that was 350Z specific, but you get the idea..........
04 350Z Gunmetal - gone, but not forgotten
08 Golf R32 DSG, Deep Blue Pearl - gone
10 S3 Sportback S-Tronic, Sprint Blue - gone

10 A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDi quattro Sportback 170 bhp

#6 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,363 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

Nice list :shutup:

I wish I'd had seen that before I picked mine up :doh:

Posted Image

#7 The G Man

The G Man

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

Re No2 ^^ up there, is there a couple of options as to where the front plate can go? Any pics of different positions (Oh Matron!!)

#8 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,363 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

No options really as the black 'bracket' is fixed to the bumper. I just asked for them to be stuck on and not to use screws so I could tweak them if need be. As it was the rear one wasn't on straight so it was just as well :clap:

Posted Image

#9 3FIDDYZ

3FIDDYZ

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

Re No2 ^^ up there, is there a couple of options as to where the front plate can go? Any pics of different positions (Oh Matron!!)

IIRC on the UK cars they cut the bumper for the UK plate holder when the cars get here from Japan and you could have requested that they provided just the plate stuck on rather than the bumper drilled for the holder incase you wanted to situate the plate in the grill area and then you wouldnt have a drilled bumper to repair.

Not sure if its the same on the 370z though!
Posted Image
Uprev FTMFW!
Chargespeed - Ings - Nismo - Recaro - Volk - Gallery - K&N - Cusco - Endless - 5zigen - RS-R
Kinetix - Clearcorners.com - Tommy Kaira - Kenwood - RSW - Varis - Ingallis - Pithon

Chilli Red Performance Parts JC Auto Refinishing Abbey Motorsport

#10 The G Man

The G Man

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

The only place I've seen the plate is on the promo pics, and that doesn't look too bad, I was never a fan of the lowered offset plate position on the 8 and I guess I'm the same for the 370, i like symmetry :#1: (Mrs says that's because I'm an anal retentive :clap:)

#11 Cyril

Cyril

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

Picked up my silver 370Z a few days ago.

1. When you arrive at the dealers, before talking to any staff, give your target car a thorough examination. Get down near the ground and check *every* square inch of body, as if you were washing it by hand. This should take 10 - 15 minutes.

2. Check every wheel for kerbing. If tyre black is covering part of the wheel rim, rub it off and check underneath.

3. Get inside and just spend a few minutes looking around the whole interior for wear and scratches. Stare at everything closely.

4. Even if you already had a long test drive, take a short test drive in the actual target car before putting down your deposit. Just a 5 minute drive to make sure it basically works.

5. Ask for the Nissan mats and boot matt. I paid 135. Worth it.

Jim
  • Chubbs likes this

#12 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,363 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for that. What do you think of your new 370Z? :lol:

Posted Image

#13 breez105

breez105

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:09 PM

Nice list !
My new Zcar has arrived at dealer in Bend. Must get a ride for my dog Breez and I to pu. Checked into renting a car hauler from U- Haul but after looking wasn't sure if underbody wind spoilers would clear.
I'm like a 64 year kid that can't wait !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,386 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

5. Ask for the Nissan mats and boot matt. I paid £135. Worth it.

6. If you have the new version Nissan mats*, use them at your own risk, especially if your car's an auto. A new carpet costs about £1k.

*the ones with the white felt logo, not the lovely old embroidered ones.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

How to post pics on this forum CLICK HERE

Prospective buyer's/new owners' guide to second-hand 350Zs (includes MY06 & MY07 improvements) - CLICK HERE

All assistance I attempt to give comes with the Murray Walker health warning, "Unless I'm very much mistaken ...I AM very much mistaken!"

'53 plate Gunmetal Grey 350z >>> '56 plate Ebisu Black 350z >>> '10 plate Universal Silver 370z >>> '14 plate Mineral Grey BMW M235i >>> '65 plate Gunmetal 370z

Tokyo Motor Show, October 2017???

#15 Cyril

Cyril

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for that. What do you think of your new 370Z? :teeth:

Well this thread has woken up, and no mistake.  To answer the question I overlooked 6 years ago - I liked it very much. After 6 years I can say the Z is a very well screwed together car indeed.  Reliability has been 100%.  No big bills.  The interior still looks new.  No wear except for a slightly shiny steering wheel.  Outside - no dings or dents, remarkably, but the wheels are badly curbed.

I am now looking to replace it, probably with a Mustang, which seems to be in the same spirit as the Z. 

• LESmo likes this

#16 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 9,041 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:48 AM

I have to say there are some amazing upgrades from Rouch (As in Roush Fenway - the Nascar Team) - for the Mustang.  Nothing says its a bad move.   Good luck with the change.

Great to hear the Zed has been a great buy.  

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe