89 replies to this topic

#81 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,730 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Chubbs, when you take it apart there is the end plastic cap - but I also have a rubber washer about 3p thick. Is this standard or just the Nismo has it. I have rotated it and my boot opens past the catch each time without any coins. If its standard I am confused as try as I may I cannot fit any coins in and I did try for about an hour with 2p and 1p. Before I reassembled it as it was just rotated and it worked?
Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#82 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,484 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

Chubbs, when you take it apart there is the end plastic cap - but I also have a rubber washer about 3p thick. Is this standard or just the Nismo has it. I have rotated it and my boot opens past the catch each time without any coins. If its standard I am confused as try as I may I cannot fit any coins in and I did try for about an hour with 2p and 1p. Before I reassembled it as it was just rotated and it worked?

Hmmmm. There may be a problem with you saying that it works. As you know, it only fails to open properly after the boot's not been opened for several hours - or days - especially in cold weather. If you tested it within, say, 2 hours of first opening it, it WILL work fine. But your problem may return after a few days, when the spring becomes compressed/cold again.

The 'rubber washer' is in all of them, if I remember correctly. Isn't it in the pic I linked you to?

Weird that you can't fit 1p coins in. Methinks it's something to look at during a meet, after all. I'm seeing if I can come to Leeds Castle on the Saturday. If I do I'll happily look at it with you then?

• LESmo likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#83 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,730 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

Cheers mate I am going to leave it for the time being.  My hand is bruised to @@''' and I have had enough - assembled it and put it back together. 

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#84 ianhoughton

ianhoughton

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:41 PM

Newbie question, but the bootlid on my 2017 Nismo also takes 2 pushes of the button to release properly. Should it then rise up fully under its own power, or lift it by hand?

#85 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,730 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:54 PM

No experience of a V2 Nismo.  However, the wing on the V1 is very heavy and you have to lift it.  The V1 Nismo has different strength springs we are yet to try on a other type of 370z.  However, yes its generally a two handed lift if there is any weight.  A few optiosn exist to reduce weight in the tail but I have never done these.  I did add some rubber stops which just forces it past the catch.

Here is a link to that thread : http://forums.nissan...prings-v1-nismo

• Paul_S likes this

Posted Image

#86 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,484 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:35 PM

Newbie question, but the bootlid on my 2017 Nismo also takes 2 pushes of the button to release properly. Should it then rise up fully under its own power, or lift it by hand?

Lift by hand, I reckon. I've never seen any iteration of 350 or 370z boot lids raise by themselves. The '2 pushes' problem is easily solved with the addition of penny coins in the boot springs - http://forums.nissan...hatch/?p=396287

• Paul_S likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#87 370zgt331

370zgt331

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:18 PM

I had the same problem. I went to YouTube and searched the problem.
If you take the springs out and put 3
1 penny pieces in them, it does the trick. I've done exactly that on my 370z and have had no issues for the past 6 months😁
  • Paul_S likes this

#88 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,484 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

I had the same problem. I went to YouTube and searched the problem.
If you take the springs out and put 3
1 penny pieces in them, it does the trick. I've done exactly that on my 370z and have had no issues for the past 6 months

It's not a bad solution - in fact I've been using it for about 10 years - but in time the springs will compress more and the issue will return gradually, even with 3 x penny coins per spring. Nissan really should use better/stronger springs, it wouldn't cost them more than the 6p you've just added to your car.

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#89 370zgt331

370zgt331

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:25 AM

I've not got around to it yet but in my opinion I reckon for me to get rid of the pennies that I'm using at present, which are doing a great job, motorcycle clutch release springs might just be the answer? I would not expect them to be expensive either, its a question of finding the right size.Trip to the motorcycle parts department will be my next step😁
  • Chubbs and Paul_S like this

#90 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,484 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

I've not got around to it yet but in my opinion I reckon for me to get rid of the pennies that I'm using at present, which are doing a great job, motorcycle clutch release springs might just be the answer? I would not expect them to be expensive either, its a question of finding the right size.Trip to the motorcycle parts department will be my next step

That sounds like an excellent experiment, to me. Let me know how you get on - you may have hit on a good solution.

• Paul_S likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B