Posted Image

Photo

Updating the CDDB (Gracenote) database on the Music box

Best Answer Paul_S , 11 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

Just so we don't ever lose this I've downloaded it, virus checked it again (just to be safe) and zipped for you all do download here --> [attachment=26052:TitleInfoSearch_Navi.zip]

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Mart Midlifecrisis

Mart Midlifecrisis

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

Morning lads & lasses - happy new year to you all!

I love the ability to rip CD's onto the Music box (hard drive) on my Zed, but it's frustrating when you rip a relatively new CD and the titles aren't picked up by the onboard Gracenote database.

According to the manual, you can upgrade the built in Gracenote (CDDB) database by downloading it onto a USB drive, then plug the USB drive into the USB socket in the Zed. Sounds simple, but I'm struggling to find a link on the web to download an up to date copy of the database, just lots of links to various software utilities relating to the database - but not the actual database itself!

Does anyone have any ideas - or has anyone actually managed to do it?

Thanks in anticipation of your help :-)

Martin

#2 Mart Midlifecrisis

Mart Midlifecrisis

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:19 AM

Apologies - I should have spent longer researching!

Trawled through the Gracenote site and found this link to the Nissan technical page on the very subject.

http://www.infinitiu...update/usb.html

It looks a bit of a faff - but I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

All the best,

Martin
  • Chubbs likes this

#3 Mart Midlifecrisis

Mart Midlifecrisis

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Here's the PDF containing the instructions if anyone else wants to have a go.

You need to download a piece of software called "TitleInfoSearch_Exe." from the link I posted above, then follow the instructions in the PDF below

Attached File  navi_usb.pdf   242.92KB   2402 downloads

Martin
  • Chubbs likes this

#4 andy.j

andy.j

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

Good info! All in the space of 26 mins!

Did it work well?

I don't really rip music onto mine, I plug in my iPhone and listen to music from that. However it won't be long before the sat nav itself will be out dated. Not sure how to go about upgrading that though!

Posted Image

2010 Twilight Grey 370z - My First Z! - Here is how I made it mine

#5 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,663 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

Good info! All in the space of 26 mins!

Did it work well?

I don't really rip music onto mine, I plug in my iPhone and listen to music from that. However it won't be long before the sat nav itself will be out dated. Not sure how to go about upgrading that though!

Will be easy - just send loadsamoney to your Nissan Dealer! :)
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#6 Mart Midlifecrisis

Mart Midlifecrisis

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

Wahey - it worked!

Although it's a bit faffy, it was really easy to do. Just plugged a USB drive into the Zed, followed the instructions on the PDF. Unplugged it, went back to the house and plugged it into the home PC, ran the piece of software I downloaded from the Nissan site, then went back to the car and completed the process.

Quite simple in reality - All the Albums have now been updated, it even picks up the Album information / track titles for brand new CD's that I've just bought.

Fan bloody tastic - I've actually contributed something useful to a forum as opposed to picking other people's brains :-)

Have a nice day and enjoy the last day of the holidays!

Martin
  • Chubbs likes this

#7 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,663 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Thats great Martin. Quick question: I dont have the opportunity to do this now but I wondered if it will pick up tracks from compilation CDs? Past experience has suggested some of these CDs may not be in the database. Also, for the novice such as me, will it identify downloaded tracks?
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress

#8 Chilli Red

Chilli Red

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 22,659 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

:) Well done Martin! You started off asking and ended up giving us all a great 'How to' ;)

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d  premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it

Check out our - 2014 & 2015 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

#9 Mart Midlifecrisis

Mart Midlifecrisis

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Thats great Martin. Quick question: I dont have the opportunity to do this now but I wondered if it will pick up tracks from compilation CDs? Past experience has suggested some of these CDs may not be in the database. Also, for the novice such as me, will it identify downloaded tracks?

If it's a 'purchased' compilation CD it will pick up the Album and track titles. If it's a custom made one that you've done on the PC it won't. Although, it might pick up individual track names depending on how you've 'ripped' the music from the original CD's onto your compilation CD.

As for 'downloaded' songs - these are normally downloaded in the .MP3 format. Unfortunately, you can't copy these onto the hard drive (Music Box) on the Zed. The good news is that you can simply copy all your favourite downloaded songs onto a USB memory drive (Which are as cheap as chips nowadays) and the audio system on the Zed will play them and display all the track titles.

Just buy a 4gb USB drive from Tesco's / Asda etc - set up a few blank folders on there: -

Rock
Indie
Love songs (for the missus)
etc, etc

Then just drag and drop all the various downlaoded music into the various folders on the USB drive.

Plug it into the USB drive on the Zed and hit the road!

All the best

Martin

#10 Mart Midlifecrisis

Mart Midlifecrisis

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

Rock
Indie
Love songs (for the missus)
etc, etc

All the best

Martin

Ouch - Just got a slap from my darling wife who accused me of 'sexism' (Quite rightly) for the 'Love songs for the missus comment'. She reminded me that she's got loads more Rock CD's than me and highlighted the fact that I have some extremely embarrassing CD's in my collection. (No - I'm not naming them!)

Sincere apologies to all female members of this Forum - rest assured it was a very hard slap!

Martin

#11 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,663 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

I have one particular compilation CD that I was given several years ago by a friend - All the tracks are MP3 but dont seem to have any built-in identification.

If I downloaded them to my PC is there a way of adding the title and artist to the track and then re-cutting it to a CD?

Sorry to divert your thread but one of my resolves for 2011 is to get my music collection sorted!

#12 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Nissan decided to remove the CF card on the UK 09 GTRs so that you couldn't update the Gracenote Database :)
However the card reader is hidden behind a cover apparantly ;) Later cars had the USB as per the later Zs.
2016 GT-R Recaro Black. A younger model is not necessarily better...

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...
Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

#13 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,946 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Great info Martin - thanks :)

I have one particular compilation CD that I was given several years ago by a friend - All the tracks are MP3 but dont seem to have any built-in identification.

If I downloaded them to my PC is there a way of adding the title and artist to the track and then re-cutting it to a CD?

Sorry to divert your thread but one of my resolves for 2011 is to get my music collection sorted!

Sounds dodgy ;)

But, yes, there are several free MP3 tagging utilities (I used MP3TAG some years back). Just copy the MP3s to your PC, edit the tags then burn them back onto a fresh disc.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#14 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,946 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

I hope you don't mind Martin, I've copied the salient points of your post into the relevant place in the members section (here) for completeness.

You get full credit for the info :)

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#15 andy.j

andy.j

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Will be easy - just send loadsamoney to your Nissan Dealer! :)

;) thought as much!

Posted Image

2010 Twilight Grey 370z - My First Z! - Here is how I made it mine

#16 2011_370z

2011_370z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hi - some other manufacturers enable you to download an updated version of the database, which is released quarterly apprently. I'm just downloading the one from the Acura website....

Has anyone else tried updating the actual CDDB database rather than simply getting the missing track names which is what the Nissan process above seems to do?

Cheers,

S.

#17 2011_370z

2011_370z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

The Acura one didn't work - so have contacted Nissan technical support - we'll see if they come up with anything...

#18 2011_370z

2011_370z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Nissan technical have pointed me at the following site: http://infinitieurop...enote-page.html

It's pretty much the same as the post above - just that was the USA Infiniti site.

So it seems you can't update the database as such, just use the PC to fill in any missing blanks...

#19 Tom Ellison

Tom Ellison

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

Just joined the forum and this worked perfectly so I could clean up the messy database the previous owner created :)
  • Paul_S likes this

#20 Squarehead

Squarehead

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say I've just updated mine and it works a treat! All the cd's I've borrowed off my Mrs now have updated track listings! It's a bit of a faff but nothing too hard, it just takes a bit of time to upload the new track names in your car. 

Oh, and the s/w only works on windows and no mac d/l available which is a pain. So I had to dig out an old laptop from the attic as I'm now running mac's. 

Good instructions though  - thanks OP!

• Paul_S likes this
2010 370z GT Grey
Reversing camera 
Modded air intakes