#1 Dunkey

Dunkey

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:12 am

Herrow! :crazy:

Progress thread for the car that replaced my old zed, awww.

So she started off like this... (from the advert)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota celica GT4 rare uk model

280bhp

Engine

Forged engine using cp pistons
eagle con rods.
acl race bearings.
New valve guides, valve stem oil seals
cometic metal headgasket.
ARP bolts throughout.
new toyota water pump
New cambelt fitted at the time of rebuild.
blitz filter
hks ssq dump valve
Lagged chargecooler
hks turbo timer.

Bodywork and Interior

Body coloured bumpers
Power assisted steering
Electric windows, sunroof and mirrors
air con
Factory option side skirts
momo race Steering wheel and boss.
oz stile wheels.
new 4x goodyear eagle f1 tyers
kyb shocks (fitted 5000miles ago)
Blitz nur spec stainless cat back exhaust
boost,oil pressure,oil temp gauges

Security

Locking wheel nuts
Cliford Thatcham cat 1 alarm with certificate to prove authenticity.

Bad bits

some lacquer comming off spoiler in picture
electric aerial will not go down

12 nov 2011

> First thing I had to sort (after spending 150 litres of fuel in 6 days...) was the aerials grinding attempts at going up and down every time the ignition was turned. I had this on my old GTO so I know it's just the teeth in the mechanism that have worn out and need replacing. For the time being I just disconnected it. I may keep the extendy stock one and fix it or I may go for an internal one and blank the stock hole off, decision still to be made...

> Next, I decided to burn the boot install in a big fire

Posted Image

Much in the spirit of the early days of my zed modding I didn't look at any manual/haynes/forum, I just tore into it pulling the car to bits :D Working on an old jap car is always rewarding as there are only ever 2 screws between you and the bit you want to come off. Here are the pictures as i went along.

The whole install just lifted straight out of the boot, who ever did it originally left enough slack in the wires to make it nice and easy.

Posted Image

With a weight close to that of a small whale I will probably find the car drives better without it.

Posted Image

annoyingly it was wired down both sides of the car so i had to do a farily big trim strip to get them out

Posted Image

Having to sift through previous owners terrible wiring jobs I spied a few future fix's I'd need to do.

Posted Image

It all came apart really easily, I also found the headunit had a Aux in that was lying unused, got some cables into that and have the phone connected to it now :)

Posted Image

The terrible wiring quality continued into the engine bay where the power was coming from for the amp with its fuse. I took the opportunity to redo some of it with nice glue lined heatshrink. I couldn't bring myself to sell something so badly put together.

Posted Image

So the boot install is out, all wrapped up and ready to be sold (no idea what so ever what it's worth)

Posted Image

I also had to remove the terrible boot floor that was made out of half inch thick mdf adding yet more weight. the boot is now all clear :)

Posted Image

Then It got dark so I stopped for the day. Tomorrow I will tell you all about my awesome phone holder :lol:
Posted Image

The artist formerly known as Husky

Dunky:
The punishment suffered by pirates if caught m'bating while on watch
"Avast Jim-lad, what be that ye be doin? Floggin' molly on night's watch?! It be either Jack Ketch or a dunky for ye then!"
http://www.urbandict...y&defid=6026611

#2 Dunkey

Dunkey

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:21 am

Another thing to note. Annoyingly whoever did the audio install cut into the dash to get the single Din box in under it :huh:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Dunky:
"Avast Jim-lad, what be that ye be doin? Floggin' molly on night's watch?! It be either Jack Ketch or a dunky for ye then!"

#3 Dunkey

Dunkey

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:47 am

Apologies if i think out loud here but...

Taking the original spec on the sale here are my thoughts...

280bhp - It was dyno'd at 279bhp before the forged bits were added, essentially it should just be the same but it's not been dyno'd recently. I'm not one for chasing bhp so I couldn't tell you if it was hub or fly or bananas that it was measured on.

Forged engine using cp pistons
eagle con rods.
acl race bearings.
New valve guides, valve stem oil seals
cometic metal headgasket - Any ideas on the advantages of this?
ARP bolts throughout.
new toyota water pump
New cambelt fitted at the time of rebuild - the engine was rebuilt due to failure of the piston ring on one cylinder, it didn't need rebored as no damage was done other than the knackered piston. At the same time as getting the rebuild the previous owner decided he may aswell put forged jobbies in instead of stock.
blitz filter - This will be going as metal mesh doesn't make the best filtration medium!
hks ssq dump valve - tee hee
Lagged chargecooler - Seems an ok job, not much you can do wrong though.
hks turbo timer. - did some reprogramming on this as it was doing my tits in staying on for 40 seconds no matter what even when manouvering. I turned the low rev timer down to 20 seconds, the "after you have caned it" timer was left alone.

Bodywork and Interior - bodywork needs a good polish as it is quite swirly, it's not too high on the list of priorities at the moment though

Body coloured bumpers
Power assisted steering
Electric windows, sunroof and mirrors
air con
Factory option side skirts
momo race Steering wheel and boss.
oz stile wheels. - these will be thrown on the big fire with the boot install, not entirely my taste
new 4x goodyear eagle f1 tyers
kyb shocks (fitted 5000miles ago)
Blitz nur spec stainless cat back exhaust - Another one contending for space on the fire. It started off with no bung in as thats how i bought it. this didnt last long as both me and my mate had incredibly bad headaches from it within 20 mins. I mean head pounding painful headaches. I sprayed the bung metalic black and put it in. The exhaust is a droning horrible sound, no refinement. Will be replaced at some point.
boost,oil pressure,oil temp gauges - I really want to move these as a pet hate of mine are A pillar gauges, they are just too in your face (pardon the pun) Although I still want to keep the information I just don't want it to look ricer which sadly gauges tend to do. I looked at an OLED system that you can use to display everything in one pod, you can even mount it behind the rear view mirror glass which appeals to me.... although I would need to get about 400 quids worth of stuff to get it to work :/

Security

Locking wheel nuts
Cliford Thatcham cat 1 alarm with certificate to prove authenticity. - Had to reprogram some of this as setting the alarm off 4 times at the petrol pump was a tad embrassing, it's been installed fairly well but it is the most basic version of that model with no extra features such as remote start (something i want!)

Bad bits

some lacquer comming off spoiler in picture - not decided what to do with this yet, i was going to wrap it in black as a temporary measure but it looks like it would be an a*** ache. seems i wil just have to bite the bullet and get it resprayed.
electric aerial will not go down
Posted Image

Dunky:

#4 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,755 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:05 am

I'm going to watch this thread with great interest :)

It certainly looks like a nice project you have there. It looks like it's almost more satisfying ripping out the chav mods rather than starting with a standard car.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#5 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,371 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:22 am

Looks like a good thread already, keep up the good work.

If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

#6 Chilli Red

Chilli Red

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 22,872 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:58 am

Busy Boy! Love the bonefire, looks a bit like a coven! :lol:

Will be watching you too

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d  premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it

Check out our - 2014 & 2015 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

#7 IanP

IanP

Zedling

• User (10)
  • 1,113 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:08 am

Chav tastic :P
  • Dunkey likes this
2003 HKS Supercharged 350Z - Gone
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R - Arrived

Posted Image

#8 Dunkey

Dunkey

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:41 pm

Thanks guys :)

Yes it is pretty satisfying ripping bits out :lol:

and Sarah, you are so mean to me!
Posted Image

Dunky:

#9 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:17 pm

That looks like a very good start to your Faff-ing (and no, that's not a grammatical error, as "Faff" is the a.k.a. for GT4s).

I used to live near someone who had a non-turbo Generation 6 Celica, and it looked very well engineered - unsurprisingly, perhaps, but good to see nonetheless. The engine bay looked nice and roomy too, which I also thought probably gave plenty of space for the turbo, and gubbins, and anything else a lot of future owners might fancy putting in there. Which a lot did.

I like the idea of the banana scale of measuring horse power. :lol: :clap:

cometic metal headgasket - Any ideas on the advantages of this?

Off the top of my head, I don't know. But hopefully it will take more heat etc. It does sound better than a comedic metal headgasket though. :teeth:

boost,oil pressure,oil temp gauges - I really want to move these as a pet hate of mine are A pillar gauges, they are just too in your face (pardon the pun) Although I still want to keep the information I just don't want it to look ricer which sadly gauges tend to do. I looked at an OLED system that you can use to display everything in one pod, you can even mount it behind the rear view mirror glass which appeals to me.... although I would need to get about 400 quids worth of stuff to get it to work :/

I quite like the look of them in other's cars, but would probably quickly grow tired of them in my own. I like the OLED idea, but as you say it's not a cheap oprtion. Fortunately there are plenty of other options around and about now, so you've probably got more choice than you could wish for.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#10 Dunkey

Dunkey

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:10 am

Yes i noticed that, why are they called Faff?

I'll have to have a ponder on the gauges, I need to scout about the dash to see where i want to mount them beofr ei go changing anything else. On another note, they have stopped working since i cut the wire to the amp. My guess is some shoddy wiring has come loose somewhere and needs redone.

I spent today sorting through old 350z bits so didnt get a chance to fiddle with the car :( still, out with the old and in with the new.
Posted Image

Dunky:

#11 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:37 am

"Faff" comes from the fact that that's what owners spend more and more of their time doing. "Have a GT4?". "Yes!". "You will faff!". :thumbs:

Shoddy wiring on electrical mods is a bane, but at least it sounds like you're ready for it. And, as you say, out with the old and in with the new. "The King is dead, long live the King". :)

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#12 Dunkey

Dunkey

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:58 pm

:lol: I'm not surprised, it's such an easy car to work on.

my biggest issue at the moment is that I have driven it to work EVERY day since i got it :help: It's meant to be my weekend toy not daily driver
Posted Image

Dunky:

#13 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:53 pm

That's boost for you.

From other Faff owners I've known, for them not to be a daily driver you've almost got to take the whole engine out. Otherwise, they get used mid-build, whatever . . .

And now I'm getting tempted . . . :drive1 :lol:

#14 Dunkey

Dunkey

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:06 pm

Haha everythig you say sounds very true!! i may aswell sell the saxo and get shares in BP
Posted Image

Dunky:

#15 Dunkey

Dunkey

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:38 pm

> 14 Nov 2011

So tonight after playing MW3, who isn't at the moment (it's a pile of cack) I decided to go out and fix the wiring that came loose while i was removing the sub. I decided it was best to cut out the crappy blue clip on splitter thing as i detest them. I cut it away, soldered the wires up and hey presto, working dials.

Posted Image

HOWEVER....like most things in life I am uncomfortable not knowing how they work, where are they connected, how are they connected, etc etc etc. So this is just a stop gap until I trace the wiring through the car and redo it myself in some way.

THEN. . . My nemises came into view, I wasn't ready for it, I put my hand in and thought "I know what that feels like" then, omfgwtfbbq!!!!1!1!111!! this was found.

Posted Image

ITS LIKE A DISEASE!!! WHY CAN'T YOU JUST DIE!!!!

Posted Image

I will be operating on this section soon with the hope that it hasn't spread further into her.

Then I went for a drive, because lets face it, you have to make sure the dials all work correctly at their full sweep... :innocent:
Posted Image

Dunky:

#16 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:51 am

:lol:

Aww man! That was an incredbly funny post.

"I hate scotchloks, and was delighted to get rid of one and get something working, but then . . . !" :yikes: :rofl:

I don't know anyone who's serious about electrics who likes them, but I think if you're not they're alright. That latter picture looks worryingly like too many though. Far too many.

#17 Dunkey

Dunkey

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:46 am

too many AND on audio connections. the mind boggles :(

They are ok for the odd joint, for power. If done correctly and tapes up after they arent the end of the world if it would be a big hassle to get the soldering iron deep into the car. However this is just retarded.

I will admit to looking forward to removing them all, i find it soothing :lol:
Posted Image

Dunky:

#18 Dunkey

Dunkey

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:45 pm

18 Nov 2011:

half day friday meant I finally had light to work on the car, I took advantage and got to work asap. After talking to one of the aero guys at work in length about the spoiler and what impact changing it would have (thinking safety at high speed), it turned out there should be no real problem removing the blocks raising it up. I did some research and found the blocks on there are from the homologation versions of the car, so they are the exact set up the WRC car used. As nice as it is to have some rally heritage on the car I felt they had to go. I'm not one to care about other peoples opinions but the spoiler was attracting the wrong kind of attention.

So here is the spoiler removed, was only held on by four bolts.

Posted Image

Here's the dirt from under them

Posted Image

and unfortunately no padding material was used under it so it just destroyed the paint :headhurt: here it is cleaned up

Posted Image

Posted Image

spoilerless!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I set to work on the hinge of the arm rest cubby, they are terribly flimsy plastic hinges that break easily so I decided to make a metal replacement. I got myself some aluminium and made a rough prototype with a hacksaw, file and drill. Having looked around the web there doesn't seem to be anyone already doing an uprated hinge and they break loads so I will probably look at getting a big lot of them made and sell them off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also velcro'd my turbo timer on properly as it was barely hanging in there

Posted Image

Also managed to throw some wash over the car and spray some quick detailer on the bonnet

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not bad for a couple of hours work I thought :D
Posted Image

Dunky:

#19 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,755 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:43 pm

That looks proper clean now mate.

I like the look of your more 'sleeker' Celica :) That said, I like it with the high wing too.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#20 Dunkey

Dunkey

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:57 pm

I'm 50/50 on either spoiler. but this way i wont get tailed as badly by idiots, I have never been treated so badly on the road and I feel it's safer to not have it.
Posted Image

Dunky:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: celica, gt4, build thread, dunky