Posted Image

Photo

LED Side Lights, Number Plate Lights, Reverse Lights, etc.

370Z LED Light sidelight bulb

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 G5 VAR

G5 VAR

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Despite it being dark and 1oC outside I couldn't help trying out the CREE LED. I had a spare one in the garage and I couldn't wait to see how it would look compared to the Prism one.

Here is the CREE illuminated:
Posted Image

Here is the CREE fitted:
Posted Image

And the old Prism fitted:
Posted Image

And here they are side by side (the new CREE in the left of the picture and the Prism on the right):
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's obviously very difficult to photo the lights in the dark to get a true comparison but I think the pictures show that the CREE is a bit brighter and whiter than the Prism LED.

I was pleasantly surprised that the CREE fitted in the bulb holder a lot more snug that in the Juke. I wonder if I was imagining it before (something I will have to check).

I am now seriously considering getting some more CREE for the reverse and number plate lights.

Out tonight doing that is hard core Paul- Definately whiter and brighter

#22 Paul_S

Paul_S

Committee Member and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

Yes it was a little :cold: I'm pleased I tested it though.

I think I might get some ordered and see how cold it is on Sunday :lol:

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

Posted Image

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#23 Jace

Jace

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Is it a fair test if the bulbs are of a different age?

Would the comparison be harder to judge if they were of a similar lifespan for example?

#24 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

That's an interesting point. Does anyone know if LEDs slowly degrade, or do they just suddenly die? I always thought they were as good as the day you bought the until they stopped working, but I could be wrong.

When I removed the old one that had failed, the plastic casing around them looked as good as new.

Posted Image

#25 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Committee Member

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

LED's dont get anywhere near as hot as a standard incandescent bulb (typically 2000 degrees celsius on the fragile wire inside) its the sudden heating up and cooling down that f##ks the average bulb, because LED's dont have this massive change in temp they wont degrade much at all but may just stop working.

Aircraft manufacturers have started using LED's for this very reason. (useless piece of information)

If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

#26 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Good info there Greg. That is relevant to a lot of applications but the sidelight LEDs sit in the same light housing as the headlights so they must be subject to some serious heat still.

I guess that would only have a negative effect on the lifespan of the LED bulbs.

Posted Image

#27 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Committee Member

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Good info there Greg. That is relevant to a lot of applications but the sidelight LEDs sit in the same light housing as the headlights so they must be subject to some serious heat still.

I guess that would only have a negative effect on the lifespan of the LED bulbs.

The heat mentioned earlier is within the glass bulb, the heat felt outside is significantly lower, i can only guess but i would not expect the temp inside the headlight to be too high (would be worth finding out though). If your travelling at speed the airflow over the headlight may even help cooling of the headlight but thats all getting a bit technical :focus:

If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

#28 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Haha, maybe I was over-thinking it! Certainly the outer plastics on the old LED looked like new with no 'whiting' or anything from heat.

Posted Image

#29 MaDMaXX

MaDMaXX

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 951 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

Sorry i'm late, what'd i miss? :)

So it seems, as Paul probably saw from my other threads, that the UK uses another name for all the bulbs, this seems to mean UK buyers = shafted :(

Bulbs used in the US models are the same fitment types, from what i've found, so just use those names to search.

I've bought LED's from online stores (US based) and some from e-hong-kong-bay. All were good bulbs, with the ebay ones being exceptionally cheap and no real discernible difference between them.

LED's do or should last a lot longer than normal filament bulbs, however, they suffer when exposed to heat sources. A lot of places now no longer guarantee their LED's when used in certain models of car, basically anything that puts the headlight bulb in the same compartment as the LED, so sidelight applications usually.
However, HID lights don't put out the same temp as halogen bulbs, so far mine have been fine, though it's not exactly been warm here.

Personally i'd recommend just getting the ones from a larger ebay seller, the price means you pretty much can't go wrong. Just make sure you choose the newer SMD versions (surface mount) as they're much brighter than anything produced before. Remember, LED's do not usually put out the same amount of light a filament bulb can.
Lots of SMD's mounted on the silicone is the way to combat this.

I'm using 5 SMD 168 bulbs for the side lights, number plate lights & side marker lights. I've also replaced the interior light and the tail lights.

If anyone wants any help identifying the "global" name for the bulb types, let me know :)

#30 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Having given it some more thought, I'm going to order the some of these and do another comparison.

Posted Image

Well, why not? :lol:

Posted Image

#31 MaDMaXX

MaDMaXX

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 951 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:50 AM

Those look like 5050 SMD 5 LED 168's ;) They the ones you want, but in future, head for the ones that aren't just circuit board exposed, base should be plastic. Reason being, they then have wire folded over the base, this can then be bent out slightly before inserting the bulb and help it hold tighter in the slot.
  • Chubbs likes this

#32 T.C

T.C

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Anyone since this thread was last subscribed to found better/different LEDs that have worked well ?

White 370 Nismo 2013. 

#33 GIXXERUK

GIXXERUK

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

I have fitted led's to .............

reverse lights

number plate lights

interior dome lights

front side lights

vanity mirror lights

boot interior light

non have given a canbus error

I tried the indicators with a canbus error free led and they flashed too fast, so I fitted a 50w resistor and they worked but I wasn't happy with the bulbs, they were too directional (needed more light out of the side of the bulb to make the most of the reflectors), I am still looking for a suitable type but led's are quite rare in amber and they are even rare in the size needed for the indicators, the quest continues......

• Paul_S and T.C like this
Posted Image

my old 350z above, need to update with my le mans 370z  

#34 T.C

T.C

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Thats an interesting one when reading back through the thread relating to Can Bus Errors. I'm assuming then the Indicators need Can Buss Error Free bulbs but interior lights, side lights etc etc don't need error free ones. There are so many too choose from these days. :headhurt:

White 370 Nismo 2013. 

#35 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

That's interesting GIXXERUK, thanks :thumbs:

If you get a moment could you post up links for the ones you bought? :)

Posted Image

#36 MaDMaXX

MaDMaXX

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 951 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Canbus us only for vehicles that have that system for checking lights out, not sure the 350 does, mine certainly doesn't.

#37 PaulC

PaulC

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Just fitted LEDs to license plate on the 370z just ahead of getting the reversing camera fitted. Went for these.....

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

Although these are 10w LEDs instead of the 5w ordinary bulb, I cannot see any issues and they are MUCH BRIGHTER!

Now need to order LEDs for side lights and pluck up courage to take wheel arch to bits.

Attached Thumbnails

• $_12.jpg

• LESmo likes this

#38 GIXXERUK

GIXXERUK

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Just fitted LEDs to license plate on the 370z just ahead of getting the reversing camera fitted. Went for these.....

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

Although these are 10w LEDs instead of the 5w ordinary bulb, I cannot see any issues and they are MUCH BRIGHTER!

Now need to order LEDs for side lights and pluck up courage to take wheel arch to bits.

Sidelights are easy, just turn the wheel, jack up slightly to increase the arch gap and remove a few clips :thumbs:
  • PaulC likes this
Posted Image

my old 350z above, need to update with my le mans 370z  

#39 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Yep, nice and easy :)

I managed to do mine without jacking it up but it is a little tight.

Posted Image

#40 Maddog

Maddog

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

I did mine without jacking just turned the wheel a little , just don't drop the bulb!

2007 Gunmetal 350z HR - Sold

2012 Pearl White 370z GT Edition auto - Sold

2012 Pearl White 370z GT Edition auto - Stillen Supercharger, Level 10 transmission , Quaife diff - Sold

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 370Z, LED, Light, sidelight, bulb