Posted Image

Photo

Key light / steering lock fault / no ignition / no start - now it's happened to mine too!

370Z steering lock light fault

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_S

Paul_S

Committee Member and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,668 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

I had an unexpected walk home from the station tonight.  Ever since the steering lock failures came to light I've been keeping a very close eye on the warning signs.  But I had none.  It was fine this morning, and it failed tonight.

Still, it could have been a lot worse.  I was only a few miles from home (1 mile from the dealer!) and the car was left in a safe place.

I followed my own advice and took the opportunity to call Nissan Customer Services whilst I was walking home.  I've got a reference number from them and emailed my dealer tonight.

So we'll see how this one progresses.  The clock has started ticking and I'll keep you all updated :)

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

Posted Image

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#2 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,668 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

First thing in the morning I'll take the other fob to be sure it's not a low battery.  However, I didn't get any indication the battery was getting low and it unlocked the doors fine using the proximity sensor and button many times tonight.

Edit: I just found a stash of new CR 2032 batteries so I will replace the one in my fob as a precaution.  It will also help if / when I go back to Nissan if there really is an issue.

Edited by Paul_S, 28 March 2013 - 10:17 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,668 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Right, a quick update.  I went to the car again this morning with the second fob and a new battery for the old one.  I knew when I unlocked the car from about 5 metres away it wasn't going to fix it.

As soon as I unlocked the doors the key light was on and the 'lock' light on the start button was illuminated.  There was no way past that stage.

I have been doing some reading on how to get around the problem but I am not going to touch it because I want Nissan to fit me a new one and any tampering by me might invalidate that.  If I was stuck in the middle of nowhere I might have given it a try.

A quick call to the RAC (free breakdown with Nissan servicing) and I will meet them with the car soon.  I wonder how easy it will be getting it out of a multi-storey car park when you can't steer  :yikes:

Posted Image

#4 T.C

T.C

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

What years yours Paul?

White 370 Nismo 2013. 

#5 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Oh dear sorry to hear this Paul. I'm convinced the cold weather is partly to blame.

Lets see if Nissan can get the part in a sensible time frame and not charge silly money for it.

There is a fuse that can be removed but don't think this a good idea.

I guess you are out of warranty now?

2016 GT-R Recaro Black. A younger model is not necessarily better...

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...
Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

#6 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,668 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Mine is a 2009 car with the revision B steering lock.  The warranty ran out in October.

I've just come back after meeting the RAC there.  No joy getting it going.

The biggest challenge at the moment is getting it out of the car park.  There is a 2m height restriction and some exciting narrow ramps!

Luckily it's failed in the 'unlocked' position but TBH I don't think it makes a great deal of difference at the moment.

Posted Image

#7 T.C

T.C

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Not ideal I know but can you use trolly jacks to move it to where it can be lifted, I have two trolly jacks if I can help.

White 370 Nismo 2013. 

#8 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,668 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

This is a picture of the lights in 'failure mode' (Key light on, Start button Lock light on).  There is no way past this all the time the ECU doesn't get the OK signal from the steering lock:

gallery_245_77_43177.jpg

Not ideal I know but can you use trolly jacks to move it to where it can be lifted, I have two trolly jacks if I can help.

Thanks for your offer of help :)

I just met 2 tow trucks at the car park and they didn't seem confident about getting the car out!

Like I said before, I didn't want to get into trying to fix the issue but I thought I would try some 'percussive maintenance' on the lock.  i.e. tapping the lock (quite gently) with the handle of a screwdriver whilst repeatedly trying the start button.  This actually worked!  I was able to drive the car to the dealer where is it ready for them to inspect it.

Unfortunately the lock is now operating normally!  Typical :lol:  From reading other reports about this that it will fail again so I have little faith in the lock until it gets replaced.  I am keeping my trusty screwdriver in the car from now on!

There are things than can be done now it is working OK.  I could pull the fuse or cut the wire on pin 1 going into the lock to disable the lock from working.  However, I am not happy doing this and I don't suppose my insurance company would be very happy either.

I will see that Nissan make of it but I will be pushing for a replacement before I am stranded again - today has been totally lost to getting the car recovered back to the dealer as it is.

Finally, one other thing to mention.  None of the attempts below worked when we were trying to get it started:

• Disconnecting the battery for a time
  • Disconnecting the cable into the lock
  • A combination of the above
  • Trying the second fob & new batteries

Thanks again to everyone who responded to this thread and PMd me :thumbs:

Posted Image

#9 andy.j

andy.j

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

This is a picture of the lights in 'failure mode' (Key light on, Start button
There are things than can be done now it is working OK.  I could pull the fuse or cut the wire on pin 1 going into the lock to disable the lock from working.  However, I am not happy doing this and I don't suppose my insurance company would be very happy either.

I suppose this would mean that when they ask you if there is an alarm amobilisor fitted, you just say no? I wonder how much difference this would have you your premium!

Posted Image

2010 Twilight Grey 370z - My First Z! - Here is how I made it mine

#10 Kev T

Kev T

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 976 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

Tbh how important is it to have the steering lock on the car as Nissan have stopped fitting it to Z's from 2012 anyway plus it is impossible to start modern cars without the key, just seems to me to be an old school inconvenience.

#11 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,668 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

I agree Kev, it's an outdated system although I guess if you lock the wheels at an angle it stops thieves dragging the car onto a transporter or into a truck.  It doesn't stop them it they have a lifting arm of course!

The thing is though, if it's standard on the car and it's not working you have tell your insurer or you might have a real battle if your car gets nicked.

In a similar way I don't declare our house alarm on the insurance (even though it would save me money) because we don't get it serviced every year by a 'qualified technician'.  If we were burgled and I had used it to get a discount it I'm sure the insurance company would squirm out of it.

Posted Image

#12 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,668 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

I suppose this would mean that when they ask you if there is an alarm amobilisor fitted, you just say no? I wonder how much difference this would have you your premium!

I don't know quite what you would say because the alarm & immobiliser still works with the steering lock disabled.  You will have lost a layer of security though.

Posted Image

#13 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,668 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Oh, one more top tip for anyone who has this problem - beware of disconnecting the battery when the key light is on.  The reason being that the automatic window function does not work properly after the battery has been disconnected and needs to be reset.  You will find that the window drops every time you open the door but it doesn't pop back up again when you shut it.  Also, because you can't turn the ignition on, you cannot wind the window up with the switches in the door.

Naturally you try locking / unlocking the car to get it working and yesterday we were in the position that the driver window was all the way down with no way of rolling it up :(

Posted Image

#14 Kev T

Kev T

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 976 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Todays car thieves don't use tow trucks, they break into your home and steal the keys ................. far easier !

• T.C likes this

#15 Kev T

Kev T

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 976 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Been onto the the USA forum, they now have an official Nissan recall on the steering lock problem, are we going to be the poor relations once again over this issue ?

• Paul_S likes this

#16 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,668 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Been onto the the USA forum, they now have an official Nissan recall on the steering lock problem, are we going to be the poor relations once again over this issue ?

Well spotted mate.  It seems it's just been announced over there.  I will speak to Nissan about this after the Easter break :)

Posted Image

#17 andy.j

andy.j

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Is there an easy way to check which revision you have? I just re-read the other threads, but I haven't seen any pictures of the offending part, is it buried away somewhere?

Posted Image

2010 Twilight Grey 370z - My First Z! - Here is how I made it mine

#18 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,668 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

It's quite easy, just stick your head in the driver side footwell and look up.  The lock is a big metal object just forward of the ODBII connector.  I'll just dig out a picture of mine...

Posted Image

#19 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,668 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

I can't find the pic of mine just yet, but this is one scottishpedro took of his replacement 'D' part:

steeringlock.jpg

Posted Image

#20 Philb1965

Philb1965

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Blow the fuse...shove it back in..job done?..not that I would condone this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 370Z, steering, lock, light, fault