#1282 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:27 AM

Something for the weekend, sir?

Oh yes! - It's warm and sunny - so those reversing sensors are getting fitted today :) Wish me luck in getting the holes drilled in the right place (I'll need it) ...and watch this space!

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

Most cars are A to B. Mine is A to Z.

#1283 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

Something for the weekend, sir?

Oh yes! - It's warm and sunny - so those reversing sensors are getting fitted today :) Wish me luck in getting the holes drilled in the right place (I'll need it) ...and watch this space!

Yay! Parking sensors fitted and working - took me 3 hours, because I'm slow. Same as last time, I only fitted two, to supplement the reversing camera. I don't think it's necessary to fit all four. Cost me £16.99 :)

They're not too obvious. (ps - they ARE the same height. If they look wonky it's a trick of the camera lens).

sensors.jpg

LINK to 'how to do it' thread.

• Paul_S and Gav C like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#1284 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,229 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

Good work!

Nice driveway too :)

• Chubbs likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#1285 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:04 AM

...Nice driveway too :)

Yes, it's got a front entrance and a side entrance. I'm thinking of turning it into a carwash, staffed by young men from Europe, as our local carwash has just been forced to close. The neighbours would love it (not) ...Mrs Chubbs could sell 'while-u-wait' burgers & tea from the campervan, while I take the money, to pay for my road tax :)

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#1286 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

Cleaned the giant lump of bird s*** off my car. I swear they wait until I've just cleaned and waxed it.

• Jeff-W likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#1287 Jeff-W

Jeff-W

OCDT

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:36 PM

Although I managed to get the Zed presentable a few weeks ago, the new commute since March (albeit only 12 miles) has put poor Fred back into the same be-shi!!ed condition as the winter. Given the favourable forecast for today, I started at 7.20 this morn with the pressure washer (only 3 minutes for the sanity of my new neighbours) and then tried to get it clean. I just have not had the time, with a house move during a particularly poor winter, and a very late last snowfall, to see to the car.

The statutory snow foam, rinse and clean Daqua rinse was followed by a quick flash round with UF Quick Detailer. I began to see some water marks, surprising after a filtered rinse because the sun wasnt on the car by then. And then more water marks, so badly etched in to the clear lacquer layer that only machine polishing was going to get rid of them. As that wasnt an option today, because of time and strength of the sun, I got rid of the worst with Q2M Water Spot and had to settle for that. LESmo, forgive me.

Next on was the Bill Hamber Finis wax - this is my stock wax for just wax the car - but it deserves more praise than that because it is long lasting and very protective. This is not too long a process because I dont have to do the front which is wrapped, that only gets detailed.

There had to be much repositioning of the car by now, because the sun was quite strong, but finally I got a coat of Menzerna Sealant wax on the non-wrapped bits.

I had to stop at this point, but, still to do, is the front screen, where the G-Techniq film has degraded after 2 years and 9600 miles, and the alloys which need their annual TLC. Another day, maybe. But Fred looks better now.

Jeff.
OCDT.

PS. Photos tomorrow as I had to garage the car when I finished.
Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

#1288 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

Gave the Zed a good clean ready for a weekend away in Norfolk to celebrate my birthday  :D  (just me and the wife, kids at home with the in-laws!).  The car fitted in just right with the other executive and sports cars at the hotel.  Got a bit dirty by the time I got a photo but still looked great.  It was a shame to come home and get back to work yesterday...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180506_103417.jpg
  • 20180507_120721.jpg

• Chubbs, dj370zNismo, Paul_S and 1 other like this

#1289 mattross1313

mattross1313

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

Was a lovely morning, so gave Gizmo a clean and went out for pictures :D

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2791.jpg

• Chubbs, Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#1290 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

Gave her a clean with Bilt Hamber auto foam and Meguiers NXT generation car wash. Hopefully she will stay clean longer than last weekend where I washed her on Saturday and by Sunday morning was covered in a fine dust 👿
  • Chubbs, LESmo, Paul_S and 1 other like this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#1291 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 737 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

dropped her off at the bodyshop for some tlc...

Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'<br>EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads

Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376

#1292 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

MOT this morning. Another years ticket. :)

First time using this MOT centre but good vibes and had a quick chat about the car which the tester seemed to appreciate.

Only thing (which I was aware of) is the pressed steel components on the underside have a far bit of corrosion. The rear ties and braces etc and the guy even said it was a shame to see the rust vs's how good the rest of the car was but this is something I will be taking care of in the future.
  • Chubbs, Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 1 other like this
uJIbsrX.jpg?3

#1293 Medium

Medium

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:15 PM

Lowered on RSR Down springs. Perfect hight for every day use I reckon...

27498528017_e0a146a082_c.jpg

27498528407_a41bbd18d0_c.jpg

• Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#1294 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

Lowered on RSR Down springs. Perfect height for every day use I reckon...

How much lower than stock are they?

Also, nice to see you have a crest at the entrance to your property. Not by any chance Royalty, are you?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#1295 Medium

Medium

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:25 AM

How much lower than stock are they?

Also, nice to see you have a crest at the entrance to your property. Not by any chance Royalty, are you?

15mm according to the blurb; I reckon that's about right. They are said to work with stock geometry and I didn't want to start messing with suspension arms etc.

Royalty :lol:, St. Helen's Laa  :hunter: 

That sign is the bane of my life; I reckon I'd get 3 vehicles on the drive if it got cut down... :ninja:

• Chubbs and Paul_S like this

#1296 ChasGFL

ChasGFL

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

So this weekend despite the nice weather I decided to finally get round to installing the reversing camera kit that brought me to this forum at the back end of last year and the smart top kit I also purchased a little while ago. Although I'm not very mechanically minded I've always dabbled with electronics in one form or another over the years so wan't a complete novice.

I['ll post a bit more about the install on the thread about the kit, I did have a bit of a dilemma as to whether to put the camera on the left or right side. I decided on the right as it was hard enough to get the cable from the camera through to the boot without having to get the cable to navigate along from the left hand side to where the entry point was on the right. But now everything is in place I may have a go at moving it another time, as you can see the setup with the lines is for the camera going on the left and I have a slight issue with the top of the camera being covered by the bumper. Apart from that everything works fine, although when I reversed it back earlier I had to do it a couple of times as the first time I completely forgot it was now there!

As for the smart top, which I tried to do today, I got everything installed apart from one connection at the front of the car in the passenger foot well as although the wires are the same colours as per their diagrams they're in different places so now awaiting for their reply as to which I should do. The instructions are probably based on a LHD model but I don't want to risk it until I get confirmation. So currently I disconnected it all but have left it in situ so won't take long to connect it all back up again.

The only casualties from the last couple of days were one of the trim clips (lost) and one of the trim clips with the loop on for the cargo net (broken). If anyone can point me to where I can get those from without paying silly money from Nissan as I do use my cargo net, found standard clips ok but not the cargo net ones.

Oh yeah another casualty was my knuckles feeding the wire down from the top storage area along the left hand side down into the cockpit under the trim, which was even more of a nightmare than feeding the cable for the camera into the boot. I also had a slight panic... ok make that major panic, when I disconnected the smarttop and found the windows, seats and top were completely dead, after checking all the fuses and getting in even more of a panic, I eventually found I hadn't pushed the connector in the passenger well back in fully, phew.

IMG_20180527_172331.jpg IMG_20180527_135633.jpg

While working on the car I also noticed this where the edge of the roof is starting to come away a bit from the frame, it still covers it ok and I did try to pull it back down but just returned to where it was, I'll have to investigate further when I have some time, unless anyone has any experience of this?

IMG_20180527_140357.jpg

• Chubbs and Davectr like this

#1297 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

Have you actually tried Nissan for the cargo net clips? They're not expensive for every item.

• ChasGFL likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#1298 Jeff-W

Jeff-W

OCDT

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:35 PM

I finally got around to re-coating the front screen of the Zed with GTechniq clear screen. The original application had run out after 2 years/9,500 miles. This is lower than expected, but can be influenced by windscreen-wiper use (it was a wet winter) and road conditions when you have to use the wipers (the first 4 miles of my DD is awful). The usual longevity would be 12-15 k miles.

For those not familiar with the GTechniq products (no, I don't work for them, it's just brilliant stuff which beats the socks of anything else on the market IMHO) you do need a fair range of stuff to tackle any car.

Their glass products are prefixed G. So, G6 is the screen cleaner (other products would do this job) ; The usual size would last a year with weekly cleaning. The specialty ones are G4 to polish the screen, G1 which is the water repellent coat which chemically bonds onto the glass surface, and G2 which is the residue remover.

The stock issue of G4 from retailers would last 4-5 annual re-coats. The G1 and G2 are sold as a pair, designed to do one car, once. You can buy larger sizes as I have done, because I do the Juke windows as well.

Don't be daunted by this: GTechniq is very, very good for car glass. The application instructions are download-able from their website.

And the water repellent qualities have to be seen - literally. It will vary from type to type because of airflow, but for my Zed I do not need wipers above 51 mph. An Audi RS3 (Hi Neil!) owner tells me a figure in the early 40s for his car.

The car needs a 24 hour dry period after application of the G stuff, and nil use of wipers. If you do the side and back  screens, don't lower the windows or use the wiper. Just for a day.

Again, not an advert, just a product recommendation, available from many sources online and at events.

Jeff.

OCDT.

• dj370zNismo and David_R like this
Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

#1299 ChasGFL

ChasGFL

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

Have you actually tried Nissan for the cargo net clips? They're not expensive for every item.

No I've not, I'll give them a try

#1300 Kev T

Kev T

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

After 8 years of solid service but having to charge up every two weeks or so i have finally replaced the battery this afternoon took about 15 minutes :thumbs:.

• LESmo, Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this