69 replies to this topic

#21 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,037 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:14 pm

I'm just bumping this thread because I've had a few people ask about a forward facing camera for the Zed.

I have a few cameras I bought all that time ago, sitting on my bench waiting to be tested!

This is just one option, but there are other possibilities - including using the AUX input on the Connect Premium cars.  This solution is one I made for mine though as I don't have an AUX in as standard.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#22 bundus

bundus

Zedling

• User (10)
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:31 pm

This is awesome Paul. 

Sorry if I missed it in the thread but where did you mount the front camera?  Is it dash mounted or fitted into the bumper or something?

I missed out on getting my reverse cam kit from you at Mod Day and now im very interested in buying both as I love the idea of a front camera!

#23 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,037 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:56 pm

Cheers mate :)

The truth is I've not mounted a front camera on the Zed yet!  I did for Sarah's Juke and I've even made the box up and installed it on mine but for one reason or another I've still not got round to it :rolleyes:

I was thinking of maybe mounting it just under the number plate on that mount, or maybe within the grille beneath.  I suppose it will come down to a compromise between the best place for it Vs were it doesn't look bad.

With the 2009 reverse camera kit, it will effectively do this for you because of the 2nd video input.  So really all you need is the front camera...

#24 seanfeighery

seanfeighery

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:42 pm

Cheers mate :)

The truth is I've not mounted a front camera on the Zed yet!  I did for Sarah's Juke and I've even made the box up and installed it on mine but for one reason or another I've still not got round to it :rolleyes:

I was thinking of maybe mounting it just under the number plate on that mount, or maybe within the grille beneath.  I suppose it will come down to a compromise between the best place for it Vs were it doesn't look bad.

With the 2009 reverse camera kit, it will effectively do this for you because of the 2nd video input.  So really all you need is the front camera...

Id definitely look at buying both kits from you! How long until mainstream production? Lol

#25 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:44 pm

hey guys,

So i have the premium connect and i am planning on connecting a forward facing wireless cam through the AUX as Paul mentions...

I have already started a "bodge" (pics below) tested the feed from a dvd player in my house to the AUX located in the center console!! Roughly 20 feet from dvd to car through a wall.

I am planning on using the "spare" button (as i have no sync-rev on my auto :) ) to connect a switch to allow the brake ground and speed sensor to be deactivated and reactivated as required!

Cam has not arrived yet but my plan is to look for a location between the front grill and if possible in some way recessed someway to give a little protection... TBC and will post pics once i work it out!!
  • Paul_S likes this

#26 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,037 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:06 pm

Nice!  It's great to see you're making progress mate :thumbs:

I've often wondered about the wireless sender and if it works well then people with the 2009 camera kit are sorted.  No more work to be done!

As for the Connect Premium cars, then it will either benefit from the DVD override or a switch box into the reverse camera loom (as per the Juke video I posted).

Interesting times! :)

#27 PaulC

PaulC

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:43 pm

Still waiting delivery of my wireless front facing camera as per here's:-
http://forums.nissan...r-front-camera/
  • Paul_S and Todd370Z like this

#28 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,037 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:06 am

Still waiting delivery of my wireless front facing camera as per here's:-
http://forums.nissan...r-front-camera/

Yes, watching with interest :teeth:

#29 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:44 pm

sooo......

ok i made the obvious mistake.. didnt check "front facing" or not mirror camera ;) however progress is progress in my eyes and Ebay is just a click away!! :D

positioned to give me a general idea of the quality of the view...

The car in the picture is on the right hand side of my drive way... the quaility of the picture over wireless however is spot on!

#30 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,037 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:52 pm

Ooooh! :)

#31 Smasher

Smasher

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:44 am

sooo......

ok i made the obvious mistake.. didnt check "front facing" or not mirror camera ;) however progress is progress in my eyes and Ebay is just a click away!! :D

positioned to give me a general idea of the quality of the view...

The car in the picture is on the right hand side of my drive way... the quaility of the picture over wireless however is spot on!

This looks awesome, I have on route the kit from paul for the rear camera, and this is exactly the set-up i would want to add to get the front camera, as i am not keen on trying to run cables everywhere,

sorry for being dumb, but what is wrong with the camera shown in the pictures?

cheers Kev.

#32 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:59 am

This looks awesome, I have on route the kit from paul for the rear camera, and this is exactly the set-up i would want to add to get the front camera, as i am not keen on trying to run cables everywhere,

sorry for being dumb, but what is wrong with the camera shown in the pictures?

cheers Kev.

Hi Kev,

The camera works great, however its a mirror image camera, so the white car on the left hand side in the picture on the nav screen, is actually on the right hand side of my drive way.... so if you were using the camera to manouver, you would have to be very comfortable with opposite inputs... i.e. happy to forget and turn into the post your trying to miss!! :cry:

:lol: however the set up other than that is great and i am currently on the hunt for a "front" facing camera!

I have one of Paul's Reverse cameras that he fitted for me on Mod day and its a god send for sure!! 1000% more confident reversing into parking bays and just generally getting up close to the car/wall behind now... :clap:
  • Paul_S likes this

#33 Smasher

Smasher

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:03 am

Ah i see now, i look forward to seeing it when its sorted,

#34 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:26 pm

Following in the shadow and lead of Paul S Our resident tech jedi master! :starwars:

I am attempting to also collate a "how to" or more of a "how i did it!" guide so that anyone else wanting to do the same, can have some insight and also any "gotchyas" :stretcher: for their versions!!

#35 Jeff-W

Jeff-W

Events/OCDT

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:42 pm

With the set up Todd has, he too can look forward, but it's all in reverse!
Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

#36 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:39 pm

I can look forwards in reverse but only while sitting still :lol:

But SOON i will add motion and 20/20 front vison hehehe :D

:pimp:

p.s. can you tell i found the list of emotes :ph34r:

#37 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,037 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:42 pm

I meant to post up that I took a closer look at the front of the Zed when I washed it over the weekend.  Beneath the bumper is a handy little 'chin' which might be ideal for mounting a camera on:

gallery_245_426_4995.jpg

I expect it would give enough depth the mount camera I have (see below):

gallery_245_426_68577.jpg

I'll actually get round to doing this one day! :lol:

• Todd370Z likes this

#38 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:51 am

Front facing cam has arrived!!! the quality is very much dependant on power.. e.g. a 9v battery lasts about 1day on good quality just in a bench environment!!

Not an issue however once on the 12v car system, however i am now convinced that the front facing camera needs to be "switched" to live to ensure no battery drain however low when not in use.

Ramps, jacks and axel stands are next to allow cam placement, which i will capture in pics while finding a suitable engine bay and grill position for the transmitter and cam!

In Paul's photo above you can just see a central bracket with a threaded mount point! this is option 1at the moment!!!

#39 PaulC

PaulC

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:31 am

Front facing cam has arrived!!! the quality is very much dependant on power.. e.g. a 9v battery lasts about 1day on good quality just in a bench environment!!
Not an issue however once on the 12v car system, however i am now convinced that the front facing camera needs to be "switched" to live to ensure no battery drain however low when not in use.
Ramps, jacks and axel stands are next to allow cam placement, which i will capture in pics while finding a suitable engine bay and grill position for the transmitter and cam!
In Paul's photo above you can just see a central bracket with a threaded mount point! this is option 1at the moment!!!

If you install the led DRLs as per my 'How to' this would provide an auto switched supply when engine turns on

#40 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,037 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:13 am

Good stuff :)

I've just ordered a wireless sender kit too.  But I'm going to test it on a bird box cam :lol:

• Todd370Z likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 370Z, camera, forward, front