#41 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:36 am

If you install the led DRLs as per my 'How to' this would provide an auto switched supply when engine turns on

I will take a look and see :) for the reciever i am toying with the idea of somehow using the switch for the dvd bypass as a power switch too...

#42 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,347 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:37 am

Good stuff :)

I've just ordered a wireless sender kit too.  But I'm going to test it on a bird box cam :lol:

Euphemism Alert! Chubbs will be along shortly.....

• Paul_S, andy.j and Todd370Z like this

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#43 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:46 am

I will take a look and see :) for the reciever i am toying with the idea of somehow using the switch for the dvd bypass as a power switch too...

There is no +12v feed from the head unit plug that is used for the DVD override unfortunately, or I would have spliced into that for you.  You could tap into the +12v for the reverse camera.

Out of interest, how long does it take the wireless transmitter / receiver to sync up and start showing a stable picture (assuming that the video signal is already on)?  Is it stable from the beginning, or does it take a short while to settle down?

• Todd370Z likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#44 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:39 am

There is no +12v feed from the head unit plug that is used for the DVD override unfortunately, or I would have spliced into that for you.  You could tap into the +12v for the reverse camera.

Out of interest, how long does it take the wireless transmitter / receiver to sync up and start showing a stable picture (assuming that the video signal is already on)?  Is it stable from the beginning, or does it take a short while to settle down?

Sorry, i didn't mean it that way around :) Im not expecting a power feed :D just the speed sensor and hand brake...

I was thinking more of attaching the switch (when i finally get my hands on one) to a relay of some sort to activate a multitude of sins including the bypass and handbrake ground and also to provide an on/off power switch too.... (maybe a stretch too far but I am on mission now :zorro: )

As for the sync time it is almost instant for my testing so far, however 9v battery life is Very short and even a small loss in power degrades the picture quality dramatically and had me thinking i had broken the camera in some way.... it was only during my fault finding, I swapped the battery and it came back to full quality!

so for your "bird watching" :whistle: you may want a mains feed to your remote cam position or shares in duracell for the batteries... (or a solar charging station for it! OT but interesting concept)

I have actually bought two more wireless kits myself to set up security cams for covering my garage and garden as the quality was so good!

#45 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:30 pm

Thanks for the understanding everyone :lol:

Power isn't a problem as there is a socket nearby :)

Relays are good - lot's of possibilities :teeth:

Have you tried multiple wireless kits together?  I assumed that they were so cheap that they all work on the same frequency and would interfere with each other.

• Todd370Z likes this

#46 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,347 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:37 pm

Thanks for the understanding everyone :lol:

Power isn't a problem as there is a socket nearby :)

Relays are good - lot's of possibilities :teeth:

Have you tried multiple wireless kits together?  I assumed that they were so cheap that they all work on the same frequency and would interfere with each other.

... so... you're worried about seeing interference on your cam in the bird box...... :gathering:  

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#47 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:07 am

I have 3 sets currently, 1 for the car and two destined for security, I will set them all up,and trial said interferance!! will let you know... :)
  • Paul_S likes this

#48 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:38 pm

The wireless kit for 'Box Cam' has arrived.  I bet you can't wait for me to rig this up :lol:

#49 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:35 pm

The wireless kit for 'Box Cam' has arrived.  I bet you can't wait for me to rig this up :lol:

update on the wireless senders... Paul you were correct all run on the same frequency so be carefull what your broadcasting ;)

Also a word of warning.. I purchased 2 mains power supplies to allow me to set up a mini bench for testing, the cameras I have both have a converter of some discription inline on the power and these get fairly hot when in constant use. I am not saying they are a fire risk, however I am now definitely looking at providing a switched power to my Front camera set up, to ensure it is only taking power when i swith it on...

With the weather and lack of time i am a little behind my plans for install, however i will get all pics up ASA once i do!!
  • Paul_S likes this

#50 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:05 pm

Thanks for all your testing mate :thumbs:

Yes, the little 'Y' joint in the cable on the cameras contains a voltage converter to drop from 12v from the car to about 3.3v for the camera.

It's perfectly natural for them to run warm and there is no fear of powering them all the time the car is running - I've had some on full time test for literally months at a time.

• Todd370Z likes this

#51 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:15 pm

Oh, and on the subject of the video senders interfering with each other, it might be that one from a different manufacturer may not clash.  No guarantees, but worth a thought.

If I hadn't just bought one myself I'd have taken one off your hands mate.

• Todd370Z likes this

#52 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:19 am

Oh, and on the subject of the video senders interfering with each other, it might be that one from a different manufacturer may not clash.  No guarantees, but worth a thought.

If I hadn't just bought one myself I'd have taken one off your hands mate.

Oh im not worried, in fact im planning on using the fact to my advantage as it means you only need one reciever into the TV or DVR, then a way to switch the power on at each camera/sender to see my Garage doors or front drive.... (current thinking is to power from the security lights in some fasion... lights come on and the "channel is live") but to be worked out more yet i think... :D

I will be temp setting up the Front facing cam to get a good idea of viewable angles from the front grill tomorrow weather permitting, so pics to come!
  • Paul_S likes this

#53 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:24 am

Thanks for all your testing mate :thumbs:

Yes, the little 'Y' joint in the cable on the cameras contains a voltage converter to drop from 12v from the car to about 3.3v for the camera.

It's perfectly natural for them to run warm and there is no fear of powering them all the time the car is running - I've had some on full time test for literally months at a time.

This is good to know also!! but i will still be looking at a switched relay set up of some sort, to break the speed sensor, brake ground and to turn on power if i can manage it!

I am also hoping i can find a way to split the feed from the "AV in" connector in the center console also to hide the reciever under the trim amd also allow the traditional AV in to still be used!!

Any thoughts on that or pointers would be as ever very much gratefully recieved!!

#54 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:54 am

Oh im not worried, in fact im planning on using the fact to my advantage as it means you only need one reciever into the TV or DVR, then a way to switch the power on at each camera/sender to see my Garage doors or front drive.... (current thinking is to power from the security lights in some fasion... lights come on and the "channel is live") but to be worked out more yet i think... :D

I will be temp setting up the Front facing cam to get a good idea of viewable angles from the front grill tomorrow weather permitting, so pics to come!

Clever!

This is good to know also!! but i will still be looking at a switched relay set up of some sort, to break the speed sensor, brake ground and to turn on power if i can manage it!

I am also hoping i can find a way to split the feed from the "AV in" connector in the center console also to hide the reciever under the trim amd also allow the traditional AV in to still be used!!

Any thoughts on that or pointers would be as ever very much gratefully recieved!!

This old thread might be of interest to you then.  Basically, you can buy a generic unit that you connect to the speed signal of the car.  Above a certain speed it turns power off :)

I'll have to dig out the details of the one I was looking at around the time of that thread but I expect there are several on the market.

#55 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:57 am

Oh, and I can offer a hand on the AV input.  If you like I can split this in the loom I'm making up.  Or I'll show you what the connector looks like under the centre console.

I've one kicking around here so I'll take a pic :)

#56 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:11 pm

Here you go mate, the AUX input on the Connect Premium cars looks like this:

gallery_245_426_60516.jpg

You can see the wires more clearly in this shot:

gallery_245_426_64772.jpg

The wires are as follows (left to right as you see the plug above):

Green  - Composite video ground
Red    - Composite video signal

Yellow - Left audio signal
Blue   - Audio ground
Green  - Right audio signal

So you could splice into those wires or I can adapt your DVD override loom to splice into those wires to save you having to do it there.  

But if you did that, I'm not sure what would happen if you also plugged a video source into the socket.

If you wanted to use a relay to switch video feeds then I could adapt the DVD override loom further leaving you the wires needed to fit a relay.

I hope that helps, let me know if you want the loom made up any differently :)

#57 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:44 pm

Here you go mate, the AUX input on the Connect Premium cars looks like this:
gallery_245_426_60516.jpg

You can see the wires more clearly in this shot:
gallery_245_426_64772.jpg

The wires are as follows (left to right as you see the plug above):

Green  - Composite video groundRed    - Composite video signalYellow - Left audio signalBlue   - Audio groundGreen  - Right audio signal
So you could splice into those wires or I can adapt your DVD override loom to splice into those wires to save you having to do it there.  

But if you did that, I'm not sure what would happen if you also plugged a video source into the socket.

If you wanted to use a relay to switch video feeds then I could adapt the DVD override loom further leaving you the wires needed to fit a relay.

I hope that helps, let me know if you want the loom made up any differently :)
oohh this is good info.... and i think i can see how i will make the AV in work..

The overide loom for the speed and brake, would be good just as is, if thats ok, I want to keep each part of the puzzle seperate to allow me to make each step at a time... :D (simple is as simple does) :biggrin2:

#58 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:13 pm

Update.....

I now have a few additional parts for this set up including the S-Mode Switch to power the relays! I also have a remote relay setup (pics to follow) which when all wired up will (should) allow the power to the remote front cam, sender, reciever, aux input, speed sensor and brake sensor to all be switched/powered from the press of one single button!!

I will hopefully have a full rig completed shortly and ready to install in the next week or so!

:D
  • Paul_S likes this

#59 Todd370Z

Todd370Z

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:21 am

well.... been stupidly busy this last month but hoping to finalise the wiring this week and get to work on the install! all the parts i need i have its just the courage to do the work now!!! :)
  • Paul_S likes this

#60 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:50 am

well.... been stupidly busy this last month but hoping to finalise the wiring this week and get to work on the install! all the parts i need i have its just the courage to do the work now!!! :)

Go for it mate!  I'm getting impatient to see the results!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 370Z, camera, forward, front