#1 Ste_ac

Ste_ac

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:15 pm

Hi,

I am looking at buying another 370Z.  I've got the dealer to send me some pictures.  One of them is of the engine bay.  Am I being a bit too fussy, or making a thing out of nothing, but I was wondering what the gunge or dirt around the suspension turrets could be?  Either someone over eager with the spray grease or something more sinister from the engine?

Ste.

Attached Thumbnails

• Engine_bay.jpg

• Chilli Red likes this

#2 Paul_S

Paul_S

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 35,383 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:43 pm

It looks like it's just the wax sealant stuff Nissan squirt around the bay at the factory.  Mine has it too.  Nothing to worry about :)

Glad to see you're getting back onto the horse! :clap:

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#3 Chilli Red

Chilli Red

Club Secretary

• Administrators (10)
  • 23,330 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:49 pm

Agreed. Great news by the way.

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d  premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it - Alas, she has now gone too

350Z Chilli Red 2006, with full Do-Luck Kit and still looks as good as new!
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

#4 Jeff-W

Jeff-W

Club Chairman

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:17 pm

Ste, as Paul points out, this is a reasonably common practice both by Nissan and service garages. The grease attracts dirt and looks unsightly. Door hinges are another place they are over-liberal with grease. Something like Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover or Meguires Engine Bay Cleaner is all that's needed. The area can then be protected with an engine dressing to protect the paintwork.

Jeff.
Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

#5 Bodyman

Bodyman

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:11 pm

Looks like wax oil to me.

Perfectly normal. Just like me :D  

• Paul_S likes this

#6 Ste_ac

Ste_ac

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:07 pm

Is it possible to tell when looking at, or test driving a 370Z if it's had a hard life?

When I was looking l last year, there was a couple I walked away from because I didn't like how badly chipped the front was - one was almost stripped of paint.

Are there any cosmetic, mechanical or otherwise clues to look for?

I'm about to start looking properly again this weekend.

• Chilli Red and Jeff-W like this

#7 Jeff-W

Jeff-W

Club Chairman

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:47 pm

Steve, this is a subjective question because we don't know what you would accept. Ask what post-factory mods the car has got. Some are cosmetic, and some are done solely for tracking the car. People with more knowledge than myself will be able to advise you on this forum about this. If it is a private sale, look the seller in the eye and ask them if its been tracked. This is not a yes/no answer - it just forms part of the picture.

All 370s will have front bumper rash - make sure its a genuine 370 paint colour and then it can be rectified after purchase at reasonable cost.

Don't feel embarrassed about scrutinising the Service History - call the garage(s) and ask questions. If it is all proper and correct, they will be up front with you.

Make sure the condition of the driver's seat matches the mileage. If in further doubt, pay for an independent agency to give the car a thorough inspection - it is worth the money.

Hope this helps.

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

#8 Paul_S

Paul_S

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 35,383 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:11 pm

Back in the day, you could tell if the 350Z had been driven hard because the Brembo decals on the calipers started to go black because of the heat.  I don't think that's true of the Akebonos on the 370Z though.

I guess you could look at the discs and see how worn they are (how much lip there is around them) - then weigh that up against the miles it's done.

As said, the front is prone to chips so that doesn't necessarily mean previous owners drove like bats out of hell.  It does mean they might have driven too close to the car in front if the damage was particularly bad - or they just drove bad roads a lot.

TBH, the cars are pretty bomb proof and unless it's been ragged when cold then I expect you'll be fine.  Judge it on the person you're buying it off :)

#9 blobbish

blobbish

Club IT

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:52 pm

Why so worried if it's been tracked it's a sports car after all. I mean I love my zed but I track it regularly.

So long as it's been looked after I don't necessarily think it's an issue. For instance would anyone worry about buying johns gtr? Yet it's tracked a lot. However it's also looked after.

All you can really do is drive it and make sure it sounds and feels good.

To be fair if be more worried about a boy racer driving the a*** off of it round the streets when it's cold.

But at the end of the day it's your decision.
  • Paul_S likes this

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#10 Paul_S

Paul_S

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 35,383 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:50 pm

A well point well made!