LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

Reported by Speed (Breaking News)

032815_motor_nissan.vadapt.955.high.0.pn

Jann Mardenborough has reportedly crashed his Nissan GT-R into a spectator area at this weekend’s VLN endurance race.

Mardenborough was able to escape uninjured from the car, however, the race was red flagged and will not be restarted as emergency vehicles took to the track.

Updates to follow...

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

sml_gallery_123_431_228285.png

#2 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

Early unconfirmed reports on some German websites suggest one spectator might have perished and 4 might be seriously injured.

thoughts are with the spectators, their friends and families and the team and driver.  No one ever wants this sort of thing to happen.  Lets hope the early reports and wrong!

(I do have an additional picture - but I will not post it)

Updates to follow...

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#3 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

Race has been cancelled.

z1404654971.jpg

After a serious accident with personal injury the first round of the VLN season 2015 was cancelled : Nissan lands at the airfield behind the security fence

The first VLN race of the season 2015 was cancelled after a serious accident

(Motorsport Total.com) - 61. The opening race of the VLN-2015, was broken off after a serious accident after six laps.

The Nissan GTR Piloted by Jann Mardenborough landed in the infield section at the Nürburgring-Nordschleife circuit, landing on its roof.

While the Briton was able to emerge from the damaged GTR without assistance, there were injuries among the spectators as the VLN organizers confirmed. Information about the number and severity of injuries is not available currently still. The reports of a death are still not confirmed.

The race was then cancelled with the red flag to enable the rescue the location of the incident has made the recovery difficult.  Rescue workers and the police are on the ground, a restart of the race will not take place.

For those who can speak German:

http://www.vln.de/de...bgebrochen.html

#4 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

Tragically it looks like early reports might be true:

Just published on Motorsport.com

Spectator killed in Nurburgring VLN accident

vln-round-1-2015-23-nissan-gt-academy-te

Organizers of the VLN series at the Nurburgring have confirmed the tragic news that a spectator has been killed in a crash at the Nordschleife today.

The opening race of the 2015 VLN season at the Nurburgring was halted following a heavy crash involving the Nissan GT-R of British driver Jann Mardenborough.

Mardenborough's car went off track at Flugplatz and jumped over the barriers, landing upside down in the spectator area.

One spectator died at the scene, despite the efforts of rescuers and medics. Several others were injured, and taken to hospital. 

Mardenborough was pictured standing out of the car, and is believed to have escaped injury.

The race was stopped and will not be restarted. 

#5 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,815 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:02 PM

It is a huge tragedy for everyone there, the family and relatives of the person who died and those injured. I also feel for Jann, who I know from several conversations is such a nice guy.

Now made the BBC news at: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rsport/32100886

• LESmo and Paul_S like this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#6 Stuart_J

Stuart_J

Zedling

• User (10)
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:12 PM

Reports on another forum that another person has lost their life, so sad for all concerned, really feel for the driver as it looks from some reports like a freak accident that the driver can't have expected .

Sad day for racing when spectators are injured or lose their lives. RIP
  • LESmo likes this
Speed is an addiction for which thankfully there is no cure

#7 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

Looks like an aero design problem similar to the lemans cars that took off over the crest of a hill?
Flugplatz is notorious for cars jumping the track.
Very sad day indeed
2016 GT-R Recaro Black. A younger model is not necessarily better...

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...
Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

#8 Stuart_J

Stuart_J

Zedling

• User (10)
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

Not nice, driver just a passenger

#9 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,305 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:32 AM

Terrible tragedy for all concerned. God willing, all those injured will make a full and speedy recovery.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#10 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,815 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

Update from Nissan NISMO:

UPDATE  

After the terrible events during yesterday’s VLN race, Nissan is pleased to have received information that the two injured spectators have been released from hospital.  Jann Mardenborough has completed a series of medical tests and has also been released from hospital. Naturally he is very distressed about the outcome of yesterday’s accident.

The vehicle has been impounded by the German authorities and Nissan has offered full cooperation in their investigation.

Everyone at Nissan would like to again extend their deepest sympathies to the family of the deceased and to the spectators who were hurt.  Nissan would also like to thank everyone for the support they have shown for the fans involved, the team and for Jann Mardenborough.

29 March 2015

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress

#11 Stuart_J

Stuart_J

Zedling

• User (10)
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:09 PM

Posted on another forum

http://sportscar365.....-nordschleife/

DMSB Bans GT3 Cars From Nürburgring Nordschleife

German motor sport association DMSB has announced that it will place a temporary ban on GT3 cars at the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
The decision follows yesterdays crash during the opening round of the VLN endurance series, which claimed the life of one spectator.

Pending the investigation into the accident cars competing in the SP7, SP8, SP9, SP10, SP-PRO and SP-X classes will not be allowed in DMSB-approved events, including the Nürburgring 24 Hours.

We can not and will not go back to business as usual after an accident of this kind, said DMSB General Secretary Christian Schacht.

We are all still deeply shocked and our thoughts are with the family of the victim. The security of the participants and especially the spectators must be a top priority.

#12 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,514 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

Mentioned it on the other post but very sad for all involved particularly the family of the fan that was killed. I also feel for Jann, it can't be something easy to live with even though looking at the video, it is clearly not his fault. 

• Chilli Red likes this
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Optional extras: Dynamic pack, black styling pack, Audi sound system, cruise control, reversing camera, advanced key, electric folding body coloured mirrors, electrically adjustable lumbar support and non smokers pack.
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition (manual) - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers, Black 'Z' badges, removal of GT Edition stripes - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#13 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

Similar crash at Flugplatz in 1980 fortunately no one was hurt then.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=4F7mVEotx9c

#14 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,815 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

I sent a note to RJN today on behalf of nissansportz.....

"Just a very short note to say the nissansportz members were shocked and saddened by the tragic event on Saturday. Our sympathies go out to the family of the dead spectator and those injured, and also to yourself, Bob and all the team at RJN. We all know motorsport can be dangerous but that does not make events less sad.

Could you also please pass on our best thoughts and wishes to Jann. I’ve met him a few times, cannot speak to highly of the impression he has given me, and we all wish him well under these difficult circumstances.

Very best regards,"

and I received the following reply....

"Thank you for these kind words, it was a terrible accident and Jann although now physically better will need time to recover, as we all will.

I will pass on to Jann.

Best regards,"

• LESmo, Chilli Red, Neutreus and 1 other like this

#15 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

Thanks John, nice touch!

#16 Chilli Red

Chilli Red

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 22,692 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

Yes well put thoughts from us.

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d  premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it

Check out our - 2014 & 2015 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

#17 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

Well put John

#18 Stuart_J

Stuart_J

Zedling

• User (10)
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for doing that !!

#19 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,514 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

Very well said John and thank you.

2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Optional extras: Dynamic pack, black styling pack, Audi sound system, cruise control, reversing camera, advanced key, electric folding body coloured mirrors, electrically adjustable lumbar support and non smokers pack.
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition (manual) - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers, Black 'Z' badges, removal of GT Edition stripes - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#20 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:42 PM

GT3 ban now lifted - speed limits and power reductions to be enforced:

http://m.autosport.c...t.php/id/118388
  • LESmo and Neutreus like this