Posted Image

Photo

First Post | Problem with my Z's transmission?

questions 350z engine transmission

Best Answer Greg Warnes , 01 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Best way to confirm, is to drive along in 5th gear at forty ish Mph, then floor it.

If the clutch is slipping the revs will shoot up with no appreciable increase in speed.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FirstArchetype

FirstArchetype

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hey there! I'm really new to the community, but I've had some questions of mine answered here in the past. I was wondering if you guys could provide some feedback on an issue I have been experiencing for a couple days now.

First, my car: '04 Blue 350z, 81,000 mi.

I'm having this issue that recently started where:

1) At any speed my CC works it will intermittently disengage, and

2) When accelerating from any gear, it's almost as if I will start to plateau in my rpms before continuing to accelerate (Applying steady pressure to pedal, the needle will increase, pause, then increase again), and

3) I've noticed more difficulty off the line from 1st gear, which feels more sluggish and bumpy than usual, despite feeling like I'm applying the same pressure as usual.

Thank you for any and all help! Have a great day guys!

• inetryconydot likes this

#2 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,329 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

Sounds like your clutch is slipping, assuming you have a manual gearbox?

If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

#3 FirstArchetype

FirstArchetype

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

Yep! 6-speed. Any recommendations for checking it out / recommendations on avoiding future issues like this. I'm making an educated guess that a slipping clutch is not an easy fix?

#4 FirstArchetype

FirstArchetype

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:37 PM

I bought it from a guy who took care of it but drove it hard. He mentioned he liked to spin tires when he had more time to drive it. Is that related? I mean, we've probably all done that, but I mean in excess

#5 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,329 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:54 PM   Best Answer

Best way to confirm, is to drive along in 5th gear at forty ish Mph, then floor it.

If the clutch is slipping the revs will shoot up with no appreciable increase in speed.

• FirstArchetype likes this

If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

#6 FirstArchetype

FirstArchetype

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

Sounds good. If it does that, I think I'm going to get it replaced soon. I love this car, and I wanna take care of it.

I've provided a link to the few photos of it I've taken in the time I've owned it. I want to add them to my profile eventually

http://imgur.com/a/lk24Q

• Chilli Red likes this

#7 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,452 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

:welcome: I love Azure Zeds.  Looks a great car.  Hope you can get the clutch issues sorted. 

What plans do you have.  I think the headlights will clean up - but will need some elbow grease...  :lol:  

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

sml_gallery_123_431_228285.png

#8 FirstArchetype

FirstArchetype

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

Thanks!

I plan to buy new headlights. I had some in mind already that had an intriguing, but seeing them in action didn't please me, as I felt they were not bright enough for night driving.

I want to put a spoiler on the back in a matching color, but don't want to disrupt the contour of the car, which is what I fell in love with to begin with. I'm thinking of getting the Evo Blittz.

I want to then get a LSD for a more even power distribution, as I'm an avid driver and have been involved with the SCCA. I just got my dream car (this Z) and need to learn how to repair it myself over time.

I need to get it repainted THIS exact color, to remove some minimal paint chipping to the hood from small rocks. If I can't get the same color, I'm gonna do something I like, and then Vinyl wrap it in THIS Gunmetal Blue.

I have White undercarriage lighting provided by Led-Glow, which is legal and provides this amazing accent to the car. I talked to a shop and had them professionally installed on a lift for about $100. They are modular, wireless to turn on and off, and unnoticeable without them on, which I believe is nice (since people who don't like it don't see it, and having them done on a lift makes it easy to get it on a lift again). Would you like some photos of it with the lights?

#9 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,452 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:14 PM

Love to see more pictures.

Which part of the States are you in mate?  The UK car has a Diff as standard as well as a the rear wing - Has the car got Xenon's?  I can't remember if the US car has them.  Certainly the Diff makes a real difference to the car.

I love that matt blue colour.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#10 FirstArchetype

FirstArchetype

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

Sorry for not responding yesterday. I'm getting it fixed starting tomorrow morning, so I was taking care of all the setup.

I'm in NC, US. I don't believe the car has xenons, though I'm debating getting some. I've seen some aftermarket lights that literally burnt a hole through the front for being too bright and generating too much heat. You guys have any recommendations?

And thanks for your responses, I know I made the right deciding to join this community :)

#11 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,452 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

Hi Mate,

North Carolina, great.  Spend most Holidays these days in Myrtle Beach - South Carolina.  Nice part of the States.  Tended to fly into RDU, 

UK Cars all have Single Xenon (early 350s) and Bi Xenon - 2006 onwards 350z and 370z.  I seem to recall from BMW's its not a cheap upgrade.  There are some good Bulb choices though.  Hopefully someone will come along with some advice.

Great you found us,

Lesmo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: questions, 350z, engine, transmission