#1 NuffZed

NuffZed

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

I'd be interested to know your views on whether the position of the front number plate spoils the look of the new shape MY16 Nismo?

What do you think about putting a stick-on number plate on the front, either below or even over the Nissan logo? 

Would it look naff or give it a more sporty/unspoilt look?

#2 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,197 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

I think you will be left with holes which need to be filled (Someone may be able to confirm).  Some States in the US don't have front plates and I have to say all Zeds look better without front plates.  Loads of V1 Nismo's in the States avoid them, and the usual post I get on US forums about my car is lose the front plate "Bro" - to which I advise them like New York State I can't "Bro"

The main thing is whatever solution it doesn't impede air flow, either to the radiator(s) or brakes.  I guess what you are thinking is what used to happen on earlier MX5's?  Putting a stick on plate on the actual Hood/Bonnet just before the plastic bumper?  Not sure how good that will look and not sure with regards to legality?

Personally, I would leave it.  But that is just me

• Chubbs and NuffZed like this

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System.

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#3 NuffZed

NuffZed

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

Thanks LESmo - noted. In the meantime I did some research and found this:

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 Fixing of front registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date

(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3).

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—

(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

(b ) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4).

(4) The diagonal length of the relevant area is—

(a)in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

(b ) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.

(5) In the case of a motor cycle or a motor tricycle which does not have a body of a type which is characteristic of the body of a four-wheeled vehicle—

(a) a registration plate must not be fixed on the front of a vehicle if it was first registered on or after 1st September 2001,

(b ) a plate need not be fixed on the front of the vehicle if it was first registered before 1st September 2001.

Further requirements for registration plates

(1) No reflex-reflecting material may be applied to any part of a registration plate and the plate must not be treated in such a way that the characters of the registration mark become, or are caused to act as, retroreflective characters.

(2) A registration plate must not be treated in any other way which renders the characters of the registration mark less easily distinguishable to the eye or which would prevent or impair the making of a true photographic image of the plate through the medium of camera and film or any other device.

(3) A registration plate must not be fixed to a vehicle—

(a) by means of a screw, bolt or other fixing device of any type or colour,

(b ) by the placing of a screw, bolt or other fixing device in any position, or

(c ) in any other manner, which has the effect of changing the appearance or legibility of any of the characters of the registration mark, which renders the characters of the registration mark less easily distinguishable to the eye or which prevents or impairs the making of a true photographic image of the plate through the medium of camera and film or any other device. 

Given it clearly is "reasonably practicable" to mount the plate vertically - it does indeed appear that on a new vehicle, you can't use a stick-on number plate!!

Edited by NuffZed, 07 October 2015 - 08:59 AM.

• LESmo and Chilli Red like this

#4 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,713 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

I'm certain the old stick-on style plates were banned some time ago (or made illegal). However I've often wondered about moving the solid one to the side, as per Alfa Romeos. Would that work?

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#5 Shenley

Shenley

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:40 AM

Also on the 'MY16' nismo, the front plate should only be screwed onto the black backing plate.
......because you have to remove the plate, then the holder before you can attach the towing eye.
Of course you need a screwdriver for this, but you don't get one! You do in the States, where you don't have a front plate??

Awesome.

Edited by Shenley, 07 October 2015 - 09:41 AM.

• Chubbs, oxfordlad and NuffZed like this

Sent from my Commodore 64

Just growing old disgracefully......

#6 NuffZed

NuffZed

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:48 PM

I'm certain the old stick-on style plates were banned some time ago (or made illegal). However I've often wondered about moving the solid one to the side, as per Alfa Romeos. Would that work?

As far as I can ascertain there's nothing in the Regulations to say the plate can't be mounted to the side, the key is that it is fixed in the vertical position provided it's reasonably practicable to do so.

In reality, I cannot think of any new cars where it would not be practicable to fix the number plate vertically. 

#7 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,197 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

This is how they look in the US in states they have to have front plates - by no means that's all of them

STILLEN%20LICENSE%20PLATE%20RELOCATOR%20

yma5aqug.jpg

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System.

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#8 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,197 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:58 PM

Have to say given the location of some of the cooling.  Some of the chosen locations for plates might not have been the best....

#9 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,090 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

I don't have a problem with plates being offset but the I'm not a fan of the US ones Les posted up.  They're a bit 'nasty' :lol:

I guess a square UK plate might work a little better but for me the bumper shape probably doesn't allow it to be mounted on the bumper itself, and the grille isn't very wide so anything other than dead center looks odd.

• Chubbs likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#10 C8NNP

C8NNP

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:08 PM

I have a Mk1 Nismo and have recently put a much shorter (5 digit) plate on mine. I also removed the black backing plate. I think it looks a lot better, but personal taste and all that so others may disagree.

Attached is a pic below when I was messing with it - it's actually a bit lower than this positioning now and looks better for it. It's screwed in (through the letters).image.jpeg

Edited by C8NNP, 07 October 2015 - 08:09 PM.

• LESmo likes this

#11 C8NNP

C8NNP

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:23 PM

Oh, and here's my MK1 bumper minus the plate (there are holes, as suggested by LESmo)

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• LESmo and Paul_S like this

#12 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,090 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:35 PM

I have a Mk1 Nismo and have recently put a much shorter (5 digit) plate on mine. I also removed the black backing plate. I think it looks a lot better, but personal taste and all that so others may disagree.

Attached is a pic below when I was messing with it - it's actually a bit lower than this positioning now and looks better for it. It's screwed in (through the letters).attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I like that :thumbs:

If it were mine, I would be tempted to fit a black outline to the plate (if that's possible) just to separate the white plate from the white car.  But maybe it's just the angle of the photo that makes me think that.

• C8NNP likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#13 C8NNP

C8NNP

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:48 PM

Good shout - you can get shorter length number plate holders to give it that outline/ seperation. Actually I think they are US style ones.

I'll take some more pictures this weekend as I think it's positioned better now.
  • Paul_S likes this

#14 scottyd423

scottyd423

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:25 AM

Resurrecting this old post!

Do you have any issues with the number plate flexing at higher speeds? Is it just a standard plastic plate you are using?

Have you got any pictures of it now that it's a bit lower?

I'm thinking about doing the same on my 2014 nismo but can see some mild scratching behind the plinth.

Was considering a sticker plate but not sure on the legality of them.
  • LESmo likes this

#15 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,087 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:30 AM

Brace yourselves - the dawn of Big Brother digital license plates is upon us. Upside - potentially no more ugly numberplates. Downside - they'll know where you are and what speed you're doing...

https://www.motor1.c...ing-california/

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#16 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,713 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:47 AM

All of my GT-Rs have had stuck on front plates using numberplate sticking adhesive pads (lots of them). They have survived 185mph on the straight at the Nordschleife. The pads were bought at a motor accessory shop. I did try double-sided adhesive tape once
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress

#17 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,713 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

.. but it wasnt anything luke as good as those specifically for number plates.

#18 Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:20 PM

Here is mine stuck on with double sided tape

AFED5287-976_C-4743-9641-729_BB9_CE2066.
  • Paul_S likes this

#19 Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

Behind the number plate plinth

AD793_D88-275_D-453_D-99_E3-71755_ED9982

#20 scottyd423

scottyd423

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

Behind the number plate plinth

AD793_D88-275_D-453_D-99_E3-71755_ED9982

Do you know the distance between the screw holes?

I'm thinking about getting these for my nismo V1: https://m.ebay.co.uk...004?_mwBanner=1

Not sure how the short one will look in the large recess at the back though.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk