#1 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 582 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

Hi

My wife and I test drove a Qashqai and an X-trail on Sunday...

regardless of what we thought about the cars, we were both completely put off by the number of times the salesman mentioned the above.

So, is it a serious problem? The salesman implied that for town driving, it would be (my wife does about 25 miles a day, mainly town driving with a 5 minute run to the next town), which would mean not buying either (we both felt that the 1.2 petrol Qashqai was underpowered).

A quick google suggests that if the warning light comes on, you need to immediately go for a 10 minute, >40mph drive to clear it, or risk >£1k of damage...

Does anyone have any experience of the issue?
Black Pearl 2010 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'<br>EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads

#2 JohnFK

JohnFK

nissansportz Chairman

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,050 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

I don't have experience of this but have experience of discussing it! First thing to note is that this applies to all modern diesel engine cars whatever the manufacturer. Some will tell you about it and some wont! Its all to do with engineering the diesel engines down to get the reduced emissions that are currently agreed and put into legislation by governments.

As the man says you just need to give it some full welly on a regular basis to keep the filter clear. I'm sure others with the actual engine experience will be along soon.

(btw: I think its called a particulate filter - could be wrong though....)

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#3 JohnFK

JohnFK

nissansportz Chairman

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,050 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

p.s. I think clearing it is about engine revs rather than road speed.

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress

#4 Wayne370Z

Wayne370Z

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

The wife`s had her diesel Mokka for over 3 years now and never had any problem with it. Never had the DPF light come on at all so it`s always managed to do it itself, although, before we moved she did have a 20 mile each way motorway/dual carriageway drive to work. But even since we moved 8 months ago it`s never come on and now it`s just driven around town with just the occasional longer drive out.

The Vauxhall dealer did make us very aware of the issues with it, infact we had to sign a declaration that it had been explained because of the damage that could be caused and on the Mokka forum some people did report that they were having to keep taking theirs out on a run to do the regen as their normal use/journeys didn`t allow it to get done.  

If the light does come on to show it needs a regen because it hasn`t been able to do it automatically, though, it`s just a case of giving it a bit of a run with the revs kept above 2000rpm. whilst it completes it

Edited by Wayne370Z, 24 January 2017 - 01:41 PM.

Wayne.         2013 370Z GT Edition Storm White

#5 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 582 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Wayne, very useful info
Black Pearl 2010 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'<br>EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads

#6 Chilli Red

Chilli Red

Committee Secretary

• Committee Member (10)
  • 22,526 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Tell her to buy an Infiniti - sorted :D

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d  premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it

Check out our - 2014 & 2015 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

#7 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 582 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

tried that, believe me!

Tell her to buy an Infiniti - sorted :D

• Chilli Red likes this

#8 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,301 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

Yes John - I've heard about this too. Who'd buy a diesel anyway?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

How to post pics on this forum CLICK HERE

Prospective buyer's/new owners' guide to second-hand 350Zs (includes MY06 & MY07 improvements) - CLICK HERE

All assistance I attempt to give comes with the Murray Walker health warning, "Unless I'm very much mistaken ...I AM very much mistaken!"

'53 plate Gunmetal Grey 350z >>> '56 plate Ebisu Black 350z >>> '10 plate Universal Silver 370z >>> '14 plate Mineral Grey BMW M235i >>> '65 plate Gunmetal 370z

Tokyo Motor Show, October 2017???

#9 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 582 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

I agree, and so does she, but we both like the new shaped X-trail, but you cannot have a petrol auto one

Yes John - I've heard about this too. Who'd buy a diesel anyway?

#10 Alex_C

Alex_C

Zedling

• Moderators
  • 2,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Katy's got a 2015 Qashqai 1.5diesel and we've never had this problem. She does do lots of miles though and a fair bit of M'way driving so I'm not surprised by this. Just ticked over 18 000miles and first service done.

Our work fleet is another story though...all VW and Skoda (40 odd vehicles) and we've had no end of warning lights on. All do very short journeys and all at low revs. A good blast up the m'way at steady revs does clear the light and then its no problem. I've had no further problems with any of the vehicles once the light has extinguished. So I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree about the 1.2petrol feeling underpowered though. We've been really pleased with the 1.5diesel. Fair enough, its no rocket ship but it cruises really well and is more than happy round town as well. Best car Katy's owned by a long way!

#11 JohnFK

JohnFK

nissansportz Chairman

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,050 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

Alex - Is it an Auto?

#12 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 8,884 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

I never had an issue with the DPF on the BMW and I did short runs,  it auto generated on the BMW when it was ready, you felt a slight difference - but there were no lights which came up.  If you are doing reasoable runs it won't cause an issue.  If its doing 10 Miles then I would check the real MPG.  In the winter on the BMW I would only get early 30's - Summer into 40's

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#13 Alex_C

Alex_C

Zedling

• Moderators
  • 2,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

Alex - Is it an Auto?

No, we heard too many bad reviews so stuck with manual in the end
  • Chilli Red likes this

#14 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 582 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

Thanks Alex, that pretty much confirms our thoughts.

Nissan auto - risky
Diesel - dirty and risky
Therefore Nissan diesel auto is a no go

Now exploring options for a 2-3 year old petrol auto, of similar size to an X-trail, top spec, but not silly money

Toyota RAV4
Jeep Cherokee

any others?

#15 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 8,884 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

Honda HR-V?

Like this one...

http://www.johnbanks...1706392773.aspx  or this one

http://www.johnbanks...1707396116.aspx

• Chilli Red likes this

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#16 Paul_S

Paul_S

Committee Member and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,098 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

V8 Range Rover with a LPG conversion :whistle:

Or you could get a diesel for the short term and gamble that the government brings in a scrappage scheme as has been rumored.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

Posted Image

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#17 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 582 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!