• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,849 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

So I get a text saying my car may have been stolen but fortunately it was down to me driving the car without the tracker remote.
Only problem is it's taken them 10.5 hours to notify me that the car may be stolen.
I asked them to ring me back to find out how this has happened and they have not had the courtesy...
At £215 / year I very much doubt I will be renewing.
  • Chubbs and zmeister like this
2016 GT-R Recaro Black. A younger model is not necessarily better...

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...
Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

#2 Chilli Red

Chilli Red

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 22,648 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

That's rubbish! A full refund no less would be the apology

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d  premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it

Check out our - 2014 & 2015 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

#3 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 9,878 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:16 PM

That's not good.  Think how far a GTR would get in 10 hours....  :scare:

I have seen these cheap SIM based trackers you can install yourself with its own magnets and track online.  Never sure if they are worth it or not.  How much does the Tracker save on insurance or is it compulsory on the GT-R? 

• Chubbs likes this
Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#4 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,849 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:19 PM

I Don't think it makes any difference to my insurance policy but some do insist on it
I'm lucky that the dealer paid for the install which was £942...

#5 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

More and more they've always seemed to me to be great in theory, but somewhat less so in reality as you are depending on 24/7 vigilance from the people behind it.

I remember reading in Evo magazine a year or two ago that Nick Trott's 996 GT2 tracker beeped its people and they phoned him when the battery was running down and the tracker ws losing power, so he had the car put on a trickle charger.  Now as it was sat idle for a while I'm surprised it wasn't already on one, but more I suppose it didn't answer the question as to how long the tracker had been grumbling before they got in contact with him . . . ?

• Gasitup likes this
2007 350Z - Who needs Blue Planet when you've got a Blue Zed?
2004 Yaris 1.3 - Or a "Blue" Yaris? That still delights after four short years.

#6 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 15,816 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

I'm with Lezmo on this one - google around the place and see if you can get something that works for £25.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#7 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,665 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

That's all a bit rubbish Paul.  What does it say in their contract?  Might there be an option to get some cash back?

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#8 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,545 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

The problems I had with my Tracker (equipment and tracking company) on the MY09 were well documented here.

I didn't bother to buy one on the MY11, MY14 or my current MY15. Some insurance companies ask if I've got one, but most don't, and I'm not convinced it has ever reduced a premium (much like many other things insurance companies ask about (such as "where is the vehicle kept" but if you tell them its changed to somewhere more secure the premium doesn't then come down) - unless of course it can be used as an excuse to increase the premium... and, of course, the Admin charge for telling them about changes).

• Gasitup likes this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#9 oxfordlad

oxfordlad

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

I had the same issues with my Cobra one, didn't bother to renew after the first year. Also one thing I found out was the tracker was non transferable so if you sold your car the tracker would have to be cancelled.

#10 zmeister

zmeister

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

All this fills me with doom and gloom.

I thought my pride and joy was well looked after by the high end cobra tracker that I had fitted.

10 1/2 hours

the car would be stripped in that time or in a lead lined container on its way to some tip in Russia !!

I would like to know what excuse they give

#11 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

If it was me/mine, I'd quite like to test it from time to time.  You'd need to have a look at your terms and conditions - and the experiences of other owners - to see what effect false alarms have both on your current year's cover and also on future years.  Then, if you were ok, I'd do something that would trigger it, and see how long it took them to do anything.  Then play daft when they phone you.

That said, I'm sure others must have done the same in the past, and it might be worthwhile doing a bit of research to see . . .

2007 350Z - Who needs Blue Planet when you've got a Blue Zed?
2004 Yaris 1.3 - Or a "Blue" Yaris? That still delights after four short years.

#12 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,545 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

Found out today that some time in the last year Nissan's tracker option was moved from Cobra to Vodafone. Do you know which one you have Paul?

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress

#13 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,849 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

Yes, the Cobra tracker is operated by Vodafone now.

The Nissan sales brochure is quite clear:
You will get a notification if the car does not have a tracker remote within 100m of the car.
In this case the car was in the garage and nothing seems to have happened during the 20 minute drive to work.
The terms and conditions do talk about the problem of loss of GPS signal but I would have thought it reasonable that it would be picked up within 30 seconds of driving off.
What actually happened was a notification of theft when starting the car to drive home 10.5 hours later.
Apparently they can track the cars position but we're unable to give me any info at all.

Not impressed...

#14 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,665 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

I think you need to do some testing mate.

Don't forget that text messaging (I assume that's how you're alerted?) is not a guaranteed service.  There are times I've received messages more than 24hrs late.  It might just be that the mobile service was playing up at the time.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#15 Tinyflier

Tinyflier

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:46 AM

I have received 2 alerts (initially txt then was called) on mine in the past year and both were within minutes of the car being moved (at detailers and service) when the fob was not inside the car.

Nevertheless am having the Tracker harness removed when car is at ACSpeedtech and replacing it with something that doesn't have a hefty annual subscription charge.

David

• Paul_S and Chilli Red like this

#16 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,545 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:20 AM

The thing that put me off the system installed on mine (Nissan / Cobra) was that if the unit in the car fails no-one know until the tracking company does its regular "where is it" test which was supposed to be monthly.

My unit did fail and due to a "paperwork mixup" at Cobra, wasn't getting its regular test so it was around three months since the last success before my driving without the fob and not being notified caused me to ask the question.

That led me to thinking what if the power to the unit was cut? Is that the same as the unit failing? In that case the car could go anywhere for up to a month before anyone notices.

I think technology advances have overtaken these type of systems and there must be better solutions out there. Meanwhile, if the insurance companies aren't that interested you have to weigh up whether you want it back after its been stolen or whether you just want a replacement.....

#17 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 15,816 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

I have received 2 alerts (initially txt then was called) on mine in the past year and both were within minutes of the car being moved (at detailers and service) when the fob was not inside the car.

Nevertheless am having the Tracker harness removed when car is at ACSpeedtech and replacing it with something that doesn't have a hefty annual subscription charge.

David

Do you have any idea what your replacement system will be?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#18 Tinyflier

Tinyflier

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:27 PM

Do you have any idea what your replacement system will be?

Not a Scooby Clue yet!

I've been looking at the cheap and cheerful products available on Amazon/Ebay I guess just to give me a basic indication that something untoward has happened. But there are some traders on GTRUK forum who provide tracker products so I need to investigate those too.

David

• Chubbs likes this

#19 yank44

yank44

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:06 AM

I have seen these cheap SIM based trackers you can install yourself with its own magnets and track online.  Never sure if they are worth it or not.  How much does the Tracker save on insurance or is it compulsory on the GT-R? 

I've got one. Works perfectly.

#20 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 15,816 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:31 AM

I've got one. Works perfectly.

Sounds interesting. What make is it?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg