28 replies to this topic

#1 JohnFK

JohnFK

nissansportz Chairman

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,172 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

After 8 years of ownership, this is a subject I've explored a few times but have yet to find an alternative that really appeals.....

However, being nudged into getting the latest Evo mag (thanks guys) my eye was caught by something.....

I've always hankered after more cylinders and although I think the dream of a V12 has probably disappeared there are still some V8 opportunities to be explored. So at the New York motor show Dodge turned up with the Challenger SRT Demon: 6.2 litre Supercharged V8 with 828bhp and a claimed 0-60 of 2.3secs.

I suppose I might have to move again to find enough straight roads (Milton Keynes?) but it might be worth it for the noise alone!

• dj370zNismo, LESmo and Paul_S like this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#2 Chilli Red

Chilli Red

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 22,641 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

. at the New York motor show Dodge turned up with the Challenger SRT Demon: 6.2 litre Supercharged V8 with 828bhp and a claimed 0-60 of 2.3secs

I bagsie first passenger ride..... after family obvs ;) . I can feel the noise now :teeth:
  • LESmo likes this

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d  premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it

Check out our - 2014 & 2015 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

#3 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

John I was reading about this the other day and the stats for the speed are amazing claiming to be the fastest car 0- 100 but Although huge improvements have been made in some American cars I am sure you might miss the road holding of your current machine amongst other things.on the flip side on the way to duxford the other day I passed 5 mustang in a convoy and American cars on our roads are a nice sight to see

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  • LESmo likes this

#4 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

I think you ought to keep your powder dry for the new Toyota Supra.  From what I've read the first version sounds like it might be a little less analogue (I've chosen the emphasis very carefully there) and have a bit more oomph than the later variant(s).

And if you do, please can I jump the queue and bag the first passenger ride if I haven't had a demo before then. :teeth:

• LESmo and Chilli Red like this
2004 Yaris 1.3 - A strong engine, good steering and great brakes, but its foolish owner fancies a change.
2007 350Z - Who needs Blue Planet when you've got a Blue Zed?

#5 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 9,234 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

I suppose there comes a point where you can't really better something.  I would personally wait until the next GT-R comes out, as history shows its always a step change.  But otherwsie, I would perhaps move to something differemt.  I would have a Corvette in a hearts beat - they look stunning.  Slower than the Hellcat and much slower than a GT-R a almost pedestrian 3.7 seconds.

Supra I love - but nothing is suggesting its anything more than a hot BMW.  It will be quick and I think it looks stunning, but I cannot see it will be GT-R quick.  There is supposed to be a new RX7 coming out with a new Rotary engine - that may be interesting but miles slower than a GT-R.

Also reliability.  The GT-R is reliable.  I hear plenty of stories of other "premium" brands which are far from that.  How about the new TVR - if it ever happens....  :whistle:

• dj370zNismo, Alex_C and milanored like this

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#6 Alex_C

Alex_C

Zedling

• Moderators
  • 2,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

Corvette Z06...cos from what I've read they handle as well!

• LESmo likes this

#7 JohnFK

JohnFK

nissansportz Chairman

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,172 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

... thanks guys. But I've always had a hankering after a big-engined saloon and poor handling might just make it more fun! (Yep, I've watched too much NCIS...)

• Alex_C and milanored like this
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress

#8 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 9,234 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

God I hope it has good Traction Control....  :lol:

• Chilli Red likes this

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#9 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

I must admit I am finding my car a bit slow and lacks torque especially below 4000RPM
Have been looking into SL63 or the V12 SL65 with 730lbft of torque through the rears
I was behind one of those a few months ago and he pulled away from me with ease and without caning it
Obviously not really a track car but I'm sure it handles
2016 GT-R Recaro Black. A younger model is not necessarily better...

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...
Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

#10 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

I suppose the question is do you want performance or do you want enjoyment?  As most of the larger new cars of the last few years with a significant amount of oomph have been rather aloof at road speeds.

Again, that's why I'm keeping my powder dry for the new Supra.  Although that is in the hope that to drive it will be somewhere between the new 991.2 GT3 and the Ferrari F12; have a medium to large GT car feel to it; good, but not outstanding, performance in modern terminology will do; and, a price tag not much more than the GT3.  Although I just hope it isn't the numb feeling and hideously expensive rarity that the latest NSX and the new Ford GT were/are.

2004 Yaris 1.3 - A strong engine, good steering and great brakes, but its foolish owner fancies a change.

#11 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 604 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

shouldn't the title of this thread read "How do you follow 4 GT-Rs"?

• Chilli Red and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this
Black Pearl 2010 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'<br>EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads

#12 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

I think the appropriate answer here ought to be: "I don't know, but a Red Arrow might be a good idea".

• dj370zNismo and Chilli Red like this

#13 theshrekster

theshrekster

Zedling

• Moderators
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:20 PM

Completely out of the box, the answer has to be.........at an ever increasing distance!

• Chubbs and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this
My REAL name is Simon

2005 Sunset Orange Coupe, full NISMO body kit, NISMO exhaust, 19" NISMO wheels with gloss black powdercoat finish, high flow cats, plenum spacer, K&N Cold Air Induction Intake, TomTom hardwired power supply, 350Z mats, StuartB tonneau cover (version 2 with embossed Z), Stubby aerial, Z logo valve caps, sat in my garage awaiting a nice sunny weekend!
Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 as daily driver and dog transporter  :)
Range Rover Vogue as another weekend toy WRITTEN OFF
Honda Accord 2.2 CTDI Exec for the daily M3/M25/M1 grind to work) with a CD Auto changer that doesn't skip :) SOLD
Nissan 350Z 2004 GunMetal , GT Pack, Alezan Leather, New 18" Rays, Parking Sensors, Vent Trims, Z Tax Disc Holder, phone kit. NOW SOLD
Jaguar X-Type TDI NOW SOLD
Ford Focus TDI Ghia NOW SOLD
Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC NOW SOLD
Honda VTR SP2 for the Summer NOW SOLD

He who dies with the most toys, WINS!!!

#14 Paul_S

Paul_S

Committee Member and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

For me it would definitely be more cylinders.  I doubt the handling will ever be as good, but the sound could be epic.

More cylinders doesn't always mean a good sound though.  I'm not a fan of the M3 V8.  It just doesn't sound like a V8 should.  Almost nasty.

The Americans really know how to make a V8 but how about a V8 supercharged Jag saloon...? :)

• dj370zNismo likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

Posted Image

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#15 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

I don't know, I quite fancy an E9- V8 M3.  I think it's their high-revving V8 that gives them that thinner, sharper sound.  It would be fun finding the right exhaust combination that gave it a decent sound.

#16 Paul_S

Paul_S

Committee Member and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:36 PM

Perhaps, but it's not the sound I hear in my head when someone says 'V8'.  I prefer a burbler to a screamer!

• dj370zNismo likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

Posted Image

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#17 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

True, the lazy burbling sound is good. Very good. On the other hand though it's nice to have another trick up the sleeve.

• Paul_S likes this

#18 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,434 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

In reality, I reckon if I had a standard GT-R I'd be lusting after a Litchfield LM20 GT-R.

I also really like the Porsche 911 Turbo S, in grey, please, Santa :)

• Chilli Red and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

How to post pics on this forum CLICK HERE

Prospective buyer's/new owners' guide to second-hand 350Zs (includes MY06 & MY07 improvements) - CLICK HERE

All assistance I attempt to give comes with the Murray Walker health warning, "Unless I'm very much mistaken ...I AM very much mistaken!"

'53 plate Gunmetal Grey 350z >>> '56 plate Ebisu Black 350z >>> '10 plate Universal Silver 370z >>> '14 plate Mineral Grey BMW M235i >>> '65 plate Gunmetal 370z

Tokyo Motor Show, October 2017???

#19 JohnFK

JohnFK

nissansportz Chairman

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,172 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:36 AM

The Brileavers wont let you buy a German car, but our ally Trump says I can have a Dodge as long as is orange.
  • Chubbs, Paul_S, Chilli Red and 2 others like this

#20 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

Will you ask him about one for me too then, please?  :bounce: