Posted Image

Photo

Accelerator pedal clicks when you floor it at near WOT ?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 moonshine

moonshine

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:17 pm

So Ive noticed when I bury the loud pedal when you get to 95% pedal travel the pedal appears to go past a point where it clicks or feels like something has operated before you hit the floor stop at 100% travel 

Kind of feels weird ,you press the pedal backwards and forwards from 100% and it feels like you have taken the pedal past a knuckle joint or something  , anyone else noticed this ? mine is manual BTW

only happens the last 1" of pedal travel

#2 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,843 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:35 pm

I can't say I've noticed but I'll give it a try and report back...

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#3 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:28 pm

Mine is the same moonshine. It just means you have a special edition, like mine. Where you get a little more throttle. :)

Seriously though, mine was really obvious the first time I drove it. I do notice that the last bit of throttle past the "click" makes a big difference to acceleration. Although I think that is irrelevant to its purpose.

One thing that came to mimd is possibly cruise control cancel? Not used cruise on mine to find out.lol
  • moonshine likes this

2011 - black 370z the doube D. 2years in and still a solid, fun and reliable car. 

1996 - oxford blue Rover 600 turbo - extremely modified, not that you would ever know it from the outside. My take on the ultimate street sleeper (tarton rug and box of tissues included)

30iBQSG.jpg

#4 moonshine

moonshine

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:22 pm

Mine is the same moonshine. It just means you have a special edition, like mine. Where you get a little more throttle. :)

Seriously though, mine was really obvious the first time I drove it. I do notice that the last bit of throttle past the "click" makes a big difference to acceleration. Although I think that is irrelevant to its purpose.

One thing that came to mimd is possibly cruise control cancel? Not used cruise on mine to find out.lol

Glad I'm not alone ! , never driven a car like it with an accelerator pedal that does this , my old 350z certainly didnt do it 

Something just to get used too I guess

#5 mattross1313

mattross1313

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:49 am

Not tried it. But I remember reading a while ago it is to cancel the cruise control, in a scenario where you are cruising along but then need to floor it to avoid something etc.

#6 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,843 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:25 pm

I think just a slight touch of the throttle or brake cancels cruise control.

#7 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:38 pm

Brake yes, throttle I don't think so. If it behaves the same as the auto you can floor it and once released it will decelerate until it hits the set cruise speed.

It may however cancel speed limiter......

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
  • Paul_S likes this

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#8 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,843 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:44 pm

Brake yes, throttle I don't think so. If it behaves the same as the auto you can floor it and once released it will decelerate until it hits the set cruise speed.

You are right! I stand corrected :)

#9 mattross1313

mattross1313

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:52 am

10 points to you! I knew it was speed limit or cruise etc. I'm pretty sure it removes the imposed limit, so you can floor it to avoid an incident without having to first cancel the limit on the steering wheel.

• David_R likes this

#10 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 477 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:28 pm

Hey Moonshine and David_R

Jumping in on an old post as I found the same annoying accelerator pedal 'click' on the last bit of travel yesterday.  It may have always done this (I've had the car for over a year now) and never noticed it.  The symptoms are get to about the same 95% of travel smoothly with relatively light pressure on the pedal.  Then to get the last 5% of travel, about two or three times the pressure needed on the pedal and a click sound with corresponding feel through the pedal.  It feels like the throttle has some sort of detent that needs over coming (or a knuckle as previously described).  I've not had chance to stick my head down in the footwell to see if I can find out what it is yet. 

Did anyone find out what this was?  Are your cars still doing it?  Has anyone plugged in an OBD reader to see what the throttle position reading is before and beyond the 'click'? (the last thing is what I will try and do next).

Can anyone help?

Dave

EDIT: Mine is a 2014 manual BTW

#11 Kano

Kano

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 579 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:49 pm

Interesting..  Mine does this as well. I might see get the torch out later and see what's doing it.

Peugeot 205 XS : 1995 to 2002

Toyota Celica: 2002 to 2007

Nissan 350z : 2007 to 2017

Ford Ka : 2017 - 2019

Nissan 370z : 2017 - 

#12 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:41 pm

Mines still the same Dave G. I can live with it, Although I was tempted to try a sprint booster to overcome the "delayed throttle" response programmed into our cars as standard. 

I have an obd but never thought to try this. I will give it a go and report back. 

2011 - black 370z the doube D. 2years in and still a solid, fun and reliable car. 

1996 - oxford blue Rover 600 turbo - extremely modified, not that you would ever know it from the outside. My take on the ultimate street sleeper (tarton rug and box of tissues included)

30iBQSG.jpg

#13 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:49 pm

I've just been out to try this on the obd scanner. 

First point = 81.6%

Pedal to the floor = 96.1%

I've been robbed!!

30iBQSG.jpg

#14 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:33 pm

I've just been out to try this on the obd scanner. 

First point = 81.6%

Pedal to the floor = 96.1%

I've been robbed!!

Hi David

Thanks for taking the time to test with the OBD and for sharing what you found. So the last bit of travel is needed then! It doesn't sound right so some more investigating needed as to why this is happening...

Dave

#15 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,843 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:20 pm

I know the 350Z ECU doesn't allow WOT in first gear (maybe 2nd too?)  But I thought the 370Z was a little less 'controlled' but I'm pretty sure that's one of the things that was 'fixed' when I mine UpRev'd.

Silly question - are you pushing past the pedal down all the way?  There is a second pressure to get it flat to the floor.

#16 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:49 pm

I know the 350Z ECU doesn't allow WOT in first gear (maybe 2nd too?)  But I thought the 370Z was a little less 'controlled' but I'm pretty sure that's one of the things that was 'fixed' when I mine UpRev'd.

Silly question - are you pushing past the pedal down all the way?  There is a second pressure to get it flat to the floor.

Yeah, there's a second pressure needed to get it flat to the floor. I tried my OBD reader just now too but it will only report throttle position with the engine running so no good for WOT experiments! 

I stuck my head in the foot well and it's something within the body of the throttle unit that is providing this second pressure. I'll try and post up a video for others to see when I get chance. I'm thinking it's throttle unit out for a proper investigation but I'm a little nervous of disrupting anything. I need to look into whether there's a throttle position teaching mode in case it may be needed. 

• Paul_S likes this

#17 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,843 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:52 pm

I can't remember if Consult III tells you the pedal position without running the engine.  If it does I can have a play and let you know, but it won't be until after the weekend.

• Dave G likes this

#18 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:56 pm

That would be great thanks Paul. No rush, it's not urgent. Enjoythe long weekend.

#19 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:17 pm

So I connected my OBD reader to my car and fired up my 'Torque' app so that I could ready throttle positions while driving (hands-free, so breaking no rules).  In 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gears, I saw 80% throttle opening at the first point and 88% when pedal to the floor.  Not sure if the OBD reader and Torque app need any sort of calibration, but from my understanding, it's just relaying the data from the car's ECU's so should be correct.  Doesn't look like I ever get 100% throttle...?  Odd and to be honest, frustrating if that's true.  There are a heap of procedures to go through to reset the throttle positions (idle and WOT) without the Consult gizmo, I may try it?

Going to have to do more research around this.

• Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and milanored like this

#20 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:39 pm

So I connected my OBD reader to my car and fired up my 'Torque' app so that I could ready throttle positions while driving (hands-free, so breaking no rules).  In 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gears, I saw 80% throttle opening at the first point and 88% when pedal to the floor.  Not sure if the OBD reader and Torque app need any sort of calibration, but from my understanding, it's just relaying the data from the car's ECU's so should be correct.  Doesn't look like I ever get 100% throttle...?  Odd and to be honest, frustrating if that's true.  There are a heap of procedures to go through to reset the throttle positions (idle and WOT) without the Consult gizmo, I may try it?

Going to have to do more research around this.

Very interesting following as this has bugged me since I had the car

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk