37 replies to this topic

#1 BZYS

BZYS

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

Hi Guys, just had a couple questions really.
Im hoping to become a 370z owner in a couple months. I currently have a DS3 1.6L Turbo (hairdressers car) It was my first car so hopefully everyone can lay off the banter 😂.
Im wanting to get something a little faster and more sporty. I was looking at the Golf R32 but its a bit of a boy racers car and its the same year as the first 370z.

So what i was wanting to know is regarding the 2009 370z. I know it was the first year of production and i was wanting to know what the reliability was like and also any problems it may have.

Im 21 and i just want to own it already.

Thanks guys
  • Chubbs and Paul_S like this

#2 Paul_S

Paul_S

Committee Member and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,498 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

Hello and welcome to the Owners Club :welcometonissansportz:

21 and soon to be living the dream! :clap:

I own a 2009 and got mine from new.  There's nothing really nothing wrong with them.  There are a few minor things but I don't think there is anything specific with the 2009 Vs a 2010 or 2011.  The only thing about the very early cars (such as mine) is that they have the older Nav unit fitted - not touchscreen, no postcodes, and whilst it handles bluetooth with your phone it doesn't stream music.  From the 2010 cars up they have a better system.

The good news is that there are no real differences in anything that matters - power, brakes, etc.

Good luck with your search, don't be afraid to ask us questions, and keep us informed! :)

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

Posted Image

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#3 Chilli Red

Chilli Red

Committee Secretary

• Committee Member (10)
  • 22,632 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:00 PM

Fantastic, not surprised you can't wait. We wouldn't banter about your current car, we are always interested to know what folk are changing from when they arrive and 21 and you are moving to a 370Z! Wonderful, well done you!

Sarah :hello:

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d  premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it

Check out our - 2014 & 2015 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

#4 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,498 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

Question - are you looking for a manual or auto?  Also, whereabouts are you in the country?

I ask because I know someone selling a yellow 2009 auto in Kent.  I won't be upset if you don't want a yellow one, I appreciate it's not to everyone's taste! :sun:

Posted Image

#5 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,406 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

Welcome to the club. It might be worth trying to see if the synchromesh is okay, especially in 5th gear (does it crunch when you shift?). Not the easiest thing to do on a test drive. Also, has it had the steering column lock issue fixed? This was an issue for some early cars and the subject of a recall.

If your budget can stretch to a 2010+ car, with the Connect Premium stereo/nav, it's well worth having.

• Paul_S likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

How to post pics on this forum CLICK HERE

Prospective buyer's/new owners' guide to second-hand 350Zs (includes MY06 & MY07 improvements) - CLICK HERE

All assistance I attempt to give comes with the Murray Walker health warning, "Unless I'm very much mistaken ...I AM very much mistaken!"

'53 plate Gunmetal Grey 350z >>> '56 plate Ebisu Black 350z >>> '10 plate Universal Silver 370z >>> '14 plate Mineral Grey BMW M235i >>> '65 plate Gunmetal 370z

Tokyo Motor Show, October 2017???

#6 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,498 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

Chubbs is right about the steering locks, although the same issue also affected later cars .  The steering lock should have been changed out during routine servicing.  If any were missed then Nissan should still honour this and replace it for free.  Someone on here did get theirs changed out this year (if my memory serves me right).

• Chubbs likes this

Posted Image

#7 BZYS

BZYS

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies, im just so stoked to get one. Hopefully insurance doesnt get too high. See thats the thing i dont know if i want a manual or an auto. I want the car to be able to have anti lag but then a manual is just car goals. So im not sure yet. It seems to be that autos are a bit harder to find in my price range. Also how many miles is too many? I have been looking for anything under 35k. I got no idea what your talking about with a stering lock. Im not very knowlegable with the 370z. And thanks paul s about the info with the sat nav. Not too bothered about that really. I can just get something new fitted for a couple hundred bucks. Also with the automatic rev matching, is that only on autos? Also do all the 370z range do it or just the more luxurious editions?

Sorry if some of my questions seem stupid 😂😂
  • Paul_S and Chilli Red like this

#8 BZYS

BZYS

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:37 PM

And im in Surrey
  • Paul_S and Chilli Red like this

#9 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 9,140 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

:welcometonissansportz: mate.

Good luck with your purchase.  There are no stupid questions honestly mate, only answers you need to make the purchase.  Ask away you won't be shot down in flames and no one ever posts go and check google.

You will find a number of people came from hatch backs to Zeds.  Have you ever driven one?

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#10 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,406 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:17 PM

1. Synchro Rev Matching is actually on the manual gearboxes. Although the auto's also do rev-matching when shifting down (naturally), it's real place is on the manuals. There's a little button with 'S-Mode' on it, for switching it on or off, just by the gearshift lever. It's on the GT pack cars (posher version), not the base models.

Screenshot-2017-10-23 nu-da-check-nissan-s-synchrorev-match-system-explained-the-heel-and-toe-robot-19342_4 jpg (JPEG Image....png

2. The steering lock issue is/was as follows - Normally, when you turn your car off, the steering column locks, so you can't turn the steering wheel - all modern cars do this. Unfortunately, the control module on some 370z's goes wrong and the steering wheel can't be unlocked, so you can't drive the damn thing! Nissan replace the control module with one that works!

3. Under 35k miles for a 2009 would be excellent (and rare, I reckon) - i dare say lots will have done a great deal more than that, even if you base it on only 7k miles a year you're talking about 63k miles.

4. The problem with putting new audio into a GT pack car with the Bose audio system is that it's not just a simple matter of putting in a new head unit.

Good luck with your search.

• Paul_S likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

Prospective buyer's/new owners' guide to second-hand 350Zs (includes MY06 & MY07 improvements) - CLICK HERE

All assistance I attempt to give comes with the Murray Walker health warning, "Unless I'm very much mistaken ...I AM very much mistaken!"

'53 plate Gunmetal Grey 350z >>> '56 plate Ebisu Black 350z >>> '10 plate Universal Silver 370z >>> '14 plate Mineral Grey BMW M235i >>> '65 plate Gunmetal 370z

#11 blobbish

blobbish

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

Personally, I've never been too fussed about milage. A car that's been sitting not being driven can have as many problems as a mediocre milage car.

Service history and driver history is my main concern. An so long as it's a reputable service centre I'm not conserned about Nissan stamps.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
  • A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Stillen SC  with 9lb pulley, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines.
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#12 BZYS

BZYS

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:35 PM

Chubbs your knowledge is legit on pointttt. So manual is what im after if it has the rev matching. And yeah i think id be doing about 7k miles a year. These were the ones i was looking at.

https://www.autotrad...onesearchad=New

#13 BZYS

BZYS

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

Thats what i thought, but all of the people ive talked to said get something with lower miles because the car parts have less miles on them and hopefully less money will come out of my pocket with servicing and repairs

#14 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,406 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

I've just googled 'legit on pointttt' - thank you, it seems to be a compliment.

• Chilli Red likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#15 BZYS

BZYS

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

I am fully in love with the white ZED. Its just perfect.

#16 BZYS

BZYS

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

Sorry chubbs im australian, different slang over there 😂
  • Paul_S likes this

#17 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,406 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Chubbs your knowledge is legit on pointttt. So manual is what im after if it has the rev matching. And yeah i think id be doing about 7k miles a year. These were the ones i was looking at.

The blue one looks pretty. The white one is enticing because of its bodykit & aftermarket exhaust, but I'd stay away from it - 5+ owners and a current owner who refers to it as a 'rocket' - could have been abused.

I would really encourage you to wait for a 2010 with the Connect Premium audio. One will come along, trust me.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#18 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,406 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

I quite like this one, at a glance...

https://www.pistonhe...gt-2010/7876936

Pre-registered by Nissan & owned by an old boy for most of its life. It's a long way away though - Yorkshire.

However, Yorkshire isn't as far as Australia, so you might not be too phased by the distance!

Edit - looking under the hood, I see his 'enthusiasm' didn't extend to keeping it clean!

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#19 BZYS

BZYS

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

Yeah i quite like that one chubbs. Good find. I need to save up a few quid before i get one. Im thinking about start of January or will see if any special deals are on in December regarding financing. My Citroen is worth about 6-7k so ive worked out i will be paying about 150£ per month for the ZED. So hopefully nearer to the date i could get some advice on the best zed to get.
Cheers

#20 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,406 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

In the meantime, don't be a stranger - join in the banter - we're not one-dimensionally, exclusively about Z's.

Legit on pointttt.

• Paul_S likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg