• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NismoGiZmo

NismoGiZmo

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

Came to leave work this afternoon and car won't start. Got the little key icon - locks work but just won't start.

RAC came out but couldn't fix it - tried the power steering lock 'hack' to no avail.

Had to leave it at work, to be recovered to the dealership tomorrow.

Only owned a car this old (more than 6 years) once before, and that was my obligatory first old banger. Might be time to move on...

Black Rose GT Edition 370Z (replaced Night Blue 350Z Nismo coupé (replaced Azure 350Z Roadster (replaced order #402, Sunset coupé)))
Member number 068.
SimRacing.org.uk Director General

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

#2 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 9,234 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

Hopefully its not massive issue and not the steering lock problem.  I understand its not such a horrific problem as it used to be,  so hopefully it can be sorted quickly and you will be back on the road.   I guess there were no grumbles prior to this happening - and this was just out of the blue?

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#3 NismoGiZmo

NismoGiZmo

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, completely out of the blue, no sign of anything wrong when I arrived. Came to leave, unlocked, sat down and thought "why is the key symbol up instead of the depress clutch message?".

Had to gaffer tape the window over too 'cause of course it had dropped several time and there was no way to get it back up again (Mr RAC disconnected the battery a few times trying to figure it out). Hopefully there won't be any serious rain overnight.

Black Rose GT Edition 370Z (replaced Night Blue 350Z Nismo coupé (replaced Azure 350Z Roadster (replaced order #402, Sunset coupé)))
Member number 068.

#4 Paul_S

Paul_S

Committee Member and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

Sorry to hear that mate :(

I assume the lock was replaced under the VSC (assuming it needed to be)?

Monday morning I think mine sounded different when it disengaged (I always make sure the stereo is off and listen out for it!) but it's sounded normal since.  But then it's been a bit warmer since too.

Good luck getting is sorted.  Do let us know how you get on.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

Posted Image

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#5 NismoGiZmo

NismoGiZmo

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:07 PM

I assume the lock was replaced under the VSC (assuming it needed to be)?

I think my car is just new enough to have not been included in that. It's certainly never been done.

Member number 068.

#6 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

I think my car is just new enough to have not been included in that. It's certainly never been done.

Have a read of this thread mate.  If you've a record of your VIN (it should be on your Nissan service documents) then see if your car falls within in.  If not then we might well have had a failure of the latest version of the lock :(

Posted Image

#7 NismoGiZmo

NismoGiZmo

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 475 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

My VIN was later than the service notice.

Was recovered to dealer around midday; verdict in - needs new steering column.  :o Grand total of £1782  :o :o - at least they should be able to source and fit it early next week, they don't have to wait for one to be shipped from Japan.

Member number 068.

#8 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

Flip! A whole column? That sounds a little odd to me. What is the justification for that?!

Posted Image

#9 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 9,234 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

Never heard of that :thumbdown:   There isn't much I can say which will make that one feel any better - at least though it will hopefully be fixed soon.  That means I guess you will be good to go for another 6 years. 

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#10 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:52 PM

They're always my thoughts whenever anyone I know has big work done on their car: don't change it, because it should be better than ever now.

One question I have is, how well do you know the dealership in question?  Because if it's very well, you should be able to get at least a good goodwill contribution from them towards the cost.  Good luck.

2004 Yaris 1.3 - A strong engine, good steering and great brakes, but its foolish owner fancies a change.
2007 350Z - Who needs Blue Planet when you've got a Blue Zed?

#11 JohnFK

JohnFK

nissansportz Chairman

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,172 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

Depending on what they say is broken, it might be worth asking Nissan GB Customer Services for a goodwill contribution.
  • Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#12 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:53 PM

I think we're basically saying, ask a few questions of a few people and let us know.

Unless they've removed the steering lock and found something wrong with where the lock engages in the column then I'm a bit bamboozled as to why you'd need the whole column replaced :wacko:

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

Posted Image

#13 CWM370z

CWM370z

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

Just reading this I agrree with paul s the as to why they say they need to change the complete strg col assy as all electric conns are in the strg lock which is a seprate item,

I would certainly  want to see why and where the strg /col has failed before parting with £1782.00  

hope you get problem sorted quickly  the out come will be interesting from nissan?. 

2016 370z Nismo v2 ebisu black 

Nismo shoulder pads, Nismo valve caps.cargo net. Nismo wheel transfers. AAM competition tail pipes .

2004 Black .KURO 350Z,nismo seatbelt pads,35Oz mats, ztax disc holder, garmin satnav.stubby aerial.z frt bumper badge.dealer collector box set of Zs.black led rear lamps.NISMO hightone Z horns.volk gt-c 19"wheels.Toyo proxes t1rs,carbon frt leds,carbon frt air guide panel.NISMO oil cap. gold custom bolts.carbon engine cover,clear rear bumper lights,red harness covering.carbon bonnet lifters.samco set of red hoses,jim wolf air filter and stainless air intake pipe with red hose connections.
 now passed on to matty bacon  

2014 BLACK  NISMO Juke, 2-4 switchable wheel drive, auto, and selectable 6sp box, Bonnet guard , NISMO valve caps,NISMO seatbelt pads. Rokblokz Mud Flaps.                                                  

>Posted Image

#14 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

Never heard of that :thumbdown:   There isn't much I can say which will make that one feel any better - at least though it will hopefully be fixed soon.  That means I guess you will be good to go for another 6 years. 

I would expect a steering column to last a hell of a lot longer than 6 years, it`s not like it`s a high wearing part  :angry2:

<p>Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters, UpRev and a big grin 

#15 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:30 AM

New steering column my backside.

Get them to check the code on the steering lock module, Im sure youll find that its one that should be replaced under the VSC. My car is a 2011 and it had a module that was included in the VSC.

#16 NismoGiZmo

NismoGiZmo

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

Got her back today - what a relief after the awful Corsa!

It was indeed just the steering lock module, hence the fast replacement. Cost before VAT £1290 which I think is about what previous owners had reported, but given the known nature of the problem I shall certainly be taking it up with Nissan GB.

The part number going in was N 48700 1NC2A - the service desk didn't know the part number of the failed one but are going to find out and get that information to me.

Member number 068.

#17 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

That's about £1k too much of its just the lock. At least, around the time of the lock issues coming to light Nissan reduced the cost of the locks to around £300 (from memory). It may be they have gone up again since of course.

Posted Image

#18 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

Ok. So I just did a quick Google search on the part number and perhaps you're right!

The US sites that list the part show RRP of around $1160 and their price around $650-$700

:yikes:

Posted Image

#19 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 31,677 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

I just looked back to when I was speaking to Nissan about this. I have an email from Jan 2013 saying the cost of the part had been reduced to £465.

Posted Image

#20 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

Ouch. From memory mine was around £500, including fitting... which was covered by Nissan.

I should add that was in July.

Edited by Cloudy, 11 December 2017 - 06:48 PM.

• Paul_S likes this