16 replies to this topic

#1 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

This will be the year.  The girl is in for its 4th Service next month and MOT (Booked Friday) and so in the Summer when I can switch Insurers I am going to do the deed.

Looking at a custom valve exhaust and hopefully fitting custom carbon tail pipes.  I know it won't be the cheapest exhaust but the car is a keeper.

http://longlife.tail...ution-4-5-inch/

The thing I really loved about the Nismo system was the etched Nismo logo

20160514 155823773 IOS
20160514 153412496 IOS
20160514 153404758 IOS

- but I think I could happily switch to Carbon instead.    I have been following the company on Twitter and Facebook for 4 years now and read countless reviews - they did the exhaust on the Speed Record Van with Guy Martin.  They don't know and won't do until the Summer and I can move on it.  But this is the year.  If you like this is my New Years Resolution.

Its the one thing I really want to do.  I am not bothered about custom Hi Flow Cats or anything like that (I don't think).  I am not sure it will be needed with a valve system anyway. But they will be able to recommend what is needed - the Guys I have found are proper experts.  I have seen some video's of the system fitted to a Mustang and Merc as well as a Audi R8 - The Mustang had delivery miles on it.  So the Adventure Begins. 

Here is the system on a Porker

• Chubbs, Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 1 other like this
Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#2 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

I will be following this with great interest Lesmo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  • LESmo likes this

#3 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,922 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

You never do anything by halves mate.  This is going to be epic, I can tell! :thumbs:

The good news for all 370Z owners is that whatever you come up with will fit their cars too - NISMO or non-NISMO :)

• LESmo likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#4 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,922 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

Oh, I meant to ask, are you planning a CBE or something a little different?

#5 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,431 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

Amazing Les, can't wait for the story to start!

• LESmo likes this
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Optional extras: Dynamic pack, black styling pack, Audi sound system, cruise control, reversing camera, advanced key, electric folding body coloured mirrors, electrically adjustable lumbar support and non smokers pack.
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition (manual) - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers, Black 'Z' badges, removal of GT Edition stripes - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#6 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

Oh, I meant to ask, are you planning a CBE or something a little different?

Not sure yet mate.  I think they design a specific setup.  I may choose to replace everything and know everything is the same age.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#7 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

Well the journey continues today.  Have made contact with the selected supplier, had a good chat on the phone they are really knowledgeable and friendly, we talked about three options.

Silencer changes (to existing Nismo system)

Cat Back Exhaust System

Valved System

I talked about wanting something which has more presence than the current system but not so loud its painful to live with.  They understood.  So the plan is I will go in next Friday so they can put the car on the ramp and we can design a system for the car.    I am staying away from CAT changes - as I don't want all the ECU re-porgramming.  So I will keep the stock CATS and change the system back from that.  More to follow....

• Paul_S likes this

#8 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,922 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:57 PM

I'm following with interest mate.

If you go bi-modal then you'll need to locate a switch somewhere. If that's the case, give me a shout as I might be able to help :)
  • LESmo likes this

#9 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:48 PM

Well the deed is done.  The car will be in for 3 days to build the system I want from scratch.  Tuesday after August Bank Holiday and collect Thursday.

The tail pipes first are Jupiter 5 inch - they have a slightly longer construction so should disappear more into the car at full size.  I was really going Carbon which give or take would have been the same cost.  But they only go up to slightly less than 4.5" which is slightly smaller than the existing Nismo pipes and a black defuser and black exhaust would I suspect have made them disappear.  So 5" will just give a little more presence and fill out the V1 Nismo Defuser a little more.  https://longlife.tai...jupiter-5-inch/

SS130RP.png

The system is a Cat Back Dual Valve System.  The existing Nissan CATs will be retained (for reasons that I cannot be bothered to deal with re-mapping and other stuff), and a flex joint will be added from the CATs - it will then go into a cross section, much larger than the existing nismo one.  Then straight piped into a couple of small resinators - to take the top end off the noise. 

Resonators:

• Almost straight pipe sound level
  • Cancels certain frequencies to stop droning and obnoxious noise
  • Not adjustable at all, you either like it or you don't
  • Decreases engine back pressure, increasing performance

Then the clever bit, it will go into a box on each side.  Half of the chamber will have some noise reduction fed by one pipe and the other fed through the valve will be free flow - through the relevant part of the chamber and out the tailpipe.  By pressing the remote control the valve opens on both sides and the gas escapes through the free flow section another press through the slightly dampened section, hence I can use it at 5am without upsetting all the neighbours.  The system will default back to (quiet) when the engine is switched off - This is done through pressure.  At MOT the exhaust will be on "I am a very good boy" mode.  The system runs using a remote control - so is wireless.

https://videos.weebl...r_video_479.mp4

Its not a cheap solution - I will not lie, but that wasn't the main criteria but it will be considerably cheaper than a Armytrix System and can be maintained by a team in Suffolk - I wanted to have something custom to me and the car and is based on a system installed recently in a Porsche, they drew it out while I was there and explained it to me - they say it should sound amazing and the flow of the air will be clean - who knows if there will be a few more ponies. 

I was going to keep the Nismo exhaust but its very badly rusted and one of the tail pipes is nearly rusted through at the top, so that will be scrapped as it will never go back on the car.  I was shocked by the state of the exhaust I will be honest - I suspect it would have failed in the next year.  The new one has a lifetime warranty and is made from Stainless Steel.

So very happy with the company I have chosen to do this, I met the entire team and they really do know what they are doing - this is the company I am using - http://demandengineering.co.uk/ - they did the Exhaust for the Guy Martin Transit record

One of the team also asked for first dibs if I ever sell the car :lol:

More importantly I will have it for the Workshop day.....

• Chubbs, Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 5 others like this

#10 Cazza

Cazza

Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

The journey does now begin Happy Birthday & Merry Christmas darling.

I believe there is now a queue to buy this car if it ever is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • LESmo and Paul_S like this

#11 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,922 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

Brilliant! :clapping:

I'm looking forward to hearing it and seeing it on the ramps during the Workshop Day. You do realise it's compulsory that you show it off properly don't you? ;)
  • LESmo likes this

#12 Alex_C

Alex_C

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

Sounds like a clever system Les. Definitely interested to see and hear it when it's fitted
  • LESmo likes this

2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate - Daily commuting tardis!

1965 VW Beetle - (Very) Long-term Project Car!

2007 Audi RS4 Avant - 400hp load lugger!

2004 Nissan 350z - How can I squeeze another car on my driveway?!

#13 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,321 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

Ditto. I hope it's at least as good as it sounds.  And sounds at least as good as it - er - sounds . . .  :thumbs:

• LESmo likes this
2007 350Z - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2004 Yaris 1.3 - It takes a little longer, but you'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.

#14 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,431 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:52 PM

Sounds amazing Les! Can't wait to see/hear this at the workshop day  :wub:

• LESmo likes this
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Optional extras: Dynamic pack, black styling pack, Audi sound system, cruise control, reversing camera, advanced key, electric folding body coloured mirrors, electrically adjustable lumbar support and non smokers pack.
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition (manual) - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers, Black 'Z' badges, removal of GT Edition stripes - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#15 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,922 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

The journey does now begin Happy Birthday & Merry Christmas darling.

I believe there is now a queue to buy this car if it ever is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les is a very lucky man twice over!

• Cazza likes this

#16 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

Though I would Video the Stock Exhaust today so can compare and contrast with the new one. 

• Paul_S, Neutreus and David_R like this

#17 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,046 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:13 AM

Well this sort of shows the state inside the exhaust. You can see the hole in this one.

dcb29c92e9f37c6e18b097eeac27d813.jpg

And the general rust once you get past the stainless steel outer tips in this one

dd05d0896d6da5bf02f8e406c7f95b43.jpg

Doesn’t look great does it? I have my supply of Autosol for the new one.

• Paul_S likes this