zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

Hi

I have been buying sets of new rims and new tyres just recently for my z and I have ended up with a bit of a bugger's muddle through taking the advice of a tyre smith.

I ended up with tyres which were the wrong size in several ways, one of them being the original rolling radius tyre size.

After several expensive mistakes, I decided to do my own research on equivalent sizes on a given rim size and I found the link below very helpful in finding the correct tyre size comparison.

Not sure this is the right section but here it is.

Hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

zedbedee 

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#2 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

I used it a few years ago - it is very good.  When you've used it a time or two, you can soon do it yourself the old-fashioned way on the back of an envelope or a fag packet.

A gps speed camera detector/app is usually a better guide for your speed than your speedo though.

Did you have a word with the tyresmith?

2004 Yaris 1.3 - A strong engine, good steering and great brakes, but its foolish owner fancies a change.
2007 350Z - Who needs Blue Planet when you've got a Blue Zed?

#3 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

I used it a few years ago - it is very good.  When you've used it a time or two, you can soon do it yourself the old-fashioned way on the back of an envelope or a fag packet.

A gps speed camera detector/app is usually a better guide for your speed than your speedo though.

Did you have a word with the tyresmith?

I had ordered yet another set of 4 tyres which were to arrive at his depot next Tuesday.

Just looking at the sizes he said I needed looked odd to me.

Because of my doubts  I went online and found this calculator site.

The nice thing about it is that it shows two graphic comparisons side by side and gives you an instant view of their comparative size.

Whilst I was looking online I found the correct tyres I needed at a much reduced price.

Once I had realised what the tyre smith was selling me was wrong I rang them and cancelled my order.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#4 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:17 PM

Good cheap tyres

https://www.oponeo.c...A8EoEfNV8F3yg3_

#5 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:55 PM

No expensive mistakes then?  That's good news.  Unless they're another story.

2004 Yaris 1.3 - A strong engine, good steering and great brakes, but its foolish owner fancies a change.
2007 350Z - Who needs Blue Planet when you've got a Blue Zed?