Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:08 pm

Hi

I have been looking at dash cams.

I suspect different people would have different reasons why they might want one, but I wondered why or what would you want a dash cam for.

Or even boot cams, (not reversing cams)

What would be your purpose or reason. 

Just curious. 

#2 rmonsanto1

rmonsanto1

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:28 pm

I got one on my Kia. Just thought it would be cool have. I like gadgets... Mine automatically starts recording when I first start car and stops recording when I turn the car off. I figure it would cool to have footage if I witnessed some spectacular crash. Or if I was in a wreck myself. Of course its a double sided sword because if you're at fault it can do more harm than good...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • zedbedee likes this

#3 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:27 pm

I love the gadget element.

I can see that in an accident it might unexpectedly go against you if you gave the footage up.

Do you have one cam or two, if you have one cam is it facing forward or does it look behind you.

#4 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 897 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:51 pm

I have this in my Z and love it...taking the gadget element to the next level

https://www.nextbase...irror-dash-cam/

stills from the footage can be found on the February meet thread

Original reason for dash cam purchase was following involvement in a serious crash on the M25. Footage would have speeded up the insurance claim.

Was advised only forward facing really necessary. If it happens behind you, you can prove you didnt do anything wrong with the forward facing footage

Thankfully, the main use ive had for it is watching back footage to prove other drivers are pratts, and watching back my laps at Silverstone.
Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

#5 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:11 pm

If it happens behind you, you can prove you didnt do anything wrong with the forward facing footage

My/our interest in a rear facing cam is due to our fear of being hit from behind or up the side due to tailgating, there is so much of it.

My wife and I suffer from verbal abuse, hand gestures and horn honking because we wait to turn right off of the road onto our driveway with cars vans and lorries up so close we cant see in our side mirror looking for,. eg boy racers, bikes, motorbikes overtaking on the outside who cant see us or our indicators flashing whilst we are watching oncoming traffic and about to turn right onto our drive.

We live on a winding out of town country rural A road with a speed limit of 30 mph.

#6 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 897 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:19 pm

sounds like you know what you want already

peace of mind is priceless
Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

#7 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,978 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:53 pm

I have one for the usual reasons, but it's also great for capturing footage of convoys to and fro' meets.  And Run2 events of course :)

• zedbedee likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#8 Fuku Fuku

Fuku Fuku

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,347 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:00 pm

The footage from mine meant not having to wait for the insurance companies to argue about whether or not I was to blame for the imbecile pulling out and hitting me when I was overtaking him and another vehicle.

Best investment I’ve made in a long time.
  • Paul_S and zedbedee like this

#9 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:10 pm

peace of mind is priceless

This is the reason I am considering dashcams facing behind.

Peace of mind does come into it, even if it could not stop an accident happening, it would be nice to have footage of the real reason for the cause of the accident

I have never been involved in one but the ones I have witnessed were very controversial on both sides.

so to have footage of tailgating, in the event of an accident, would give some peace of mind, perhaps.

I can avoid what is in front of me easier than I can avoid what is coming at me from behind.

• Paul_S likes this

#10 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,654 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:06 am

I love cheap gadgets. Just get one - or two.

• zedbedee likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#11 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:26 am

The problem is knowing which one to get, there are literally thousands of them on the market all telling you that.. 'this is the one you need', ...costing from a tenner to hundreds of pounds, they can't all be the right one to buy.

I was hoping for some hands-on guidance and what to look out for or to avoid from the members who have them.  :) 

#12 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,978 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:53 am

I started off with a £30 Amazon one and have now got a RoadHawk.  I did a mini review here if that helps at all :)

You can spend more money and get more features, but it's all down to what you want really.  What features would you like?

• zedbedee likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#13 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:06 am

I have a dash cam in the works van after two near misses and I have one to install in the Z, when the weather gets warmer.

I got these https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B01CZC3732

Prices have come down considerably since I bought mine (2 for £100) but they are small and compact, create their own wifi spot so you can download the images to your phone. I see no point in having a screen, I like a discrete fitment so the size of these is ideal.

The mini 2 has a built in capacitor instead of a internal battery so is probably worth the extra and also factor in a next base hard wire kit.

• zedbedee likes this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#14 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:25 am

I started off with a £30 Amazon one and have now got a RoadHawk.  I did a mini review here if that helps at all :)

You can spend more money and get more features, but it's all down to what you want really.  What features would you like?

Something which would cut the grass and do the dishes!  :) 

But seriously, because of the problems we have turning right off the road onto our drive, as above, we wanted a cam to record what was happening behind us which we could rely on to be recording at all times whilst driving, the problem is quite real.

Some people a little further along the road had a very similar problem only a few months ago.

They were turning into their drive when a motorbike went into the back of their car smashing the back in and even the windows, police and ambulances were called and serious injuries were sustained and the bike was a write-off.

The motorbike rider claimed they did not have their indicator on and had braked for no reason causing the accident.

Unfortunately, there was no footage of this so the case rumbles on.  

This is our reason for considering cams, particularly one to record looking behind.

• Gav C likes this

#15 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:48 pm

Something which would cut the grass and do the dishes!  :) 

But seriously, because of the problems we have turning right off the road onto our drive, as above, we wanted a cam to record what was happening behind us which we could rely on to be recording at all times whilst driving, the problem is quite real.

Some people a little further along the road had a very similar problem only a few months ago.

They were turning into their drive when a motorbike went into the back of their car smashing the back in and even the windows, police and ambulances were called and serious injuries were sustained and the bike was a write-off.

The motorbike rider claimed they did not have their indicator on and had braked for no reason causing the accident.

Unfortunately, there was no footage of this so the case rumbles on.  

This is our reason for considering cams, particularly one to record looking behind.

In your case I would definitely have a dash cam front and rear.

• zedbedee likes this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#16 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,654 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:52 pm

I originally got an E-Prance off Amazon, for about £30. When the battery eventually eventually gave up I replaced it with the capacitor version. Both are fine/ok/nice.

Edited to correct a typo.

Edited by Chubbs, 24 February 2018 - 05:53 pm.

• zedbedee likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#17 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:28 pm

I originally got an E-Prance off Amazon, for about £30. When the battery eventually eventually gave up I replaced it with the capacitor version. Both are fine/ok/nice.

Edited to correct a typo.

fine/ok/nice.....O'  .good 

:) 

#18 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:45 pm

This link below is typical of the abuse we get whilst waiting to turn right and off the road onto our driveway.

It is quite worrying that someone can get into such a rage because they have to use the middle pedal for a moment and lean on the horn.

We have been in this situation whereby as we were about to make the turn a motorbike flew past the outside causing us to brake hard halfway through the manoeuvre with oncoming traffic.

I have been driving for many years and I have to say that this kind of thing is getting worse, at least a rear view cam would capture the aggression in the event of an accident and a shunt from behind.

https://www.dropbox....- Copy.mp4?dl=0

#19 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 6,308 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:14 pm

Have you had a word with one of your local parish/county councillors, your local police, or even your local road safety partnership?  If you haven't, I would.  The councillors might be able to help, and even put pressure on the council generally or even the police to watch out a bit more for you.

You probably know that the law in England & Wales, generally, is that if someone hits you from behind they are at fault.  The driver in front is only at fault if, for example they've turned and not indicated or they've stopped too quickly and their brake lights haven't worked (provided that can be proved - hence the crash for cash scams).  Therefore, so long as you're indicating and are slowing sensibly (and put your elbows out a bit when you're approaching a turn - as they say in motor racing) you should be ok in terms of fault.  Going on from that, if ever I have a passenger in the car it is understood that their first job is to get the number plate of any vehicle that hits us, and otherwise we'd just sit in the car, call the police and hold our necks saying "Ow!" (even though my first instinct would be to get out and flay the other driver before the g of bang).

As far as cameras are concerned, I've had a Transcend Drivepro 200 for nearly three years (it's my second dashcam).   It received good reviews in car magazines at the time, but, as with all such things, it was soon superceded.  The picture quality is quite good generally, but it struggles with numberplates except for a split second up close (which would probably do in the event of a forward collision, if the other vehicle disappeared, and if hit from behind would at least show I slowed and positioned the car in a perfectly reasonable manner - hopefully) and isn't so good in very bright light or at night.

I am looking for a replacement though.  The others mentioned above are all well and good.  Frankly, I don't mind if the camera is visible, as if it means other drivers see it and improve their behaviour then I'd rather that than be involved in an accident.  The Nextbase range that you can buy from Halfords, Argos, etc look quite good.  The updated 412GW, 512GW, and 612GW all have better picture quality and the 512 has a polarised lens that's supposedly great in all lights.  The only other one of theirs is the Duo, which obviously does both.  Although I'm hoping and waiting that they'll soon update it and improve the lenses and picture quality, and then I'd definitely have one.

• zedbedee likes this
2007 350Z (my second Zed) - W

hen you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.

2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#20 Ste_ac

Ste_ac

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:22 pm

That's unbelievable that they start ranting and raving. How long do you normally have to wait for the oncoming traffic before you can turn right into your drive?
  • zedbedee likes this