zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:08 AM

Hi

I have bought a few bits of body styling, one of them was a rear spoiler, I placed it on the back of the zed to see what it looks like, but I can't decide if I want to fix it on permanently or not, It does mean drilling holes in the bodywork which I am not keen on.

yes or no?

rear spoiler yes or no, I cant decide    .JPG

350z rear spoiler   (2).JPG

I tried to put the pictures on in 'full screen' but I can only do them in thumbnails, is there a tutorial I can find out 'how to' please

#2 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,577 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

I like it :)

Are you planning on removing the factory lip spoiler?  I think that needs to go if possible.

(BTW, if you click on the thumbnails they pop up full size)

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#3 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

I took a look at removing the factory fitted lip spoiler but I don't know what is holding it on, I found two 8mm nuts under the hatch and removed them but couldn't find anything else and it was stuck fast.

I thought of attaching the spoiler to the lip spoiler to minimize the damage to the hatch in case we don't like it or want to change it back.

BTW some members pictures are full size and not in thumbnail format is what I mean.

Rear Spoiler .JPG

#4 mattross1313

mattross1313

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

I believe the OEM spoiler is held on by a few bolts (likely the ones you found) and a whole lot of sticky stuff. It does come off but will need a lot of persuasion.

I'm not sure attaching it to the oem spoiler would be strong enough, but a bodyshop will know much better than I.

• Paul_S and zedbedee like this

#5 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 9,800 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

I think it will look good as a replacement for the lip.  Are you planning of having it sprayed or keep it white.  I think the only way to hold the wing on (the pressure its under at 75Mph is fairly significant - my wing is 150lbs of downward force at 75Mph).  Is to do the deed and drill it.  But as far as I know most wings are bolted on - certainly the Nismo Wings are.

• Paul_S likes this
Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#6 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,489 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

I also think the NISMO 350 wing was designed to go over the standard one so that it didn't have to be removed.

• zedbedee likes this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#7 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

Are you planning of having it sprayed or keep it white.  I think the only way to hold the wing on (the pressure its under at 75Mph is fairly significant - my wing is 150lbs of downward force at 75Mph).  Is to do the deed and drill it.  But as far as I know most wings are bolted on - certainly the Nismo Wings are.

If I do put it on I will be having it sprayed professionally to match the zed.

I  agree the only way to fix it is with suitable through hole bolts & washers in the hatch, hence my hesitation.

I can leave the spoiler resting on the back for as long as it takes to make a decision, but once the hatch has holes drilled in it there is no easy way back.

I looked at having the lip where it is and the spoiler in front and above it, it does look quite good with a double-decker spoiler effect.

My thoughts are with selling one day, this might put a prospective buyer off to see an additional spoiler or four black rubber grommets in the bolt holes.

#8 CWM370z

CWM370z

Zedlet

• Committee Member (10)
  • 619 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

The rear standard spoiler is bolted and taped but it can be removed.  use a stiff plastic spreader as used in mixing filler to remove  taped spoiler from tailgate then 

bolt your new spoiler to the standard one  and refit to tailgate this way you only have to replace the standard spoiler when selling the car.  :D  :thumbs:

2016 370z NISMO v2 ebisu black   Nismo shoulder pads, Nismo valve caps.cargo net. Nismo wheel transfers. AAM competition tail pipes .

2014 BLACK NISMO JUKE  black 2-4 switchable wheel drive ,auto,and 6speed selectable gear box,bonnet guard, nismo vale caps,nismo seat belt pads , Rokblokz mud flaps

2004 Black .KURO 350Z,nismo seatbelt pads,35Oz mats, ztax disc holder, garmin satnav.stubby aerial.z frt bumper badge.dealer collector box set of Zs.black led rear lamps.NISMO hightone Z horns.volk gt-c 19"wheels.Toyo proxes t1rs,carbon frt leds,carbon frt air guide panel.NISMO oil cap. gold custom bolts.carbon engine cover,clear rear bumper lights,red harness covering.carbon bonnet lifters.samco set of red hoses,jim wolf air filter and stainless air intake pipe with red hose connections.
 now passed on to matty bacon  

>gallery_245_77_67379.png

#9 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

I did think of putting the spoiler just in front of the lip spoiler but I don't think it will look as good as putting it directly on top.

The whole thing will look different again once it has been sprayed.

rear spoiler positioning  (1).JPG

rear spoiler positioning  (2).JPG

#10 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:54 PM

Just out of idle curiosity, the OEM boltholes don't match up with the support posts do they?  I imagine probably not, but it would make life very easy of they did . . .

As for removing the sticky stuff that's holding the original lip spoiler, you need a fair bit of heat (a hairdryer on its hottest setting is about right - see if your good lady wife will lend you hers, unless you have your own . . .) and a very flat ice scraper or similar.

2004 Yaris 1.3 - A strong engine, good steering and great brakes, but its foolish owner fancies a change.
2007 350Z - Who needs Blue Planet when you've got a Blue Zed?

#11 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,577 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

I remember someone suggested using some fishing line to 'floss' under the wing to help get it off (with a good amount of heat as said).  I can't vouch for this approach because I wonder if it might damage the paint, but someone else might have more experience and be able to offer an option...

• zedbedee likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#12 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:26 PM

Just out of idle curiosity, the OEM boltholes don't match up with the support posts do they?

Unfortunately, no

#13 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:29 PM

The problem with removing the lip and attaching the spoiler to the hatch is that it puts the spoiler at a steep angle looking up at the front.

• Paul_S likes this

#14 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:31 PM

Unfortunately, no

That's a shame.  As you were then.

I remember someone suggested using some fishing line to 'floss' under the wing to help get it off (with a good amount of heat as said).  I can't vouch for this approach because I wonder if it might damage the paint, but someone else might have more experience and be able to offer an option...

No, I now remember hearing the same.  It might be more gentle than just about anything else.  I just fear what the rubbing/sawing action might do around the edges - as you say - so would also defer to someone who'd actually tried it.

2004 Yaris 1.3 - A strong engine, good steering and great brakes, but its foolish owner fancies a change.

#15 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:34 PM

The problem with removing the lip and attaching the spoiler to the hatch is that it puts the spoiler at a steep angle looking up at the front.

It might be worth asking your bodyshop if they might be prepared to cut/grind off the bottom of the posts at an angle so as to lower the front of it down a bit.

#16 PaulW

PaulW

Committee Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:49 PM

Not sure the Nismo does fit over the standard lip spoiler, the lip spoiler is much wider than the base of the Nismo

To get the standard lip spoiler off is a pita, but a combination of pushing on the bolts from underneath, gentle pressure from various plastic kitchen utensils and lots of heat gets it off. Then lots of sticky stuff remover to get rid of the adhesive residue.

The Nismo has 4 bolts and the rear most bolts do line up with the lip spoiler bolts, so there are two new holes that need drilling which is a bit scary lol

• Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and zedbedee like this

gallery_245_423_13930.png

#17 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,489 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:50 AM

Not sure whether this will help or not, but here's two 350s, one with the NISMO kit and one a standard GT:

Spa.jpg

• zedbedee likes this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#18 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:58 PM

It might be worth asking your bodyshop if they might be prepared to cut/grind off the bottom of the posts at an angle so as to lower the front of it down a bit.

The threaded metal bolt holes are through a 1/8'' steel plate which are fixed to the bottom of the fibreglass spoiler mounts, so changing the angle is not an option without cutting the GRP and resetting the steel plates to obtain a different angle. 

I do think the additional spoiler on top of the original lip looks quite good.......or even......ok!... :)  

#19 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

Not sure whether this will help or not, but here's two 350s, one with the NISMO kit and one a standard GT:

attachicon.gifSpa.jpg

Thank you, it does give a very good visual example side by side.  :thumbs:

#20 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

I have decided, I have secured the spoiler to the lip spoiler.

A final fixing place  (1).JPG

A final fixing place  (2).JPG

A final fixing place  (3).JPG