#41 faz2202

faz2202

Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

OK, thanks for replying.

As has been said here and in other threads, there was a known issue with these locks back in 2013.  At the time I liaised with Nissan UK on behalf of the club and they released a VSC (I'm not taking all the credit) to get the locks replaced free of charge - see this notice.

Recently I have been back in touch with Nissan UK because we've had a few cases arise again within the club.  So Nissan Customer Services are now looking out for failures and these will be highlighted if you report the issue direct to them, rather than via your dealer.

Therefore, I would urge anyone with a steering lock issue to report it to Nissan CS rather than just take it to their dealer to repair.  By all means get your car to your dealer, but raise a call with Nissan CS and get a reference number.

For reference, here is how to contact Nissan Customer Services.

Hi Paul,

I contacted Nissan customer service and they gave me a reference number they are contacting me on Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
  • Paul_S likes this

#42 Genmanic

Genmanic

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

Good luck with your claim Faz2202.

My 370Z is still at the dealership, they informed me that the part was on back order with Nissan and now it is on it's way from Japan.

#43 Genmanic

Genmanic

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

370z has been retuned, all fixed just in time for the new snow.

But anyway thank you Nissan 

• Chubbs and Paul_S like this

#44 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,423 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

That's great news (apart from the snow bit!)

Well done Nissan :clap:

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#45 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

I have a bit of sympathy for Nissan.  It might be a cheap part, but I bet it's not cheap to install.  I can also see why they might have dragged their heels a bit in the early days of this problem, as they might not have had any contact at all with some of the cars for several years, and to a certain extent anything could have happened to those vehicles in the meantime.

Equally though, the steering is one of the last things anyone would want to have a problem with, particularly in a car that's less than ten year's old.  So in my opinion it's probably fair that Nissan treat it as a goodwill issue.  If a car has a full service history with them, then it should be carrying a lot of goodwill to the extent that they fully cover the cost of repair.  The real question comes at the other extreme, ie a car that's never been back to them since it was first sold.  In the circumstances, perhaps something like a 50/50 split would be fair.  And their contribution increasing the more services have been done by them . . .

Their responses to other, similar problems/questions over the next few weeks will be very interesting and revealing.  I'm watching this space.  I'd advise others to perhaps do so too.

I agree with you in that there are lots of cases over the Internet and if Nissan have recalled the part due to failures then this should be replaced. As for goodwill, this is simply a tactic for not admitting there is a fault with a part, which if they agreed was in fact a faulty part all cars carrying those parts would need to be recalled and replaced.

I do not agree that if my car has not been serviced by Nissan for its entire life then this will effect there response. If my car has been serviced as stipulated in the service book by an independent then this should be good enough. After all, how is servicing a car showing loyalty to the brand....... Loyalty to the brand is purchasing further Nissans. Or am I wrong.

Some of use are lucky enough to have trust in the local Nissan Garage, however I have experienced mine attempting to drive the car onto a ramp for the MOT and nearly rip off the underchin.  Also having to call me into the garage to show how something in the car works as they were unable to open the petrol flap........ It has since changed to a Motoline Garage which means I have to travel if I want the Nissan treatment as I have little experience with this franchise.

• Chubbs likes this
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#46 Genmanic

Genmanic

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

My local Nissan franchise has always delivered and have given me a good service over the years so I had no reason to change and getting the Rac recovery thrown in with the service has paid off twice for me. I can well understand after the warranty runs out any owner moving to another maybe closer garage or one that offers a better service. However where you stand when incidents like this happen is probably left out in the cold. Nissan also seem to rely on the digital service history which non Nissan dealers would not have access to. I am interested to know if newer cars still get a manual service book because the second year of my service history was missing from the digital records. Luckily my service book was stamped.

I was surprised at the number of people reporting the same issue and I do agree Nissan should be looking at this a little closer. Any owner who has experienced this fault should get in touch with Nissan Customer Services and get a reference number so the case is logged. Users have suggested that this is not a safety issue however it does mean that the owner gets stranded in a car park somewhere as the car fails to start. I am wondering if we are approaching this the wrong way and owners should get together as a group and demand a statement from Nissan that the part will not fail. Bit of a madcap idea I know but my repair bill would have been close to two grand. 

#47 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,423 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

I have been in regular contact with Nissan over this issue since the beginning of the year. 

I am hoping there will be something concrete that I can report back soon, but these things do take time.

• Gav C and Genmanic like this

#48 plantmman123

plantmman123

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:28 PM

Hi .I'm new to this forum so forgive me for any mistakes or being a bit wordy. 

Re: Steering lock problem. My 63 plate 370 developed the problem 2 weeks ago and had to be recovered and is now with a dealership in north norfolk . They are quoting £1500 plus vat to replace the unit. Have spoken to Nissan CS and they have assigned a number and will speak to the dealers. I appreciate the fault is post the recall but having read many threads and forums it appears that Nissan still have the same problem and its not resolved. Is it possible that my 370 has an old part pre the recall. I have no parts numbers to go by.

I am concerned that the fault is known by Nissan but they are covering up hoping to get the customer to pay. Not certain where to go on this .Any suggestions as I am not prepared to pay for an ongoing problem of Nissans.

#49 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,423 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:27 PM

Hi .I'm new to this forum so forgive me for any mistakes or being a bit wordy. 

Re: Steering lock problem. My 63 plate 370 developed the problem 2 weeks ago and had to be recovered and is now with a dealership in north norfolk . They are quoting £1500 plus vat to replace the unit. Have spoken to Nissan CS and they have assigned a number and will speak to the dealers. I appreciate the fault is post the recall but having read many threads and forums it appears that Nissan still have the same problem and its not resolved. Is it possible that my 370 has an old part pre the recall. I have no parts numbers to go by.

I am concerned that the fault is known by Nissan but they are covering up hoping to get the customer to pay. Not certain where to go on this .Any suggestions as I am not prepared to pay for an ongoing problem of Nissans.

Hi and welcome, I've merged your post into this one to keep everything together.

Sorry to hear about the lock failing.  I very much doubt your car had an old part fitted, but there have been more part revisions since the VSC part was issued.

As you will read in this post, we are speaking to Nissan UK about this and Nissan CS have offered owners good deals in recent weeks - some of them very good.

Nissan CS are specifically monitoring cases like this so you've done the right thing in reporting it to them, and I would wait to see what they say.

Please post up to keep us informed with progress.

#50 Genmanic

Genmanic

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

Sorry to hear about your Z you did the right thing contacting Nissan customer Services. I really hope they agree to pay for the repair, the part is causing a lot of concern. Paul this is now getting ridiculous I wonder how many more cases have happened and dealerships not mentioning to owners or Nissan of recurring part failures. All as you can do Plantmman123 is let NCS know that you are well aware of all the failures currently happening and you are a member of the owners club. Did the dealership give you any indication that it was a common problem or like me did you discover it via the internet.   

#51 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,423 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

The gears within an organisation like Nissan move slowly and all I can do is reassure you all that Nissan are seriously looking into the failures and are taking note of each one as it occurs.  My understanding is there was a meeting on Friday where this was raised at a higher level.  I am waiting to hear back from that.

We haven't yet reached a stage where there is official guidance for dealers or owners, but I hope (and believe) we are getting close.  All I can say is 'watch this space' for the moment.

• Chubbs and Gav C like this

#52 WhiteJedi_87

WhiteJedi_87

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

Hi all,

So an update. With a few dramas!

New steering lock was ordered 14/02/2018 at the price of £1049.00!! I was advised the car would be ready for collection no later than the 22/02/2018. I received no contact from the dealership, who I rang on the 22/02 and was told that the bolts for the part had been delayed and would not arrive for another 2 days having to be shipped from Japan. They stated the steering was in stock on 20/2 but no one had taken the courtesy of contacting me.

I received a phone call 27/2 advising that the new steering lock was now fitted. However, an earth cable for the battery was faulty as part of a battery replacement I was having done aswell. I was then told that this will delay the car by another 4 working days! Surely this should have been checked at the initial inspection and not much later down the line.

Overall the service I have received was well below what I would expect from one of the largest car manufacturers in the world.

I escalated via Resolver and went on a twitter rant 4 weeks ago. Finally received an email 3 days ago from Nissan saying they were not willing to help with the repair due to manufacture date of the vehicle being September, which is past the VSC period and didn't even comment on the service I received.

All I'll say is that if your vehicle is outside of the VSC period they will not even acknowledge the issue.

So happy days!

The Z is on the market now, it can be found on the auto trader website. It was going to be sold this year anyway due to me buying a house but this debacle has brought it forward.

Edited by WhiteJedi_87, 20 March 2018 - 05:58 PM.

• Chubbs likes this
White 370Z GT with Invidia Gemini CBE

#53 Genmanic

Genmanic

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

That is extremely disappointing does the car have a full service history with NIssan?

Make sure you keep the Nissan Customer Service reference number as it may prove useful if Nissan have a change of heart. I would leave it a few days and call them again mentioning all the failures reported on the internet, don't give up too soon.

• Paul_S likes this

#54 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,423 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

That doesn't make happy reading.  I don't think that the date of manufacture is relevant given the fact that locks have failed on cars that went had the VSC.

#55 Genmanic

Genmanic

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:26 PM

And remember that my vehicle had also gone past that date admittedly not by much. These failure need more publicity for Nissan to sit up and take notice.  

#56 faz2202

faz2202

Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:00 PM

Nissan cs rang me today while i was at work and the left a message,they said that they will reimburse me 25% of the price of the steering lock.

I don't know why they won't pay the 100% of the price of the part.I will ring them in the morning and see what they say.

#57 Genmanic

Genmanic

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:28 AM

You need to tell them about your knowledge of all these failures on the 370Z, this is not a one off bad luck thing the fitted part is faulty. How can you possibly stay loyal to the brand and upgrade to the new 400z when it finally arrives if they wont rectify the know fault 100%.

Good Luck

• Chubbs likes this

#58 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,638 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

Nissan have a goodwill policy. If the car is out of warranty the customer is required to have demonstrated 100% loyalty to the brand, by having had itheir vehicle serviced exclusively by Nissan dealers, at the required intervals. That's their policy and - agree with it or not -  if you try to argue anything else you'll have a meaty struggle on your hands.

Having said that, these faulty steering locks shouldn't be the subject of a 'goodwill policy'. Even after the initial flurry of failures, leading to the VSC, the component is still failing and it should be replaced free of charge, even if the car is out of warranty. A part like this shouldn't fail for at least 20 years, if ever. How many more of these failures will happen and how many more do we not know about?

I'm going to check my 65-plate car today, to see if the rumour is true that they've stopped fitting the part. I'll report back later.

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#59 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

Personally opinion but Nissan CS make it up as they go along. My car was outside the VSC as it was registered in 2011 but the steering lock module part number fell within range.

It took me a week or two to get it sorted via Nissan CS and at one point I was even acussed of trying to pull a fast one on them. However, they did in the end pay for a new module in full... although it was only £500 back in July 2017. Not sure what has really changed for it to increase in price so much.

Also worth adding my car was not always serviced at Nissan... and the car was better for it. My experience of the dealer I used last year was pretty poor and I would be reluctant to ever use them again.
  • Chubbs likes this

#60 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,638 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

I`ve heard mention on previous discussions about the steering lock failures that Nissan stopped putting steering locks on later 370`s all together.

Anyone know if this is the case and from what year?

Just checked my 2016 Z and it's definitely got a steering lock module. The mid grey casing is quite different from the earlier models, but who knows what's inside it (see photo below).

Steering Lock.jpg

Edited by Chubbs, 21 March 2018 - 09:57 AM.

• Paul_S likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B