97 replies to this topic

#81 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:54 PM

They're fair points and fair questions.

If I was in your position, one of the points I would strongly argue is that I don't know of another car where the sterring lock is one of the first - if not the first - components to wear out in the ordinary course of events.  I may be wrong - I often am - but I've never heard of that happening on another type of car before.

Having the exhaust, the brake pads/discs, clutch, etc wearing out is expected and acceptable nowadays within reason.  The steering lock wearing out so suddenly is extraordinary, and I would take a tremendous amount of persuading otherwise.  And so should you.

• Chubbs and dicky like this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Better gearbox though.

#82 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:13 AM

Shouldn't happen until the car's at least 25 years old, if ever. It must be a faulty part or a bad design. In either case, it's Nissan's responsibility. I think it's outrageous that it happens and it's even more outrageous that Nissan don't fix it free of charge, without question.

Come on Nissan - you'll be telling us it's a 'feature of the system' next.

• dicky and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#83 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:35 AM

I have been in regular contact with Nissan over this issue since the beginning of the year. 

I am hoping there will be something concrete that I can report back soon, but these things do take time.

Did Nissan ever give you a definitive response, Paul?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#84 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,509 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:00 PM

Did Nissan ever give you a definitive response, Paul?

The short answer is 'No'. I felt we were making good headway with NMGB but when it went to Nissan Europe we hit a brick wall.

• Chubbs likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#85 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:51 AM

The short answer is 'No'. I felt we were making good headway with NMGB but when it went to Nissan Europe we hit a brick wall.

Isn't it a pity thet Nissan Europe need to be involved at all? Nissan seem to be playing a game of pass the buck, rather than being a mature, responsible company that helps its customer. I speak French and a smattering* of German, if you need any help, but I reckon Nissan Europe should be capable of providing some answers in English.

Edit: 'smattering' = 'bruchstückhaft' in German. Couldn't rest until I'd googled it. What a lovely word, but not easy to say.

• Paul_S, dicky, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 1 other like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#86 dicky

dicky

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:08 PM

THE CONTINUING STORY....sorry its quite long but with interesting developments.
Well, rangCustomer Services and as expected no good will offered. Apparently I dont appear to be a Loyal customer even though my 350 was main dealer serviced for 12yrs and the 370 has been main dealer serviced since we got it and as for as I can tell by the previous owners as well. However what I believe they mean ( if you can believe anything they say since their story seems to change as the conversation progresses) is that I didnt buy the car myself from a main dealer but from a guy on another forum.
They also stated that the fault on my car is different to the know fault. I asked how they knew that as the lock hasnt yet been removed from the car?
Eventually I began to get a slight glimmer of what this woman was getting at. It would seem the original fault with these locks was excessive grease being used on the mechanical parts inside the lock. The fact that my lock just failed with an electro-mechanicall fault in that it was no longer communicating with the BCM they wash their hands of it.
I pressed for information from their OEM regarding the number of operations these locks were designed to perform as Nissan would need to know that in order to decide whether to install them or not. This however appears to have fallen on stoney ground because their reply email didnt mention it at all and reverted o the earlier statements. I did threaten them with removal from my Xmas card list but even that didnt move them.
As I said in earlier post I quite trust my local dealer but even so rang around other main dealers only to discover a range of lock part and total job prices.
All quoted inclusive of labour and vat. My dealer quoted £1584, another £1289, another £851, and finally £734.
Lock only prices were £1191, £570.80, £611.30 and £536.36
Can you believe it all for the same job and pretty much all the same size dealerships.
Currently awaiting a call from my dealership as to why their so far off the mark!!

edit: forgot to mention all garages with the exception of my own who wouldnt provide the lock no, quoted the following lock as been correct for the 370...487001 NC1B

Edited by dicky, 04 December 2018 - 02:21 PM.

• Chubbs, Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#87 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:37 PM

Wow! I applaud you for your persistence, and for such an excellent summary. There's quite a lot to digest there, and I'm just reading it never mind living it.

I fully agree with everything you've said and done, and share your bemusement and dissatisfaction with how you've been treated. I'm going to have a bit more of a think about this, but hopefully others will have a few thoughts of their own soon too. Meanwhile, I would keep on with how you're going about it already.
  • dicky likes this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Better gearbox though.

#88 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

Can you believe it all for the same job and pretty much all the same size dealerships.
Currently awaiting a call from my dealership as to why their so far off the mark!!

edit: forgot to mention all garages with the exception of my own who wouldnt provide the lock no, quoted the following lock as been correct for the 370...487001 NC1B

Unfortunately, yes I can. Which is why I suggested you phone around. There is a reason they call then stealers........ 

• Chubbs, Paul_S and dicky like this

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#89 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:36 PM

Have you insisted your claim is 'raised to manager level'? That's the only way you stand half a chance with Nissan CS.

• Paul_S likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#90 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

So basically even if the car has been dealer serviced from new but you didn`t buy it then there will be no good will gesture from Nissan?

All this on a part that should really last the life of the car, totally disgraceful IMHO.

Fuse pulling time for me  :angry2:

• Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#91 dicky

dicky

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:58 PM

Well I finally tracked down why my dealer repair cost is so high. The huge gulf between their price of almost £1600 and that of another dealer £734 indicated something had to be wrong.
The low priced dealer gave me the lock part number they based their quote on but my dealer, for some internal reason, wouldnt.
So I contacted Nissan C S and spoke to this woman, explained the problem and asked if she could provide the correct part number for me to clear the confusion given my dealer wouldn't provide it. For some reason she launched into a diatribe as to why the cheaper dealer, who hadnt diagnosed the fault, could produce a quote without having seen the car.
I explained that my dealer had already diagnosed the fault to be the lock so all I required was the correct part number. But no she would leave this alone and repeated her concern. I again explain that since Nissan approved repairers use the same diagnostic equipment it was not necessary for another dealer to repeat the exercise but again she repeated her concern.By now Im really p****d.
LISTEN PET !! ...if one dealer diagnoses the steering wheel is missing and you need another then the other dealer doesnt really need to re diagnose the problem they already know what to quote for A NEW STEERING WHEEL Buggar ! How hard can this be.
Having got her out of her stuck track I asked for the part number again. Oh we dont have that information you need to contact your dealer...BUT MY BLOODY DEALER WONT PROVIDE THE NUMBER! Cant you give it to me to ensure the cheaper garage has the correct one. No she said you will have to go to your dealer.
Im now loosing the will to live.
Can you then please give me the telephone of someone in Nissan UK or Europe I can call to get the number? No she says we dont have anyone *@#&*@ I said, Im off pet. How do these people get their jobs.
Anyway and through other means I found the correct part number so rang my dealer (I hope I havent lost my readers yet!)
again to explain the problem. Eventually I found out from the store man that he had found a glitch in his computer which had thrown up a lock price of £1192 when the cost was actually £563. So now Im looking at a repair bill of £730 including lab, vat and initial diagnoses check.
Oh happy days. I have also asked Nissan CS to escalate my complaint to her line manager in order that I might pursue the issue that since it was necessary for the lock design to go through several iterations according to all the different part numbers theyve quoted since 2013 and that they no longer fit steering locks and their replacement locks fail after 3 to 5 yrs it suggests that they are not fit for purpose.
Tune in next week folks for next exciting episode of Dickys Lock dilema. You have to laugh

Edited by dicky, 05 December 2018 - 12:03 AM.

• Dave G and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#92 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:54 AM

The price in the end is not too unreasonable. I would however make a complaint that, if you hadn't pressed the issue and phoned around you would have been charged for the 'Computer Glitch' price which is unacceptable and how many other customers have been over charge for parts from Nissan due to this same glitch......

In for a penny in for a pound. I don't see you have anything to loose and would now push for 'goodwill'. After all this could be very embarrassing for them, and the fact you have identified this, to save them the embarrassment should be noted.

• Chubbs, dicky, Dave G and 1 other like this

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#93 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:51 AM

I'd second every word of that. A goodwill contribution of some percentage or other is the least you deserved and more than still deserve. This is a monumental c**k-up on Nissan's part, and they really need to get their house in order in this respect soon.

Just as an aside, I might have got in contact with one of the weekly car magazines (Auto Express or Autocar, but I think the one you want is Auto Express) as every week they have a page devoted to customer service problems just like this, and often the extra pressure from them seems to lead to a good outcome for the sufferer, and usually in cases where the recipient is far less deserving than you are.
  • Chubbs and dicky like this

#94 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the detailed summary of your (...I was going to use the work progress but you may not feel this is the correct word)... frustrations!

You are doing everything right and posting your story is really useful for others that may suffer the same problem in the future.  From the sounds of it you certainly won't be the last (sadly).

I'm sure I remember reading other owners being charged similar amounts to your first (now as it turns out totally incorrect) quote. I wonder if the 'system' glitch is contagious?!?

I hope you get the goodwill gesture you deserve.  You could always use the angle that the goodwill gesture is now 'only' worth £730 instead of £1584!  B)

Do please keep us all posted on how you get on and good luck!!!

• dicky and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#95 dicky

dicky

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:34 PM

As I’ve said elsewhere Nissan customer services are in fact a huge lump of marshmallow. They don’t listen, just simply soak up your complaint sound waves then play their prerecorded sorry you haven’t demonstrated brand loyalty and your complaint doesn’t match any of our complaint criteria ..So sod off little person and leave us alone!

If you’ve already had your recall lock replaced and it fails again 366 days later then you’ve no chance of getting help. If your lock fault doesn’t exactly match the condition associated with the first locks replaced under recall as having to much grease applied to the internal mechanical bits inside then you’ll get another standard reply “ We are not aware of any other lock failures of your lock part number”
They c**k a deafin to any suggestion that these locks are not fit for purpose.
The only hope I can see is if every member of every forum who has had these problems writes to the Motoring Ombudsman to register their complaint, then we might get some reaction. They can easily fend off the odd waif and stray like dandruff off their shoulder.
  • Chubbs likes this

#96 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 750 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

Unfortunately, yes I can. Which is why I suggested you phone around. There is a reason they call then stealers........ 

I was quoted £130 today for my local Ford stealer to change 2 bulbs on a Kuga...and they cant do it until 14 Jan!
  • Chubbs likes this

Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'<br>EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads - auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

#97 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:29 PM

I was quoted £130 today for my local Ford stealer to change 2 bulbs on a Kuga...and they cant do it until 14 Jan!

I'll do it this weekend for £100 :)

• Paul_S, dicky and Gav C like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#98 dicky

dicky

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:32 PM

I'll do it this weekend for £100 :)