zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

Hi

Is it possible to wire a cam directly into the cars battery power to eliminate the need for the cam power plug end being stuck into the cigar lighter socket whilst running the cable in the shortest distance.

#2 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Hi

Is it possible to wire a cam directly into the cars battery power to eliminate the need for the cam power plug end being stuck into the cigar lighter socket whilst running the cable in the shortest distance.

Yes you can get them online, I know Amazon sell them.

Just make sure you dash cam has a cut out at a certain voltage so it doesn`t drain the battery.

https://www.amazon.c...am hardware kit

• Chubbs and zedbedee like this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#3 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,413 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

Yep, and if your cam has this facility there is a battery feed under the seats (the sig lighter is only live when the ignition is on)

• Gav C and zedbedee like this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

#4 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:09 PM

Yep, and if your cam has this facility there is a battery feed under the seats (the sig lighter is only live when the ignition is on)

Can you elaborate Paul, it is something I`ll be doing in the coming months.

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#5 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,413 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

Can you elaborate Paul, it is something I`ll be doing in the coming months.

Sure, I wrote about it here.  

The pale blue wire under the seat is permanent live:

gallery_245_426_424852.jpg

I just realised his is in the 350Z area, and what I've said relates to the 370Z.  But I would imagine it's a very similar story for the 350Z. As long as you can adjust the electric seats without turning on the ignition then there will be a live under there :)

• Chubbs and Gav C like this

#6 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:09 PM

Sure, I wrote about it here.  

The pale blue wire under the seat is permanent live:

gallery_245_426_424852.jpg

I just realised his is in the 350Z area, and what I've said relates to the 370Z.  But I would imagine it's a very similar story for the 350Z. As long as you can adjust the electric seats without turning on the ignition then there will be a live under there :)

Cheers Paul  :thumbsup:

#7 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:41 PM

there is a battery feed under the seats 

is there not a live battery feed in the boot which would be closer for my rear view cam.

just a mention, I have another new cam which gives better quality vids & pics, which is not a reversing cam

and is there a live battery feed under the n/s dashboard which would be better for my forward facing cam.

#8 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,413 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:32 PM

is there not a live battery feed in the boot which would be closer for my rear view cam.

just a mention, I have another new cam which gives better quality vids & pics, which is not a reversing cam

and is there a live battery feed under the n/s dashboard which would be better for my forward facing cam.

There is probably one in the boot somewhere around the amp.

Around the dash...?  There will be one to the radio.

#9 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:56 AM

You can also take a feed from the interior light. I have an image somewhere on here when I installed all my mood lights in the footwell.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
  • zedbedee likes this
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Stillen SC  with 9lb pulley, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines.
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#10 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:32 AM

You can also take a feed from the interior light. 

Yes, good one  :thumbs:  

if the cam can be supported by the amps to the interior light why go any further.

if it can, the same can be done with the rear cam to the rear interior light, keeping the installation of the wires short and easy to hide.

#11 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

Just to let you know if you are installing a cam and need a direct battery power connection.

If I understood this correctly, I have found the hot wire kits for just a few quid each.  :)

https://www.ebay.co....872.m2749.l2649

• Chubbs likes this

#12 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:07 AM

Not sure if I would trust those, we`ve all seen the stories of cheap phone chargers going pop and starting fires and when it come to electrics I want to install something I believe won`t catch fire in the middle of the night.

I would want it CE marked as a minimum.

#13 Ste_ac

Ste_ac

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

Can't you use a couple of piggy back fuse holders that plug into the interior fusebox?  I have wired a dash cam into my car using this method via a switch so I can completely turn it off when I don't need it.

• zedbedee likes this

#14 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:44 AM

There are many places and ways to connect this cam,

but I was looking for the shortest distance from a fitted cam to a power source. I think chubbs has already given the best and closest option there is. 

#15 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

The wires to the boot courtesy light looks like a good option as a connection for a cam.

What I cannot find is the automatic on/off switch which turns the power on and off.

wires to the on off courtesy light  (2).JPG

wires to the on off courtesy light  (1).JPG

#16 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,427 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

If the 370 is like the GT-R and has an option for a tracker, then there will probably be a spare feed in the passenger compartment.

Alternately, if you have an already powered front cam mounted by the interior mirror, a cable from there through the headlining should come out close to a good mounting point for the rear cam to be positioned high up in rear screen.
  • zedbedee likes this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#17 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:00 PM

I have also now looked at the wiring to the front interior light for a connection to my front facing cam.

Wherever the power source comes from the dilemma for me is, whether to have the cam/s on the key or not.

If the cam is on when the ignition is on, then it will not operate when it is not, so any action to the car will not be recorded when you are not in the car.

However, if the cam is wired to a constant live feed then you run the risk of a flat battery when you return, unless you have a voltage drop cut off in place as mentioned by Gav C in his previous post, in which case you are back to the dilemma mentioned at the beginning.

#18 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

There are loads of kits that monitor the battery state and cut the power to the camera if it starts to drop.

• Chubbs likes this
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Stillen SC  with 9lb pulley, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines.
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#19 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 15,629 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

... I think chubbs has already given the best and closest option there is. 

Really? I wasn't aware that I'd suggested anything (but short term memory loss is always a possibility). Do you mean Paul? He's normally the one with the sensible ideas.

Anyway - whatever route you take, I agree with Gav about being careful when you buy.

• Gav C likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#20 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:04 PM

Really? I wasn't aware that I'd suggested anything (but short term memory loss is always a possibility). Do you mean Paul? He's normally the one with the sensible ideas.

Anyway - whatever route you take, I agree with Gav about being careful when you buy.

You can also take a feed from the interior light. I have an image somewhere on here when I installed all my mood lights in the footwell.

Sorry chubbs  I meant blobbish.

• Chubbs and Gav C like this