zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

Hi

I mentioned some time ago that my zed had exhaust and emission   problems and the eml light keeps coming on from the day we bought the car.

The car has gone back to EH several times, each time there was an engineers inspection diagnosing faulty cats on every occasion.

This has rumbled on now for some three months.

After I repeatedly asked EH for the car to be fixed under the three month warranty EH have suggested that an out of house small company with second hand cats might replace the faulty ones.

Would you be happy with second hand bits of this nature and do I have to accept it.

#2 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

It really all depends on the details of your warranty with EH. If the cat is covered I'd insist on a new one. Is it covered?

You're always taking a risk with second hand parts. One cat may be perfect, the next one may be duff. So I reckon it's up to you if you want to take the risk. You may save money or you may end up paying more, eventually. Do they offer a warranty, lol, and have you checked their reputation?

• Paul_S likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#3 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

I always found warranties that came with cars vague spurious and non committal, the one from EH is no different, it probably says 'does not cover consumables' that could mean cats I'm sure.

I find it all a little bit convenient that the out of house small car tuning company 'AJ'  just across the road from EH just happen to have a pair of second hand cats lying around the works somewhere which would fit my zed.

I objected to AJ saying I did not want his second hand parts.

AJ then became very forceful about fitting his used cats, I got the impression very strongly that AJ wanted to take this opportunity to sell his own cats on to someone as part of a deal with EH.

Although there is a three month warranty on the car I am aware it may not help with things the way they are.

However, when I bought the zed I paid for it in full on my credit card. I contacted the credit card company who have taken up my complaint against EH under the Section 75 Act of Sales, 'not fit for the purpose'.

But in the event that my credit card company issue a chargeback on EH until they repair and fix the problem, should I have to accept second-hand cats.

My personal opinion is that I should not have to accept anything second-hand for a repair, it may not be much better than what is fitted already and need changing again, out of warranty or Section 75.

I think the problem is here:

I rang Nissan Main dealership for a price for these two exhausts cats which come to £1,981.96 plus ancillaries i.e. gaskets nuts bolts U clamp etc. plus fitting charge.

It is my opinion that EH sees a cheap fix with AJ and AJ sees the £s for his second-hand used cats.

#4 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

If you do have no option there are plenty ty of performance dealers that have spare cars a plenty; Horsham Developments, Abbey Motorsport.

I know w number of people that have purchased them when removing their sports cat to revert to standard. However, this is by choice not on a car purchased within 3 months.

If you are that uncomfortable with the dealer then under section 75 get you mo ey back and go somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
  • zedbedee likes this

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#5 Daz JDM

Daz JDM

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

I always found warranties that came with cars vague spurious and non committal, the one from EH is no different, it probably says 'does not cover consumables' that could mean cats I'm sure.

I find it all a little bit convenient that the out of house small car tuning company 'AJ'  just across the road from EH just happen to have a pair of second hand cats lying around the works somewhere which would fit my zed.

I objected to AJ saying I did not want his second hand parts.

AJ then became very forceful about fitting his used cats, I got the impression very strongly that AJ wanted to take this opportunity to sell his own cats on to someone as part of a deal with EH.

Although there is a three month warranty on the car I am aware it may not help with things the way they are.

However, when I bought the zed I paid for it in full on my credit card. I contacted the credit card company who have taken up my complaint against EH under the Section 75 Act of Sales, 'not fit for the purpose'.

But in the event that my credit card company issue a chargeback on EH until they repair and fix the problem, should I have to accept second-hand cats.

My personal opinion is that I should not have to accept anything second-hand for a repair, it may not be much better than what is fitted already and need changing again, out of warranty or Section 75.

I think the problem is here:

I rang Nissan Main dealership for a price for these two exhausts cats which come to £1,981.96 plus ancillaries i.e. gaskets nuts bolts U clamp etc. plus fitting charge.

It is my opinion that EH sees a cheap fix with AJ and AJ sees the £s for his second-hand used cats.

I'm sorry I don't see what EH's problem is, the warrantee is just an insurance policy that protects them and you, they should just fit the new parts, cure the fault and claim the costs back from the warrantee company... My guess is they didn't properly register the warrantee with an underwriter hoping to 'wingit' for 3 months without incident and save themselves the warrantee cost, but now you have an issue it's bitten them on the a***. I'd insist on brand new genuine parts or replacement car/cash back 'section 75'.

Hatfields Jag replaced both mine without issue under warrantee after one cracked on a flexi, EH should do the same.
good luck mate!!

• Chubbs and zedbedee like this

#6 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:41 PM

I'm sorry I don't see what EH's problem is,

£1,981.96 plus 

:biggrin2: 

#7 Daz JDM

Daz JDM

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:45 AM

£1,981.96 plus 

:biggrin2: 

That's fair enough mate, but EH don't stand the bill, the warrantee company does, it's basically an insurance policy, EH should be paid for the parts plus their labour time from them, they shouldn't have any cost to stand for the repair. Wonder how long they'd warrantee the used parts?

#8 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

I know these insurance policies are worded to confuse people but without the information in the policy how can you determine what you are entitled to. I know that statement doesn't help as such but maybe you could post the relevant bit up someone might work in that field
  • zedbedee likes this

#9 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

At the moment, I cannot get any further than a promise from Evans Halshaw that they will ring back, which they never have in the last three months. 

I have always had to chase them to be given another promise of a call back which I don't get.

#10 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:22 AM

Have you tried calling the insurance company on your policy telling them the poor service your getting and for them to explain what you are entitled too.
  • Chubbs likes this

#11 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:02 PM

As I understand it, my credit card company, C1, is using the section 75 Consumers Act against EH for goods not suitable for the purpose in which case EH warranty is academic, because the case C1 are bringing against EH is a chargeback for the full amount of the zed until EH put the problems right whether it is covered under warranty or not.

it will be for goods not suitable as a whole.

whether this will work or not time will tell.

• milanored likes this

#12 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:17 AM

I have just had a call this morning from the girl on reception at Evans Halshaw service department, (9.45am) she asked me to take the car in for another test.

I reminded them that it has already been tested four times each time showing that the catalytic converters are faulty, this was also A J's diagnosis.

I also informed them that I would not accept AJ's second hand used parts

I advised EH that I would only accept a full repair using all new & genuine Nissan parts.

I left it like that, saying that I will now wait for the man in charge to make an appointment for  the work to be carried out.

Do I sound a bit fed up.

• Paul_S and milanored like this

#13 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

You're doing the right thing, keep up the pressure.  For what it's worth, I would want new parts on too...  Good luck and keep us all posted!

• zedbedee likes this

#14 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:08 PM

I had a very heavy day with EH today.

They had not rung back by 4.45 pm so I rang them.

The service manager asked me to take the car in for an emissions test then they would  "forward it from there" ,

I pointed out that this had been done four times already at great inconvenience to me and mrs zedbedee,

I said that I would not accept their offer of AJ's second hand used cats. 

EH said they never told AJ to fit second hand cats.

I asked why EH sent me to AJ's if that was not the case.

EH said ''to get the emissions tested.''

I said AJ does not have an emission tester that works, but EH does.

EH said I was confused.

I said I was not confused, I knew exactly what was going on. I explained that I had documented all our calls and requested a chargeback through my credit card company;  I had confirmation from them today that action against EH had already begun.

EH  service manager got very nasty and said '' I'm telling you how its gonna be''  and told me to take the car in for inspection tomorrow, (Thursday) 

This will make 5 tests of the same kind over a 3 month period which can only say the same thing as the other 4, that is , faulty cats.

so what are they up to now.

#15 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:04 PM

I took the zed for the 5th test in 3 months this morning.

All 4 of the previous tests diagnosed the cats to be faulty including AJ's testing.

I am told by EH now that there is nothing wrong with the cats and that it is the ECU which is faulty.

I asked why the 4 previous tests pointed to the cats.

EH reply was that it was the ECU which is sending the wrong message from the cats making it look like the cats are at fault.

EH said they will make an appointment with AJ for him to look at the ECU.

I said, but you told me that AJ was an EXPERT in Japanese cars and that AJ and 2 of his EXPERT technicians have already diagnosed the cats to be faulty.

EH said, that was because it is really the ECU which is at fault.

I said, why did AJ not diagnose the fault to be the ECU

EH said, because AJ does not have a co2 reader which works.

I asked why is Nissan not dealing with the fault finding.

EH said, no, Nissan don't know what they are doing they only have one or two zeds a year, but AJ does.

Please see the  co2 report I was given, EH say this proves it is the ECU and not the cats.

Do you agree?

EH test 2 - Copy.jpeg

#16 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:05 PM

The post went in twice, I can't erase it

#17 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,332 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:21 PM

My car failed its MOT with high emissions, (I had high flow cats) replaced the CATS with second hand ones and it was sorted.

Its very unlikely its your ECU at fault, I don't recall anyone replacing an ECU for a EML fault on this forum in the past ten years.

Have they told you the fault code thats been recorded to put on the EML?

I would be tempted to park your car blocking the entrance to the garage lock the car and walk off....... (these are my own thoughts and not those sanctioned/condoned by nissansportz )  :D

• zedbedee likes this

If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

#18 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,813 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:23 PM

My goodness this is becoming a terrible saga. If the local Nissan dealer is not considered capable by EH I wonder what they think of EH! The Nissan Exeter dealer has lots of Z experience (and cars on the forecourt). I really domt know what to suggest you do. It sounds to me like EH are trying to wear you down. Can you talk to AJ yourself to try and assess their level of knowledge. If they dont have the required equipment then there doesnt seem to be any point in them being in the loop.
  • zedbedee likes this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#19 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,813 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:54 PM

Right. I've gone back to the beginning of this thread. If they are now saying the ECU is at fault then i think you should let them fit a NEW one supplied by Nissan (you want to see the paperwork). Id also ask for the faulty one back so you can send it to Nissan for diagnosis. When you are convinced that you have a new ECU, if the EML continues to come on then you will take the car back and demand it be diagnosed by a Nissan sports car dealership. And you also need to write a letter saying that as the fault occurred within the warranty period you dont accept any expiration of the warranty until fault resolved.
If the dealership is still being aggressively defensive about this, write to their head office. And keep all correspondance youve had and insist any further work or examinations of the car are documented in writing.
Its relatively easy for us to offer advice but I'm afraid you are going to have to do all the leg work.
I think you are in the Plymouth area and if it would help I'm prepared to come along with you to EH and sit in on a meeting as former Chairman of the NMGB recognised nissan sports cars owners club.
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#20 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

Have they told you the fault code thats been recorded to put on the EML?

EH said: the co2 reading test, as above, shows there are no faults with the cats, so it must be a faulty ECU which is putting the EML light on and not faulty cats.

Here below, is a copy of the fault code carried out on the 21st.

fault code EH test - Copy.jpeg