#21 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

Right. I've gone back to the beginning of this thread. If they are now saying the ECU is at fault then i think you should let them fit a NEW one supplied by Nissan (you want to see the paperwork). Id also ask for the faulty one back so you can send it to Nissan for diagnosis. When you are convinced that you have a new ECU, if the EML continues to come on then you will take the car back and demand it be diagnosed by a Nissan sports car dealership. And you also need to write a letter saying that as the fault occurred within the warranty period you dont accept any expiration of the warranty until fault resolved.
If the dealership is still being aggressively defensive about this, write to their head office. And keep all correspondance youve had and insist any further work or examinations of the car are documented in writing.
Its relatively easy for us to offer advice but I'm afraid you are going to have to do all the leg work.
I think you are in the Plymouth area and if it would help I'm prepared to come along with you to EH and sit in on a meeting as former Chairman of the NMGB recognised nissan sports cars owners club.

We agree

I am not sure which  ECU the zed will need, so I can't look for a price.

You are correct regarding our location, We would appreciate your kind offer very much if it comes to that.

#22 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

Well done for sticking to your guns.

In addition to the excellent advice above, from John, 2 things come to mind...

1. Take photos of your current ECU, identifying it somehow (secret mark?), so you can tell if they replace it or not. I've been lied to by a Nissan main dealer about the replacement of a switch - they're not to be trusted. In fact, I'd photograph anything they say they're going to work on.

2. Ask them what they're going to do about the fact that they've misdiagnosed it so badly several times, creating stress and wasting so much of your time.

• zedbedee likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#23 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,814 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

Good advice about marking bits from Chubbs. Do you know someone with a hoist so you can discretely mark the Cats? Even if they say they are changing the ECU they might not be and hope by changing to the secondhand Cats the problem will go away and you wont notice...

Something else that came to mind as I strolled around this afternoon... You bought the car from EH. I think you should have nothing to do with the third-party (AJ?). If EH want to sub-contract the work to them, that's up to EH. Always drop the car off at / pick it up from EH. Then they cant say that you accepted the work done by AJ.

• Chubbs and zedbedee like this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#24 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

1. Take photos of your current ECU, identifying it somehow (secret mark?),

2. Ask them what they're going to do about the fact that they've misdiagnosed it so badly several times, creating stress and wasting so much of your time.

1. where can I find the ECU please.

2. I spoke to them at length about misdiagnosing it so badly several times, I asked who was right and said then the other of you were wrong very badly so why should I trust their judgement this time.

When they mentioned that it could be the ECU, I said then we can start from there, thinking if not I will have a new one for no reason and then ask for the fault to be located and replaced which could be the cats.

I think if they find it is not the ECU they will just take the new one back out and put the original one back in without telling me.

Where can I find the ECU please.

#25 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

Good advice about marking bits from Chubbs. Do you know someone with a hoist so you can discretely mark the Cats? Even if they say they are changing the ECU they might not be and hope by changing to the secondhand Cats the problem will go away and you wont notice...

Something else that came to mind as I strolled around this afternoon... You bought the car from EH. I think you should have nothing to do with the third-party (AJ?). If EH want to sub-contract the work to them, that's up to EH. Always drop the car off at / pick it up from EH. Then they cant say that you accepted the work done by AJ.

I don't have a hoist, but I will find a way of marking them.

I told EH this morning that   "I am not impressed by AJ"

I made it clear that I was not going to accept his used cats,

At this stage the manager  strenuously stated that they do not fit second hand parts as they have to put a warranty on them and that AJ's second hand cats as a fix, were his idea and nothing to do with EH.

​I replied... "that's good enough for me",.... but I thought I don't believe a word of that, after all, I have had three months of smoke and mirrors from EH.

#26 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,332 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:56 PM

From your photo, the fault is in plain English.....

P0420 Catt Eff, it means that the Cat is inefficient or has failed (possibly a O2 sensor) 

See here:

https://www.yourmech...y-jamahl-walker

Notice which remedy is the most common, you guessed it the Catalytic converter.....

The fault is for bank 1 which I think is the left Cat, if your ECU has failed you would expect to see the failure on bank 2.

Get them to slave in a second hand Cat and run the test again, I would imagine the emissions will pass with no EML.

If it passes they can then replace the faulty CAT

• Chubbs, milanored and zedbedee like this

If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

#27 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,332 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

Take a look at the attached from the Nissan 350z manuals....

Attached Files

• Chubbs, JohnFK, milanored and 1 other like this

#28 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:46 PM

Take a look at the attached from the Nissan 350z manuals....

Not sure if there is an error somewhere but  the code on the picture is 0420 not 0240 as in the remedy page

fault code EH test - Copy (2).jpeg

#29 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,332 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

I named the pdf incorrectly, the page refers to your exact code/issue.

I have amended the pdf file name.

• zedbedee likes this

#30 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,332 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:01 PM

Not sure if there is an error somewhere but  the code on the picture is 0420 not 0240 as in the remedy page

attachicon.giffault code EH test - Copy (2).jpeg

Have you read the page?

• zedbedee likes this

#31 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:13 PM

yes, thank you.

#32 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

I just had a call from the service manager of EH

He said that they have decided that it is the cats and want the zed to go in next week for them to be taken off and looked at.

• Chubbs and milanored like this

#33 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

Just an Update:

Nothing has happened since my post above regarding the repair of my zed by EH,

but,  I had a call from Evans Halshaw this morning, 9th May,  

They have booked my car in for Wednesday 16th  next week but I am not sure what they intend to do,

There was a mention of cats on back order for two weeks but there was nothing definite.

I dont know any more than that.

• Chubbs and milanored like this

#34 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:04 PM

Cough..

I finally got  the zed back today, EH have fitted two new cats and they said as they have had it for a while they put a new MOT on it for me free of charge.

I always said I had every bit of faith in  EH who are reliable honest and fantastic to deal with!  :D 

Joking aside, I do thank Evans Halshaw for doing this very expensive job and done very well and at no expense to me.

new cats  (1).JPG

new cats  (2).JPG

• Daz JDM likes this

#35 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

Cough..

I finally got  the zed back today, EH have fitted two new cats and they said as they have had it for a while they put a new MOT on it for me free of charge.

I always said I had every bit of faith in  EH who are reliable honest and fantastic to deal with!  :D 

Joking aside, I do thank Evans Halshaw for doing this very expensive job and done very well and at no expense to me.

attachicon.gifnew cats (1).JPG

attachicon.gifnew cats (2).JPG

They might have done the right thing in the end but how long it has taken there is no excuse for, if this was your daily you would have been in trouble I assume. One to keep away from IMHO
  • zedbedee likes this

#36 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:09 PM

They might have done the right thing in the end but how long it has taken there is no excuse for, if this was your daily you would have been in trouble I assume. One to keep away from IMHO

No it is not my daily car, just a fun car.

Having the credit card company behind me helped a lot I think.

#37 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:36 PM

There is nothing to thank EH for, they only did the right thing after being press ganged into it. If they had done all this without any prompting then it would be another matter. 

• milanored, Daz JDM and zedbedee like this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#38 Daz JDM

Daz JDM

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:43 AM

you sir have the patience of a saint, I think if it'd been me the car would've been back in EH's showroom by now........ via the plate glass window through which I'd have driven it :lol:  :lol:

but to be fair, it's good to see patience and perseverance triumphed and they did it right, now get out and enjoy it - winter and dark nights are coming...... (summer solstice today)

• milanored and zedbedee like this

#39 zedbedee

zedbedee

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

I did enquire about the price of these two cats at Nissan main dealers, I think I mentioned it above somewhere, they were just short of £2000, that would be plus the fitting so I think the waiting was worth it, particularly as I do not need the car per se even though EH had it for 5 month on and off, on more than off,  :D

I just used the time to resurface and paint my garage floor so I feel quite calm about it and well in pocket.

• Daz JDM likes this