David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've now owned my Z for nearly 10mths. The car has been 100% reliable with no major compaints. 

However the time is fast approaching for some new rubber. I got the car with around 5mm across the board on potenza's and now all tyres are around 2.5 - 3mm but looking to switch to another brand come the time. I've been tempted by the usual suspects, Michelin and goodyear just not too sure on the alternatives.

I would definitely like to switch from the potenza's, though. I personally dont find them too bad in the dry atleast (wet is fun) but if the general consensus is theres better, I am more than happy to give it a shot. :)

Lastly, does anyone know when we are likely to see the 4s tyres in the UK in our sizes?

cheers

David

PS. Hope everyone is enjoying this rare bank holiday weather!

• vjordon likes this
Posted Image

#2 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,415 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:04 PM

You can get 4S's in the rear size for a 370z right now, but Michelin have not announced that they're making the front size available in the UK, so it may or may not happen.

• David_R likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#3 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,528 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:13 PM

I personally really like the Vredestein's. Had them fitted to my 370 and have literally a week ago fitted the Ultrac Vorti's to the fronts of my RS3. Sooooo much better than the P Zero's it came with. This is the review site I used to help me along with past experience .......

http://www.tyrerevie...ltrac-Vorti.htm

Michelin Pilot Super Sports & Goodyear Eagle F1's also fair well unsurprisingly.

• Chubbs and David_R like this
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Optional extras: Dynamic pack, black styling pack, Audi sound system, cruise control, reversing camera, advanced key, electric folding body coloured mirrors, electrically adjustable lumbar support and non smokers pack.
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition (manual) - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers, Black 'Z' badges, removal of GT Edition stripes - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#4 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:00 PM

I'm going 4S / 4 combo at the end of this month.

• Chubbs and Gav C like this
Posted Image

#5 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,415 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

I'm going 4S / 4 combo at the end of this month.

Excellent. I'll be really interested to see how you feel about this combination.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#6 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:37 PM

I will keep you posted :)

Wonder if they are quieter than my plastic potenzas.lol  Well, thats how they sound sometimes. 

• Chubbs likes this
Posted Image

#7 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:07 PM

Well good news and bad news.

Bad news first. Tyre fitters have messed up one of my alloys. BUT I'm not holding them responsible as I am pretty sure it is down to the refurb job where the paint is extremely thick and the lip does seem particularly soft. I will get them refurb by someone in the future.

Good news - Pilot 4S/ pilot 4 combo. Early days but I no longer get the low speed tight turn hop/skip from the front tyres and the turn in is amazing. Feels like a different car.

Car feels more stable on a particular high speed corner I use often and the car now squats and claws deep into the tarmac through 1st and 2nd gears - quite an amazing difference. I actually have suspension travel I never knew existed at the rear.lol

Noise level wise - not quiet but I would say not as loud as the potenzas. Definitely a fair bit quieter on most road surfaces.

Early days but so far a huge contrast over the potenzas.
  • Chubbs, Paul_S, vjordon and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#8 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,415 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:03 AM

That's brilliant news, David. Several of us were waiting keenly for your thoughts. Can't wait for my fronts to wear down a bit more now! Keep us posted (even if you change your mind & think the combination's not so good, in a month or two's time).

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#9 vjordon

vjordon

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

Well good news and bad news.

Bad news first. Tyre fitters have messed up one of my alloys. BUT I'm not holding them responsible as I am pretty sure it is down to the refurb job where the paint is extremely thick and the lip does seem particularly soft. I will get them refurb by someone in the future.

Good news - Pilot 4S/ pilot 4 combo. Early days but I no longer get the low speed tight turn hop/skip from the front tyres and the turn in is amazing. Feels like a different car.

Car feels more stable on a particular high speed corner I use often and the car now squats and claws deep into the tarmac through 1st and 2nd gears - quite an amazing difference. I actually have suspension travel I never knew existed at the rear.lol

Noise level wise - not quiet but I would say not as loud as the potenzas. Definitely a fair bit quieter on most road surfaces.

Early days but so far a huge contrast over the potenzas.

Brilliant thread David ….

I am looking at the very same combination for my Z, so to find out that you are very pleased with them is fantastic news, and that you have got rid of that hop/skip … I am getting that too.

I will most likely get the 4 wheel alignment done too.

Thanks again for your feedback.

BTW …. nice looking motor.

Vicky x

• Chubbs likes this

#10 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

Thanks chubbs, vicky.

I was able to test them in the rain this morning too. Very happy, again. I pushed it a little harder than normal just to see how they handled and the most noticeable improvement is how glued the front is even in the wet. Obviously that is the pilot 4 tyre and I wasn't being too crazy but it was enough.

I've not felt the tyres loosing grip, yet, balanced. No desire too, really.lol
  • Chubbs and vjordon like this
Posted Image

#11 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,415 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:15 PM

I was able to test them in the rain this morning too. Very happy, again. I pushed it a little harder than normal just to see how they handled and the most noticeable improvement is how glued the front is even in the wet. Obviously that is the pilot 4 tyre and I wasn't being too crazy but it was enough.

Suppose I'm repeating myself here, but that's exactly what I did too, when I first got the 4s's on the rear - and they gripped much better than the old 'stones, on precisely the same bit of road where is was easy to lose traction. In fact, I do it every time I'm on that roundabout entrance/exit and I haven't felt the rear slip once... ....yet :)

Must try harder.

• Dave G, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and vjordon like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#12 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:26 PM

Driving on the michelins for over a week now. Still pleased with them, especially in the wet vs potenzas and they are slightly quieter overall.

My only gripe and its not really a gripe as such more me needing to get use to the tyre a bit more. The 4S rears seem to have quite soft sidewall, especially vs's the potenza's.

Now I have read this is something michelin have done with this tyre to optimise the overall performance by using two different compounds I believe to try and create the best allround performance tyre.

It definitely helps to maintain grip at the rear in less than ideal conditions but feels a little weird on some roads. There is more movement in the rear (not wheel slip) just play in the tyre wall i'm guessing, atleast thats what it feels like to me. Only slight but noticeable.

The harder potenza's made the back feel laterally more solid. Its a weird thing to try and explain (i'm no expert) as the michelin definitely has superior grip.

Bottom line is, superior to potenzas in every way. Just need to get use to the sensation especially from the rear tyres.
  • Chubbs and Paul_S like this
Posted Image

#13 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,415 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:46 PM

My tyreman in Welwyn Garden City says that the new Michelins are a harder compound than the older MPSS's (which he has on his BMW M140i), so they should last longer. They're all XL rated (including the Bridgestones), so they should all be a stiffer tyre. I suppose it's a matter of degree, but they must comply with the XL (extra load) regulations.

This makes interesting reading - https://www.oponeo.c...d-disadvantages

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#14 vjordon

vjordon

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

So ... The reason i was looking for new tyres (and i thank-you all for your comments) was that when my car went into Norton Way Nissan in Letchworth for it's cared 4 service i was told that the tyres were and advisory as near the limit.

Well after all of your comments i too decided on the Michelin combination, so i was passing Protyre in Welwyn Garden City this afternoon and decided to go in for a quotation, thankfully their computer system had gone down and the guy had a bit of time to have a look at my current tyres to double check the sizes and guess what he said ?  yep ... why do you want new tyres !!!!!!!!!! turns out that i still have 5mm left ... Grrrrrrrr.

B  

• Chubbs likes this

#15 vjordon

vjordon

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

So ... The reason i was looking for new tyres (and i thank-you all for your comments) was that when my car went into Norton Way Nissan in Letchworth for it's cared 4 service i was told that the tyres were and advisory as near the limit.

Well after all of your comments i too decided on the Michelin combination, so i was passing Protyre in Welwyn Garden City this afternoon and decided to go in for a quotation, thankfully their computer system had gone down and the guy had a bit of time to have a look at my current tyres to double check the sizes and guess what he said ?  yep ... why do you want new tyres !!!!!!!!!! turns out that i still have 5mm left ... Grrrrrrrr.

B  

I was going to swear then ..... anyway, looks like i will save the money until i really do need them changing !!

• Chubbs likes this

#16 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:44 PM

I suppose that's good news, Vicky.  Even though it probably doesn't feel like it.

On reflection, I have seen myself that a lot of dealerships will begin to flag up tyres as an issue when they get between 6mm-3mm of tread depth, even though at the upper end of that spectrum they've got lots of life left in them.

I'd recommend getting hold of a cheap tyre gauge yourself (and just having a look at yours every few months, and certainly before you visit a garage), and an expensive bottle of red wine to celebrate the unexpected longevity of your tyres.  :drunk:  :D 

• vjordon likes this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#17 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,415 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:46 PM

Yet another dubious 'plus' for Norton Way Nissan - not only are they lazy, deceitful and incompetent, but it looks like they tell bareface lies now, too. By the way, I like Protyres WGC - they fitted the Michelin MP4S's I'd bought online, to my rear axle. Very pleasant people. WGC has has at least two good tyre places - Supertyres are excellent too.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings and vjordon like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#18 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

Just to mention also on the flip side of having a softer sidewall I now have zero tram lining and chose a few roads on my little drive this morning that wreak havoc for the potenzas that the michelins had no issue at all dealing with so another big plus.

• Chubbs likes this
Posted Image

#19 vjordon

vjordon

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

I suppose that's good news, Vicky.  Even though it probably doesn't feel like it.

On reflection, I have seen myself that a lot of dealerships will begin to flag up tyres as an issue when they get between 6mm-3mm of tread depth, even though at the upper end of that spectrum they've got lots of life left in them.

I'd recommend getting hold of a cheap tyre gauge yourself (and just having a look at yours every few months, and certainly before you visit a garage), and an expensive bottle of red wine to celebrate the unexpected longevity of your tyres.  :drunk:  :D

Oh i have a lovely bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc chilling to have with my Dinner.... all to myself.

Vicky xx

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#20 vjordon

vjordon

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:33 AM

Yet another dubious 'plus' for Norton Way Nissan - not only are they lazy, deceitful and incompetent, but it looks like they tell bareface lies now, too. By the way, I like Protyres WGC - they fitted the Michelin MP4S's I'd bought online, to my rear axle. Very pleasant people. WGC has has at least two good tyre places - Supertyres are excellent too.

I am going to drive over to Letchworth sometime next week to see what the service manager has to say for himself..... i am not standing for it, after all it might have cost me £750.00.

Vicky xx

• Chubbs likes this