54 replies to this topic

#21 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,600 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:36 AM

I am going to drive over to Letchworth sometime next week to see what the service manager has to say for himself..... i am not standing for it, after all it might have cost me £750.00.

Vicky xx

Good luck! If it's Daniel Wolfe you'll need it. I've met more 'straightforward' people in my life (most of the people I've ever met, in fact).

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#22 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,997 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

Damned if they do – Damned* if they don’t!

(Vicky – sorry this is a verbose posting. I think there’s some useful advise / comment at the end!)

Given that the police have virtually given up on doing vehicle roadworthiness checks (except as: a] an excuse to stop you for something else they suspect; or b] investigating after you’ve been involved in a serious accident) that leaves only two regular roadworthiness events, the MOT and at a vehicle service.

Most car manufacturers’ dealerships have now added to their service tasks a visual roadworthiness check. And given that service intervals can be a year apart, and in a worst case scenario, can coincide with the 12th month MOT interval, they take it upon themselves to report back anything which may need attention before the next service. In this case, if I was them, I would say that tread depth lower than 6mm is something worth pointing out to the owner.

In our cases, as car and driving enthusiasts, we would be keeping an eye on this anyway. In fact, my recent 350Z service did come back as 5mm all round and was duly pointed out. Now I know my current annual mileage in that car is less than 1,000, so my response was “Thanks for pointing that out, I’ll keep an eye on it and deal with it when it reaches a more critical point.”

However, it is fair to say the dealership deals with all sorts of car owners, amongst which are what I call the “car illiterati”. You know, the ones who never look under the bonnet at anything, never check their tyre pressures, let alone the tyre tread depth. If one of these individuals’ cars was involved in an accident and the police investigation found they had a bald tyre, and they then turned round and said “but I had the car serviced two months ago and nobody mentioned anything” then the dealership could find themselves in trouble with various authorities and so not just *“damned” but even possibly sued by the vehicle owner.

Personally, when I’m driving on the roads, I’d feel safer if the car in front, or behind, or besides me, has had new tyres fitted early due to their own lack of awareness, rather than them having tyres below the legal limit. Selfish I know.

So for me, the issue isn’t about them telling you about your tyre condition. It may well be about how they told you. They should have given you the service checklist, and discussed anything they found. If they just tried to sell you some tyres, then I’d agree that is an issue (I would never buy tyres through a dealership but do some checking and then decide what I wanted and where to go – which is what you did).

Hope this helps.

• Paul_S likes this

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#23 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:52 PM

Over two months on these tyres already and loving them more and more. 

It chucked it down on my commute home and so the roads might be considered extra greasy. 2nd gear on a large roundabout at slow speed following an overly cautious driver at a safe distance I waited until they cleared and booted it thinking the back would step but it just twitched very slightly and gripped very confidently. Really pleased with the day/night transformation over the re50a's in the wet.

Love this tyre combo in the dry too. They have improved in the dry since new and my favourite thing about this car now is the cornering ability. Driving the Z near the limits is really satisfying (when you can) and the heavy controls are perfect for me. Its like a gym session but you pay for fuel not a gym membership.lol  its definitely a brute as opposed to a refined pin sharp cornering machine but it hangs on even when you think it wont. It just takes effort but what a great car to learn to drive properly.

• Chubbs, Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#24 ProfessorZ

ProfessorZ

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:20 PM

Over two months on these tyres already and loving them more and more. 

It chucked it down on my commute home and so the roads might be considered extra greasy. 2nd gear on a large roundabout at slow speed following an overly cautious driver at a safe distance I waited until they cleared and booted it thinking the back would step but it just twitched very slightly and gripped very confidently. Really pleased with the day/night transformation over the re50a's in the wet.

Love this tyre combo in the dry too. They have improved in the dry since new and my favourite thing about this car now is the cornering ability. Driving the Z near the limits is really satisfying (when you can) and the heavy controls are perfect for me. Its like a gym session but you pay for fuel not a gym membership.lol  its definitely a brute as opposed to a refined pin sharp cornering machine but it hangs on even when you think it wont. It just takes effort but what a great car to learn to drive properly.

Do you still have traction control on?

• Chubbs likes this

#25 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

Do you still have traction control on?

Not lately. I turn it off when I remember. Roads have been so dry. It will spin up easily enough if your really snappy or aggressive with the throttle (it is a RWD with some power afterall) in the lower gears but otherwise it seems to hang on really well.

I kept it on in the rain yesterday, though. I was expecting it to slip out and TC cut in but with no noticeable interference from the TC it gripped up very nicely and accelerated. Whereas before (prev tyres) it would always completely cut in, which is why I started turning TC off as I found it more a hindrance in certain situations.

• Chubbs, ProfessorZ and Gav C like this
Posted Image

#26 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

The Nissan TC is horrendous, in fact I would say in some situations it puts you in more danger as it just cuts the power. Its like pulling the plug out of a bouncy castle.

After switching from UpRev to EcuTek I was able to get the TC to be tuned and controlled by EcuTek instead of the stock Nissan and its much, much better, completely tunable. The way it controls traction just feels smoother you dont feel like fuelling has just been stopped.

• Chubbs, Paul_S, Neutreus and 1 other like this
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#27 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,563 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

I hear you on that one Rob. I remember first getting my 370 and in mildly moist conditions I was exiting a roundabout and applying the throttle when the back end stepped out. I countered this as I've done many times on track and occasionally on the road and then the car cut power and I almost snapped the other way. Thankfully I was quick to react to what the car was doing and after a coupe of snakes down the dual carriageway, carried on with a slightly elevated heart beat!

Had the TC been more subtle (or I'd had it turned off), it would have been a far less dramatic moment.

2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Optional extras: Dynamic pack, black styling pack, Audi sound system, cruise control, reversing camera, advanced key, electric folding body coloured mirrors, electrically adjustable lumbar support and non smokers pack.
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition (manual) - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers, Black 'Z' badges, removal of GT Edition stripes - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#28 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,600 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:31 AM

Got Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres fitted to the front wheels, to complete the set, sort of (the rears are MPS 4S's). First impressions are VERY favorable. The car is handling really well - much better than yesterday, when it had the original Bridgestones on. This isn't the placebo effect - it really is a great deal better - far more stable. If anyone's half & half about this combination of tyres, please don't be - it works.

• vjordon and Gav C like this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#29 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

Hijacking the thread slightly the Z passed the MOT yesterday with a advisory on the rear tyres :- slight cracking visible or words to that effect. I have noticed a bit of cracking when cleaning the wheels but i would not say i was concerned in the slightest and put it down to the rubber and UV , they are the original 2014 tyre with 10,000 approx miles on, my question is anyone experienced on what has been picked up by the MOT, do tyres have a shelf life, of course if they are cracked badly it would be obvious to replace 

#30 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 791 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:20 PM

The 2014 Nismo, with 10,000 miles on it, that I have just bought, had MOT advisories on it for all 4 original Bridgestone's, along the lines of 'perished'...good reason to put Michelins on!

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings, milanored and Gav C like this
Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

#31 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:35 PM

On any sort of performance car, after four years you'll have had the best out of the tyres.  Particlarly if they've seen a lot of daylight/UV light.

On something big and heavy with a bit of oomph, like a Zed, I'd be looking to change tyres as soon as a crack began to appear.  I'd hate it to let go while you're out and about in it.

• milanored likes this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - ". . . vigorously shakes out all your loose change and sends you hyperventilating on your way".
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#32 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,600 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

Just to add to my very favorable first impressions posted yesterday, the MPS4's on the front wheels don't tramline on deeply grooved road surfaces like the 'stones used to - excellent. Yet another addition to the more stable drive they give.

And I'm loving the tread pattern - nice big grooves to disperse the rainwater...

tyre.jpg

• Paul_S and Gav C like this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#33 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:23 PM

Just to add to my very favorable first impressions posted yesterday, the MPS4's on the front wheels don't tramline on deeply grooved road surfaces like the 'stones used to - excellent. Yet another addition to the more stable drive they give.

And I'm loving the tread pattern - nice big grooves to disperse the rainwater...

attachicon.giftyre.jpg

I`ve not tried them in the rain yet but I found the same as you, very little tramlining.

• Chubbs likes this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#34 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,600 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:55 AM

The postman delivered my free gift from Michelin just now (with 2 little batteries slung into the jiffy bag for good measure!)...

IMG_20181006_104434867.jpg

The question is, do they go on the campervan or do they go on the Ebay? Ebay is very tempting, because they sell for £119 :shockhorror: and I don't really need them on the van.

I don't know if this Protyres/Michelin offer is still running, but the value of the free gift is not far off the cost of one of the tyres - pretty incredible.

• Paul_S likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#35 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,017 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

EBay mate. Then treat yourself (or the Z, the Mrs, etc.) to something nice :)
  • Chubbs likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#36 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:48 PM

I wanted this update to be 100% positive and as far as my experience with the tyres is concerned, it is...

However, bad luck struck me on friday when I discovered a slow puncture in my 6months old MPS4s. It turned out to be what looks like a wall bracket which I'm guessing came from my neighbours who have just done alot of DIY using less than desirable workman. :( Cant be sure but there is a coincidence.

I decided to have it plugged because in 6mths the tyres are wearing brilliantly <1mm with spirited driving (ok some nutcase driving :P) but testament to the durability. 

k7d5LiZ.jpg

Edited by David_R, 09 December 2018 - 03:48 PM.

Posted Image

#37 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,600 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:18 PM

Bad luck, David :(

My experience of these tyres now that the cold, wet weather has arrived, is very positive. I've only had one twitch and that was on my favourite, familiar twitchy roundabout exit, where I'm sure I'd have had more than a small 'letting go' with the Bridgestones.

They're good tyres.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#38 Kano

Kano

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

Seems that PS4S for the rear are back in stock everywhere, but seemingly at a premium price.  The cheapest I can find are at camskill for £300 a corner, which seems a bit expensive.  Low stocks are pushing up prices.

https://www.camskill...php?show=145789

Peugeot 205 XS : 1995 to 2002

Toyota Celica: 2002 to 2007

Nissan 350z : 2007 to 2017

Nissan 370z : 2017 - 

Ford Ka : 2017 -

#39 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,810 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:47 AM

I understand the ones I had fitted last Friday came from two different suppliers.  So it would suggest that's true.  I paid:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 285/35 R19 Y (103), Reinforced, Asymmetrical £265.36ea   2 =  £530.72

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 245/40 R19 Y (98), Reinforced, Asymmetrical £162.90ea        2 = £325.80

I got £40 off for 4 Tyres and another £20 for being inconvenienced which did actually get paid to me so I am impressed.  So in total I Paid £796.52 fitted for 4 Tyres.  Blackcircles. 

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#40 Kano

Kano

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

Oh my word, what an absolute rip off.  Click on the below thumbnail, profiteering 'ards..   :angry:

tyre.jpg

Edited by Kano, 10 January 2019 - 03:39 PM.

Peugeot 205 XS : 1995 to 2002

Toyota Celica: 2002 to 2007

Nissan 350z : 2007 to 2017

Nissan 370z : 2017 - 

Ford Ka : 2017 -