8 replies to this topic

#1 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

I'm still on the way home from Manchester/Leeds at the moment.

At the Junction 32 area of the M62 there was a very fine looking yellow 370Z quietly parked up minding its own business. A few moments later I passed a white Mk1 Nismo going the other way (Westbound) on the 62.

A few moments after that a white GT-R went by.

However, I'm afraid to say they were all given the kicking of a lifetime in the old-school cool stakes by the Lotus Carlton I saw driving out of Leeds. My knees went to jelly, my heart nearly leapt out of my chest, and I felt all giddy, that I had nothing left emotionally for the Zeds etc.
  • dj370zNismo and Gav C like this
2007 350Z - Who needs Blue Planet when you've got a Blue Zed?
2004 Yaris 1.3 - Or a "Blue" Yaris? That still delights after four short years.

#2 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,665 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

I know of someone with a Lotus Carlton and I think they are from around that way. By all accounts he's joint owned it from new and it's in showroom condition.

It might be a different one of course.
  • A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#3 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:10 PM

It was G-reg, and did look to be in terrific condition in the thirty seconds-ish I saw it.

Although there was quite a bit of rain and spray around, and my first thought was: "if you were mine, you wouldn't be out today . . . you'd be in a nice, dry garage catching your breath after having been thoroughly spanked in the sunshine last weekend".  :drive1 

#4 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

I`ve never seen a Lotus Carlton in Leeds, one that has passed me by.

I used to be in the Autobahnstormers club when I had my Carlton GSi and Senator so I have seen plenty at club meets. The nearest one I knew of was in Manchester, and he still has it.

There is one that keeps popping up at silly money on Autotrader, mint, very low mileage but expensive.

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#5 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 9,878 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

When I had a Vectra Supertouring I used to see loads of them in my dealer in St Ives (Now gone a long time ago).  They were something to behold.  Do you remember when they wanted to Ban them.....

Give ot take the 0-60 time is about the same as a 370z - shows how things have moved on. 

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#6 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

Or not, in some respects.

Nowadays I'm not a big fan of putting a big engine and/or getting big power out of something generally mundane, but back then it seemed cooler. Probably as they were rarer, and tended to attract the better drivers more.

I do remember the push for a ban too . . . :lol:

#7 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

I`ve never seen a Lotus Carlton in Leeds, one that has passed me by.
I used to be in the Autobahnstormers club when I had my Carlton GSi and Senator so I have seen plenty at club meets. The nearest one I knew of was in Manchester, and he still has it.

There is one that keeps popping up at silly money on Autotrader, mint, very low mileage but expensive.

Yes, I was surprised to see it. It was the right age, the right colour, had the right wheels and the right stance. Even before the badges confirmed it I was beginning to drool.

When I was at secondary school a neighbour used to have a Senator, and I really liked that too.

If I see the Carlton again, I will be very tempted to give the owner my number in case they ever feel like selling.
  • Gav C likes this

#8 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

Yes, I was surprised to see it. It was the right age, the right colour, had the right wheels and the right stance. Even before the badges confirmed it I was beginning to drool.

When I was at secondary school a neighbour used to have a Senator, and I really liked that too.

If I see the Carlton again, I will be very tempted to give the owner my number in case they ever feel like selling.

It could have been a replica, I know of a couple of very good replicas that you wouldn`t be able to tell apart from a real one without a close inspection.

I really like them and they have a real presence on the road, but if you do ever fancy buying one buy with caution as they can rot badly behind the plastic wheel arch extensions and a proper refurb could easily eat up 5-10k.

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#9 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

I'd probably like a convincing, but very cheap, replica just as much. Anyone getting too close at a show would receive a hearty slap. :lol:

Although I certainly wouldn't buy either without getting my hands and knees - or better still a real expert's - very dirty. :)