10 replies to this topic

#1 Dino

Dino

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:41 PM

Just got back from monaco and the windscreen took a battering will need replacing.

just wondered on your thoughts for replacement

im presuming same as standard 370..autoglass route or gen nissan

i have a 100 excess on my general acc ins policy...

XR2 Mk1

XR2 Mk2

Yamaha RD 350 LC

Garelli Tiger

Voodoo Bantu

#2 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,217 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:59 PM

If you can have a Nissan dealer do it under your insurance/excess I would let them do it.  I seem to recall some good advice here a while back on something to look for - or make sure happens when its fitted.  I hope someone comes along and has a better memory than me about it. 

I didn't have to fit a windscreen on either the 350z or 370z so have no experience I am afraid.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System.

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#3 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,103 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:59 PM

The main thing to be careful about is making sure the bloke who fits your windscreen doesn't damage the 'A' pillar trim while he's doing it.

The trim is a single piece, all the way along the top of the doors and down the 'A' pillar. If it's removed properly (you have to take the 'B' pillar trim off first) you'll be okay - it's just a standard windscreen fit.

If your insurance company is agreeable, I'd go for it - but make sure you don't get the trim damaged in the process.

• Gav C likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#4 Dino

Dino

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:56 AM

thanks for the input lads,ill let you know how i get on 

• Gav C likes this

XR2 Mk1

XR2 Mk2

Yamaha RD 350 LC

Garelli Tiger

Voodoo Bantu

#5 oxfordlad

oxfordlad

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:14 AM

I had to get mine replaced, I went though Autoglass and have an after market one fitted with no issues though I did give him the instructions for the removal of the A pillar I believe they are on the forum somewhere Paul S might know.

I could of paid for the Nissan screen and then claim the money back but that seemed to be a faff and quite pricey at around £1600+.......

• Dino likes this

#6 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,715 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

Quite a few years ago I had my Z screen replaced by Autoglass and they used a compatible screen from Pilkington. It fits fine and there are no obvious problems BUT.... the antiglare dots in front of the rear view mirror are not symmetrically placed and the progressive sizing makes them look untidy. Not a big deal, no-one else notices, but it nags at me... (I've been waiting for another chip/crack to turn up so I can go back to a Nissan one but its probably been 10 years since the first replacement!)

On the GT-R I had a windscreen go fairly early in the MY09's life and I asked my Insurance company whether they'd cover the cost of a Nissan provided screen. At first they were concerned about delivery delay, but I assured them I was happy to wait for it so they then said yes, we will cover it (subject to the usual excess).

Since then I've had two more GT-R screen cracks (from stone impacts) and each time they've been happy to cover the cost of a Nissan sourced screen (I was fairly insistent!).

BTW, I gave up using Autoglass when they offered to fill a stone chip, turned up on the drive, and happened to mention the process involved heating the screen and that might crack the glass. Sure enough, started the process and instead of having a 2mm chip filled, a 6 inch long crack appeared and had to have a new screen. I wasn't happy...

I don't use Autoglass now, preferring to find a locally recommended shop, but you do have to go through quite a few hoops before the insurance company will agree to use them. And some independents wont do insurance jobs specifically because they don't pay enough money for the work.

• Chubbs and Dino like this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#7 Dino

Dino

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

i found this on another site  doeslook to be alot more involved than i thought..

ive booked autoglass for next tues so ive printed off these instructions and will go through them with the fitter so he fully understands the work involved,will keep u posted..............

http://www.service8....pillar-removal/

Edited by Dino, 04 June 2018 - 04:21 PM.

• Chubbs likes this

XR2 Mk1

XR2 Mk2

Yamaha RD 350 LC

Garelli Tiger

Voodoo Bantu

#8 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,103 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:40 PM

Don't be too worried. I had similar concerns some years ago, with a 350z. When the technician arrived he knew all about how to do it and he did a first class job.

• Dino likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#9 Dino

Dino

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

cheers chubbs

XR2 Mk1

XR2 Mk2

Yamaha RD 350 LC

Garelli Tiger

Voodoo Bantu

#10 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:16 AM

Slight thread hijack...

The blue clips on the windscreen/door trim, Im assuming you can pick up replacements from Nissan, if so does anyone have the part number?!?

Noticed the previous owner has managed to lose the clip at the very front so need/want to replace it.

#11 Dino

Dino

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:19 PM

ok lads,update......

Autoglass came today and fitted the new glass,didnt mind at all that id printed off the instructions

and said they were helpful in safe removal n refitting,best news was they turned up with the genuine nissan glass.

worst news,they put a 3" scratch on the cover that fits over the b pillar moulding,however he took pics and 

emailed to autoglass and hes says a new part will be ordered  and delivered when it arrives.

Overall a good experience and happily recommend them to anyone else on the forum.

Thanks once again for all your input.............

• Chubbs and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

XR2 Mk1

XR2 Mk2

Yamaha RD 350 LC

Garelli Tiger

Voodoo Bantu