22 replies to this topic

#1 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:01 AM

Having now had the car for a few days Im now going round addressing a number of small issues some of them may sound a little pedantic but thats just me. Anyway a couple of them are:

1. One of the calipers has a small chip.
2. All four calipers are missing the bleed valve covers.

Therefore the questions are:

1. Is there anywhere I can order the correct paint to touch up the chip on the caliper? Is this something I can get from Nissan? Want to sort it before any corrosion sets in.
2. I am assuming I can pick up some bleed valve covers from Nissan, if so does anyone know the part number?

Thanks in advance.

#2 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 9,968 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:04 AM

I have these - they are not the cheapest but had them for close to 4 years and no signs of wear.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They come from the US - so they take a few weeks and as I say they are not cheap.  The dealer should just be able to let you have a few as they often replace them in service - or Fleebay for really cheap ones.  However if you want Helix Racing - you have to pay Helix racing prices...  :lol:

I have a small chip on my Caliper - So will be interested in following the thread for more info on that one.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate)

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#3 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 15,911 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

As far as I know Nissan don't provide specific paint/codes for the brake calipers. Do I assume it's the red calipers?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#4 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

LESmo - thats what I need. Must be able to get them over here... Ill have a search.

Chubbs - yes red calipers. The chip bugs me!

#5 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,805 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

When I refurbished some calipers I used VHT spray paint, but I wasn't looking for a colour match. 

gallery_245_469_12569.jpg

Do you have the red or gray calipers?

As for bleed valve covers, I bought some for a few quid from eBay and 3 years later they are still 100%.  Don't forget you will need some for the inside valves too.

If you're interested, I have a complete set of calipers that I was planning to paint up and sell on.  Fancy a change?

caliper-group.jpg

anodized.jpg

You've a choice of logos too :)

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#6 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,805 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

These are the covers I bought - 10 for less than £3 delivered and you'll have 2 spare :)

$_61.JPG

#7 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:29 PM

Cheers Paul. Hadnt realised I would need more than four of the bleed valve covers.

As for calipers theyre red and in good condition apart form the chip... might a be a little premature of me to swap them out. Will keep that in mind though.
  • Paul_S likes this

#8 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 15,911 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

Why don't you just pop down to your local Halfords, buy a can of VHT paint, try it ....and let us know if it's the right colour :)

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#9 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,805 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:41 PM

Or if it's only a small area I would tempted to pop to Hobbycraft and try one of these.

590236_1018_1_800.jpg

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#10 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,805 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:42 PM

Why don't you just pop down to your local Halfords, buy a can of VHT paint, try it ....and let us know if it's the right colour :)

Have you just 'painted' the calipers in your sig mate, or have I only just noticed they're red too?! :blink:

• Chubbs likes this

#11 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 15,911 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:35 PM

Have you just 'painted' the calipers in your sig mate, or have I only just noticed they're red too?! :blink:

Lol. They're standard red calipers - always been like that. Can't remember what year they changed the colour from grey to red, but I'm glad they did. ...and you've only just noticed lol.

I currently have several unused colours for the calipers on my previous 370, just sitting in the garage, gradually exceeding their use-by date.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#12 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,805 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

Lol. They're standard red calipers - always been like that. Can't remember what year they changed the colour from grey to red, but I'm glad they did. ...and you've only just noticed lol.

I currently have several unused colours for the calipers on my previous 370, just sitting in the garage, gradually exceeding their use-by date.

I knew about the Nissan change, but suddenly the ones in your sig look really obvious! 

#13 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 15,911 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

I knew about the Nissan change, but suddenly the ones in your sig look really obvious! 

It's the way the sunlight catches them and makes them sparkle. :wub:

...nothing at all to do with subtle photochopping, to make the red stronger ahem.

• Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and Gav C like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#14 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:24 AM

Small update...

Popped to Halfords yesterday to see if they had any suitable red paint for the calipers. They didnt have any of that VHT paint so I picked up a can of Halfords own in red. Alas having tried the stuff its brighter than the original but given its only a small chip it will do for now.

In other news it was a weekend mixed emotions. While the car ran faultlessly over the weekend it did get some unwanted attention from people who seem incapable of driving. Had some biker gang being idiots, think they thought they owned the road with one of them constantly slowing down and then hooning it and another driving up my backside.

Also had a t**t in a van drive up my backside while I was doing just above the speed limit on a country only for him to overtake me on a roundabout... on the wrong side and then down the wrong side of the road... doing 60mph + through a 30mph. This point I should say Im no angel when it comes to driving but there is a time and a place for everything... and that certainly wasnt it.

Then of course I discovered a nail in my rear tyre. Given its position it should be repairable but annoying nonetheless. As a result though I checked the boot... I did when I bought the car but clearly wasnt paying that much attention as I appear to missing a tow hook and a jack (FFS).

And then finally discovered a number of poppers... as I call them on the wheel arches were missing... so will be replacing those.

So all in all a rather frustrating weekend.
  • Chubbs and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#15 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 15,911 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:01 AM

At this point I'd try Paul's suggestion - buy a small 14ml pot of Humbrol or Revell's enamel* paint (only cost about £2 off ebay), trying to choose a colour that will mix with your Halfords paint to give you the correct red.

...sorry to hear about your frustrations with morons over the weekend. The Highway Code recommends that if you're in situations like that you just slow right down. It's advice I try to remember, but sometimes forget!

*you'd have to get enamel paint, not acrylic, because you can't mix Halfords with acrylic (I'm assuming it's Halfords very high temperature enamel).

• Paul_S likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#16 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:10 PM

Yes thats probably what Ill end up doing, my neighbour can probably help as imagine he got some Humbrol paint. Although that would mean engaging in conversation!

As for the idiots on the road, yeah I usually do that and did do that where the latter was concerned. Although it did annoy the crap out of me.
  • Chubbs likes this

#17 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,805 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:44 PM

What a nightmare :(

Just to say, you should definitely have a tow hook in the boot but the car doesn't come with a jack.  It just comes with a small compressor and a can of glue.

• Cloudy likes this

#18 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 15,911 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

my neighbour can probably help as imagine he got some Humbrol paint. Although that would mean engaging in conversation!

hahaha - excellent!

It would take more than a pot of Humbrol to make me talk to my neighbour :)

Ask yourself what's best - forking out 2 quid or talking to him?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#19 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:02 PM

You have my sympathy on many fronts.

Like others have recommended, I'd get a little tin of Humbro red enamel paint for the calipers - I've got a tin of bronze for the 350Z's - because if you need to do it again you'll be all set up to do so.  If you have a Wilko or Boyes store nearby, they usually stock liitle tins of enamel paint for a good price so you don't have to enage with the neighbour nor wait for a delivery.

I know what you mean about idiot other drivers.  There's good advice given here too, which I'll try and follow too.  It always tends to happen to me not long after I've started out on a journey, and I tend to like to let any car warm up properly for a good few minutes.  I always hope that anyone like that has similarly not had their engine running for very long and they're giving it lots of cane, and hopefully causing lots of damage at the same time.

2007 350Z - Who needs Blue Planet when you've got a Blue Zed?
2004 Yaris 1.3 - Or a "Blue" Yaris? That still delights after four short years.

#20 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:21 AM

Noted all and thanks.

I can stomach my neighbour as he generally means well its just once he starts he doesnt know when to stop! Ill brave it and have the other half on standby to say I have a call.

Paul - thanks for confirming the contents of the boot. I couldnt remember if there was one in my previous 370z... thought I was going a little mad.

As for idiot drivers... Im just grateful I dont have to use the car for work! Although I do have to use the train.
  • Chubbs and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this