#1 CarlosFandango

CarlosFandango

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:14 PM

Hi,

I wonder if any one knows this 350Z, my Daughters fiancée is looking at trading his Astra in for a 350Z wants to spend up to £10K and he has spotted this one ..............

https://www.autotrad...onesearchad=New

What should we be looking for on a 350Z prior to any purchase?

Thanks

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#2 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

GT spec interior, with a Nismo wing added, but with base spec cast alloys (yuck). One of the very earliest examples. UK car, if the shape of the rear numberplate housing is to be believed. Aftermarket exhaust (is it a Cobra or Scorpion? If so it will be loud). 276hp. Changed gearknob & Alpine stereo added.

Would I buy it? The mileage seems incredibly low - it works out as 3,500 miles per year! No, I wouldn't buy it, mainly because it hasn't got the 18" forged Rays alloys, which are much better to look at.

You can get a 2008/2009 car for under £10,000 - one of the last made, with the lovely 313hp HR engine. I'd tell him to spend a little more and get a much better car. Here's an example...

https://www.autotrad...chad=New&page=1

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#3 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:03 PM

I'd agree with most of that, but I'd still have a look at it.

As you'll probably know, the three most important things to look at on any such Japanese car are service history, service history and service history. :lol:

In all seriousness, I'd get your Daughter's fiancée to ask the seller for a scan of the service book.  Ideally it should have 13 stamps in it, but I'll bet it hasn't (if it has, then great).  If it has ten or more, then it's definitely worth a look.  On the other hand, the fewer it has the more likely I would be to walk away.  I'd have a look at the MOT history on the check MOT gov.uk site to see if there are any big worries on there (I'll have a look tomorrow and comment, when I have a bit more time).

If he ends up going to see it, the first thing he should do is lift the bonnet and check the oil.  Warn him that it will probably take four or five attempts to get a decent reading.  Obviously the oil should be high on the dipstick (as near full as possible) and fairly clean looking, although if it hasn't had a service for ten or eleven months then I might forgive the oil looking a bit brown, but otherwise not worry too much. If it's low and/or black then he should walk away.  Then, is the rest of the engine bay fairly tidy looking, and well cared for (ie are all the fluids nearer the max than min levels).

He should then have a quick look underneath.  Now, it is getting on for a fourteen year old car, so t might not be immaculate, but any big patches of brown (ie rust) should be a worry and/or a way to chip the price a bit.  The W-brace could be looking past its best now - just in front of the rear wheels underneath.

The wheels look to be in good nick, even though they're not the Rays, which might be another way to chip a bit off the price.  It also looks like it ha a lot of swirl marks in the pictures.  That might bother some people, but it wouldn't worry me so much.  It's not a new car, and it least it looks like it's had a good few washes over the years.  The technique - and perhaps products used - may not have been very good, but in my opinion that is far better than a previous owner not washing it.

If you/he have any other questions, you know where we are. :)

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Better gearbox though.

#4 Daz JDM

Daz JDM

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:09 AM

Pre 2005/6 cars are a lot cheaper to tax, also don't be shy of looking at imports, the autos like mine are good to drive,  - I gave £4500 for a 04 soft top with a genuine 35000 mile last year, all paperwork, etc, this car was brought in by Nissan in London at 18mnth old for a 'special' customer - all paperwork to back it up.

I wanted an auto, it's a nice gearbox, better than the XF jag it replaced... but that's another story lol
shop around - plenty of really good ones out there

Attached Thumbnails

• s-l2009.jpg

• Chubbs and Paul_S like this

#5 CarlosFandango

CarlosFandango

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for that guys, I did mention paying a bit extra and maybe push himself over 10K to getting a 370Z but apparently the cost of the RFL and the insurance (He is 22) was somewhat steep to say the least.

ts going to be replacing his Astra GTC so it will be his daily a well, so it needs to be reliable on a day to day basis

We may go have a look see ......... but this will be the first we have looked at :D

• Chubbs and Daz JDM like this

#6 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:59 AM

The only version I'd steer clear of is the MY2006, 296hp, 'rev-up' engine version, because a few of them suddenly, and with no warning, burned all their engine oil, leading to a knackered engine. The earlier 276hp and the later 313hp engines are fine.

Daz makes a good point about the road tax - I hadn't thought of that - and also about the automatic versions being worth a look.

The more I think about it, the more expensive your one looks. I'm sure you could get one cheaper, or newer.

Also, it's failed its MOT several times (6 times, in fact) - https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/- More than once it's failed because of excessive exaust emissions, so I wonder if that particular aftermarket exhaust may be an issue.

• Paul_S and Daz JDM like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#7 Daz JDM

Daz JDM

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

it's definitely a buyers market at the moment for grand tourers, as soon as fuel costs start to rise it amazes me how many people sell up.

• Chubbs likes this

#8 CarlosFandango

CarlosFandango

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

Ooooooh the MOT history doesn't look too good, perished or perishing bushes, rusty hoses etc

Think we will give this one a miss

But still on the look out at the moment

Yes the cheaper road tax is an advantage but when you are thinking of spending 10k on this type of car then a few hundred quid on road tax is neither here nor there.

Thanks guys B)

• Chubbs and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#9 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:33 PM

No worries.  There should be plenty within a reasonable distance, and I found a large part of the fun is the search.

He shouldn't worry about rusty brake hoses too much.  I've reached the point where I'm suspicious if a >10 year old Japanese car doesn't have the odd rusty brake pipe.  It's rare that owners like getting on their hands and knees with a wire brush and grease.

I definitely agree with your point about road tax.  The one benefit with most of the post 22nd March 2006 registered Zeds is they come with a bit more power, and what you save on road tax many owners more than spend trying to get that bit of extra power.  So it's swings and roundabouts.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Better gearbox though.

#10 CarlosFandango

CarlosFandango

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

Well after telling him to shop around for insurance.

He can get sensible insurance on a 370Z so the goal posts may have moved slightly :rolleyes:

So he might stretch the budget slightly to get a newer "Z"

• Chubbs likes this

#11 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:28 PM

Well after telling him to shop around for insurance.

He can get sensible insurance on a 370Z so the goal posts may have moved slightly :rolleyes:

So he might stretch the budget slightly to get a newer "Z"

I like this. The 2010+ cars with the Connect Premium audio/satnav are the ones to go for.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#12 DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Zedlister

• Trader
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for that guys, I did mention paying a bit extra and maybe push himself over 10K to getting a 370Z but apparently the cost of the RFL and the insurance (He is 22) was somewhat steep to say the least.

ts going to be replacing his Astra GTC so it will be his daily a well, so it needs to be reliable on a day to day basis

We may go have a look see ......... but this will be the first we have looked at :D

Hi,

If he needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

#13 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:17 PM

Hi,

If he needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Hmmmm :fool:

I dropped Adrian Flux a line and sadly they couldn't get anywhere near the renewal quote of my current insurer, LV. Of course, it may be different for other people.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#14 CarlosFandango

CarlosFandango

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Chubbs, my thoughts exactly

The hunt is on B)