9 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,805 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:03 PM

As you may know, I have been playing with in car PCs and Android tablets for quite a while now.  They've never quite worked out for me because the final integration with the car wasn't quite there.

Head units seemed to have caught up with what I was trying to achieve recently so I decided to invest in a cheap-ish Android one and I fitted it last weekend.  I'll go into detail about the ins and outs / pros and cons of the unit and how I fit it, but for now here are a few pics in the mean time:

gallery_245_412_171958.jpg

gallery_245_412_410214.jpg

gallery_245_412_353846.jpg

gallery_245_412_59853.jpg

gallery_245_412_423600.jpg

gallery_245_412_744805.jpg

It has a 10.1" screen and I think these pictures make it look more 'stuck on' than it does when you're actually in the car.  

I've removed the original head unit but I need to keep the old face plate for a while because I still need the A/C controls.  That will hopefully change at some point.  It's early days and still in the 'proof of concept' stage.

There are quite a few things I need to iron out, but so far, pretty good.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings and moonshine like this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#2 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:31 AM

Looks no worse than the Mercedes mate. Those screens look like an after thought.

I think is be quit happy to switch to an android dash, especially if you can Luton everything out.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
  • Paul_S likes this
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Stillen SC  with 9lb pulley, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines.
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#3 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,805 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

Yeah, I've always disliked the look of the Merc ones :lol:

This is a test fit so far and I do plan to pretty-up the install (hiding the GPS antenna, blanking off the old radio controls if I end up keeping the current A/C ones, etc.)  I was planning to fit the screen into the cowl around it and retrim the whole thing because it just about fits between the air vents.

One of the reasons it looks so stuck on is because the way the cowl is shaped.  The screen is pretty snug at the top and bottom but the dash bends away at the edges.  The screen is mounted on a swivel so it's actually quite nice because you can point it up or down or angle it toward the driver so I might end up keeping that feature.

#4 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,321 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

looking good Paul  :thumbs:

If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

#5 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

A nice easy mod then...!  :P

#6 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,805 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:10 PM

Haha!  Yeah, not too bad.

I bought an antenna adaptor and ISO loom to connect the head unit to the existing amp and speakers.  The ISO cable needed a little mod so it would wake up the amp, and I did a few other tweaks to wire in the steering wheel controls and illumination signal.

Other than that, there was just a little metalwork to hold the unit in place and I opted to cut the bezel around the old Nav screen to keep the dash tidy.  Like I say, I want to make it look more integrated but it's not too bad as is.

#7 lolver

lolver

Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

Very interesting Paul. I would love to know more - it's the sort of mod I have wanted to do to my zed for some time. Will watch this space.

Laurence

#8 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,805 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:03 PM

Cheers mate.  I've been away so haven't even got into the car for nearly 2 weeks but I will try and iron out some of the bugs and then report back with the Pros and Cons of the particular unit I bought and some details on the installation.

• lolver likes this

#9 NoSlack913

NoSlack913

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:02 PM

Paul,

thanks for all of the work on this. I have a 2018 Nismo, so same dash/console configuration, and I would like to replace it all if possible with a tablet (turned horizontal), just need to get the stereo and a/c controls and control them from the screen.  I saw an youtube video where someone did this https://www.youtube....h?v=_13IPpjElL0 and as you can see he incorporated those controls.  if that isn't the plan (and it looks like it isnt') are you just ditching the giant controls for the screen and letting it all happen on screen?  which tablet did you pick? looks like one with a mount and back power (and input) 

thanks

#10 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 32,805 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:39 PM

Hi and welcome :)

That video shows a really neat setup!  The guy links to some source code which I will be taking a very hard look at! Thanks for posting up that vid :clap:

What has been achieved in that vid was my original goal when I used a tablet (I am using and off-the-shelf Android head unit now).  I also used an Arduino style device to read the steering wheel controls (see the vid below) but didn't get as far as even investigating how to write anything for Android.

My new head unit already reads the steering wheel controls but that doesn't mean I can't use the Arduino again and use that software to show the temp controls.

My car is actually a 2009 model with the system before Connect Premium and at the moment I have a video converter which does a (quite bad!) job at sending the video to the head unit.  It strobes a bit and the colours need tweaking!...

gallery_245_412_115616.jpg

The unit I am using right now is an Xtron TR100 which is good and bad.  I am not 100% sure if I would recommend it yet.  I need to see if I can iron out some bugs before I can do that.

I'm going to investigate the Arduino and Android code now...!