Posted Image

Photo

What Have You Done For Your 350Z Today? (2)

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,814 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:19 AM

It happens on the GT-R too but you can change the parameters in the settings.
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#22 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

When I get a moment I might have a play with the "Info" button, and see what I can find.  Or have a look through the sat nav manual.

Otherwise, I always thought the list of things that a/the Zed has that I could really live without was very short (and only comprised the electric seats), but it's grown.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Better gearbox though.

#23 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:32 PM

I know a Zed with a year and a bit's MOT.  I know it quite well. :D 

morecambeandwise2.jpg

It's funny how a four-letter word beginning with 'P' and ending 'double-ess' can bring so much pleasure and relief.  It must be an age thing . . .

• Chubbs likes this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Better gearbox though.

#24 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:12 PM

It's funny how a four-letter word beginning with 'P' and ending 'double-ess' can bring so much pleasure and relief.  It must be an age thing . . .

Enlarged prostate? Pop along to your GP if you're have trouble. He should be able to help.

Edit - congratulations on the MOT.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#25 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:03 PM

:lol:

Thank you.  I'll pass, again.  It's much more enjoyable.

#26 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,509 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:26 AM

Yes there are loads of parameters you can set including for things it would be impossible to monitor at least on the 370z.  On the 370z you can do it on the dash.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

sml_gallery_123_431_228285.png

#27 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:43 AM

...On the 370z you can do it on the dash.

Really? You learn something every day.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#28 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:10 AM

Very true!  Those going to the Workshop Day might get a few tips too . . . 

350Z owners will have to play with their "Info" button instead - some things never change - which is something I still have to do, although the warning notice has now been put out on mine . . .

#29 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

All clean again - those windscreen and headlight washers do make a mess - except for the wheels, but they can wait until after tomorrow's trip out.

I also had a quick play with the 'Info' button on the satnav.  It does take you to a menu for maintenance reminders, but, without further prodding or reading, it appears only to work on the basis of mileage - and there are four numbered reminders available too (which could almost make the white board I have in the garage redundant) - so it coming on exactly five weeks before the anniversary of last year's service a bit too much of a coincidence.  The garage also sent me a reminder letter, but my phone call to the garage beat both it and the Zed's reminder by a few days . . .

One other thing that's come to mind is how weird it was hearing the Zed start up from the outside - as they hadn't quite finished servicing it when I returned yesterday - and how good too.  Or rather how pleasingly fruity.  I could almost be tempted to let others start it or drive it.  Almost . . .

• Chubbs likes this

#30 Ste_ac

Ste_ac

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:32 PM

All clean again - those windscreen and headlight washers do make a mess - except for the wheels, but they can wait until after tomorrow's trip out.

I also had a quick play with the 'Info' button on the satnav.  It does take you to a menu for maintenance reminders, but, without further prodding or reading, it appears only to work on the basis of mileage - and there are four numbered reminders available too (which could almost make the white board I have in the garage redundant) - so it coming on exactly five weeks before the anniversary of last year's service a bit too much of a coincidence.  The garage also sent me a reminder letter, but my phone call to the garage beat both it and the Zed's reminder by a few days . . .

One other thing that's come to mind is how weird it was hearing the Zed start up from the outside - as they hadn't quite finished servicing it when I returned yesterday - and how good too.  Or rather how pleasingly fruity.  I could almost be tempted to let others start it or drive it.  Almost . . .

I remember playing around with the maintenance reminders a while ago and I set the 1st one for when a P1 service was due, the 2nd P2 and 3rd P3. Then the 4th setting for the 8000 mile restriction from my insurance company.

Then there are the reminders on the little screen to the left of the rev counter. I think these are more specific like oil reminder. I suppose you could set them if you like to do an oil service inbetween the main service intervals.
  • Chubbs and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#31 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:54 PM

I remember playing around with the maintenance reminders a while ago and I set the 1st one for when a P1 service was due, the 2nd P2 and 3rd P3. Then the 4th setting for the 8000 mile restriction from my insurance company.
Then there are the reminders on the little screen to the left of the rev counter. I think these are more specific like oil reminder. I suppose you could set them if you like to do an oil service inbetween the main service intervals.

Thanks, that's not a bad idea. If I get a moment and the inclination I might have another play.

The only real issue is that those are all the things I either know off the top of my head or I can find out more thoroughly very easily elsewhere if I can't remember the exact detail. And the white board in the garage doesn't surprise me by going "bong" out of the blue. ;) :lol:

#32 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:08 PM

Two observations today:  firstly, it's not big or clever to rev a Zed fairly hard in first gear; but, secondly, it does make a very very good noise when you do so, and the eyes (plural) of blondes in SUVs really do follow you as you go the other way.

• LESmo likes this

#33 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:18 PM

No surprises really, but since the midweek service (and MOT) the Zed has been behaving itself very well.  The brakes had a few good tests today on a long-ish round trip, and even though they didn't receive any attention during the week they stood up very well.  The gearshift is mostly agreeable.  And, most unusually, since the service the Bose hasn't played up at all.  The only explanation I can give is that mostly CD1 has been a CD I bought a week ago, and it was only released two days before that.  I wonder if instead of cleaning the CD player I need to clean the CDs instead.  Other than a very occasional bit of light dusting I'm not keen on CD cleaning, mainly due to the horror stories ten or fifteen years, but I might put my best glass duster into some greater gentle action.

The Zed also had its wheels cleaned this evening, and a bit of light dusting of the paintwork that received another monthly coat of wax yesterday.

IMG_20180902_194213.jpg

The Zed obviously isn't as big a fan of wasps as I've become this year, as I found this near the passenger's door hinge.

IMG_20180902_195053.jpg

#34 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 September 2018 - 06:23 AM

It was thought that a trigger for the Bose playing up used to be the onset of colder weather, so maybe it's not been cold enough lately? 

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#35 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 12:07 PM

Looking very clean Michael!  You certainly put me to shame with the amount of attention you give your Z.  I need a another couple of hours in the day (every day)... 

#36 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:21 PM

It was thought that a trigger for the Bose playing up used to be the onset of colder weather, so maybe it's not been cold enough lately? 

That was always my understanding too, but I've had it sticking on warm-ish days recently too.  I always suspected that humidity played its part in conjunction with temperature, but maybe the age of the CD contributes too.  Although continually having to buy new is not really a solution nor a saving grace for it.  That's why I'm hoping it's triggered by dust, at least partly.

• Chubbs likes this

#37 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:39 AM

Come to think of it, I believe the original owner's manual used to say 'don't use home-made CD's' (because they were thicker?) - but in my experience it made no difference. Your 'dusty/damaged CD' theory may be correct, but personally I still feel it's a feature of the system :)

I've always believed it was to do with the mechanics that move the laser and maybe lube (or a lack of it).

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#38 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:40 PM

Come to think of it, I believe the original owner's manual used to say 'don't use home-made CD's' (because they were thicker?) - but in my experience it made no difference. Your 'dusty/damaged CD' theory may be correct, but personally I still feel it's a feature of the system :)

I've always believed it was to do with the mechanics that move the laser and maybe lube (or a lack of it).

The difference with home made CD`s to retail CD`s is that retail CD`s are pressed as opposed the information being `burned` on.

Unless the CD player is compatible with CD R discs you should never use them as the laser will eventually fail as it isn`t configured to read the information from a burned disc.

I always thought CD R discs were thinner than retail CD`s too not the other way round.

• Chubbs likes this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#39 MaDMaXX

MaDMaXX

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 953 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:06 AM

Thickness depends on the manufacturer and specs they asked for.

As for the issue at hand, mine always had startup issues when the weather started getting cold and damp after a long hot summer, including retail CD's.

• Chubbs likes this

#40 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,511 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:28 AM

Back in the day when I had a 2x speed CD burner plugged into the parallel port of my laptop the blank discs were as thick as dinner plates. Now they don't seem to be any different in size to the pressed ones.
  • Chubbs likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY