Posted Image

Photo

What Have You Done For Your 350Z Today? (2)

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:19 PM

In short the manual says: don't use CD-Rs or CD-RWs; and, if it's cool and slightly damp and it plays up, stop it and dehumidify it (literally!).

I know you got three points (and now six points) for using a phone at the wheel, but I'd imagine wrestling with a dehumidifier is even worse - and borderline impossible to get into the slot - and I wouldn't fancy trying it on the move . . .

• Chubbs, Paul_S and MaDMaXX like this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Better gearbox though.

#42 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

In short the manual says: don't use CD-Rs or CD-RWs; and, if it's cool and slightly damp and it plays up, stop it and dehumidify it (literally!).

I know you got three points (and now six points) for using a phone at the wheel, but I'd imagine wrestling with a dehumidifier is even worse - and borderline impossible to get into the slot - and I wouldn't fancy trying it on the move . . .

That's really interesting. To the best of my memory, the earlier owners' manuals didn't include the 'dehumidify' bit. Presumably, good old Nissan thought the best way to solve the problem was to make it an official feature of the system, via a phrase in the manual.

Presumably it's down to condensation on either the laser lens, on the CD itself, or somewhere else in the system? I wonder what would be the best way to dehumidify the CD slot, while on the move. It must be worth a try.

I wonder if this item would help 'dehumidify', if you connected a short length of tubing to it and shoved it into the CD slot? - https://www.amazon.c...4J4G6XRRRV92D60

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#43 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,511 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:47 AM

You need a proper mod to hack into the head unit and direct a little of the airflow into it.  Michael - get your Dremel out!

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#44 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:50 AM

I'm not at home until late tomorrow, but I'll quote the relevant bits verbatim - although there's not much more to add to my above summary.  I think damaged/dusty CDs get a mention too as something to be avoided, but basically there's a whole page of dos and don'ts.

The way I've always understood it (and read it) is that it's mainly condensation on the lens.  If you had a hairdryer that plugged into the 12V socket - or something like that little dust blower - that might do it.  But what a faff, eh?  I think the accepted, and tried and tested, method of just waiting is probably the best unless you're stationary and/or at home.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Better gearbox though.

#45 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,293 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:02 AM

...I think the accepted, and tried and tested, method of just waiting is probably the best unless you're stationary and/or at home.

My problem with that solution used to be that most of my journeys would be local - 15 or 20 minutes, so by the time I'd waited for the CD to stop skipping, my journey would be nearly over. Really annoying - I feel for you.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#46 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,511 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:18 AM

How about if you pop a CD into the toaster then put in the player whilst it's nice and hot to evaporate the condensation?

It's a plan that can't fail!!

• Chubbs and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#47 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,814 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

The microwave would be more entertaining...
  • Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#48 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 01:57 PM

...I think the accepted, and tried and tested, method of just waiting is probably the best unless you're stationary and/or at home.

My problem with that solution used to be that most of my journeys would be local - 15 or 20 minutes, so by the time I'd waited for the CD to stop skipping, my journey would be nearly over. Really annoying - I feel for you.

Thanks. It's not so bad for me as most of my journeys are 25 minutes-plus, so I tend to give it ten minutes to warm up while I listen to the engine and keep an ear out for any odd sounds. Either that or just accept that the first song or two are going to sound like they've been remixed by Norman Collier.

And save the microwave for pot noodles and the toaster for, erm, toast.
  • Chubbs, Paul_S and Gav C like this

#49 Daz JDM

Daz JDM

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:17 AM

Sorned the summer toy - sleep well, for it will soon be spring :lol:

• Chubbs, LESmo, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 1 other like this

#50 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:57 PM

Without wishing to wish our lives away, hopefully it will.

Mine will be getting similar treatment later this month.  I'm just hoping for a few more dry adventures before then.  Purely to save me having to give it a full heat cycle on the drive, of course. :D

• Daz JDM likes this

#51 Daz JDM

Daz JDM

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:17 AM

Without wishing to wish our lives away, hopefully it will.

Mine will be getting similar treatment later this month.  I'm just hoping for a few more dry adventures before then.  Purely to save me having to give it a full heat cycle on the drive, of course. :D

Mine got a 100 mile steady drive on sunday, then a check over, topped up petrol tank and then parked up :-(

I never wash it before putting away as you can never completely dry it completely so she went to bed nice n warm lol

Edited by Daz JDM, 02 October 2018 - 07:19 AM.

#52 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:51 PM

Mine got a 100 mile steady drive on sunday, then a check over, topped up petrol tank and then parked up :-(
I never wash it before putting away as you can never completely dry it completely so she went to bed nice n warm lol

Contrary to a lot of advice, neither do I. I don't know why some commentators (at least appear to) suggest washing a car before putting it away for a few months. I can't think of anything worse. Give it a decent wash a few weeks and a few good, dry runs before putting it away definitely - like you say - but not giving the damp a head start.
  • Daz JDM likes this

#53 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:59 PM

Exhibit two in my claim that looking after your gearbox in day-to-day use pays dividends appeared today. I've just had a trip out in the Zed, and no graunching took place and there was nothing that suggested an obstinate dislike for any gear either. Great.

The Yaris was similar for the first year to eighteen months. Sometimes changing into or out of second gear could be a bit sticky, but with patience and persistence we got over it. It seems the Zed has been taking the same relationship lessons. Hopefully . . . :lol:

#54 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:05 PM

Without wishing to challenge some more knowledgeable members most garages are not air tight would the draught not remove any moisture from a wet car over a short while

#55 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:43 PM

It might, but ambient air isn't always particularly dry to start with - and sod's law is that you'll put it away wet and it will then rain for two weeks' solid. 

You are right that air movement is probably the most important and best thing to have in your garage, but  I'd much rather start with a dry-ish car and keep it dry-ish (with a bit of help from a fan and a dehumidifier) rather than have to struggle and wait to dry it out to begin with. 

• milanored and Daz JDM like this

#56 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,511 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:10 AM

I would rather put one away clean because I would kick myself it I damaged the paint by walking past too close and dragged dirt along it.  That said, I would rather it stayed rust free too!

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings and Daz JDM like this

#57 Daz JDM

Daz JDM

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:23 AM

ooooh she's not dirty lol, just a little used ;)  :lol:  :P

• Chubbs, Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#58 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:13 AM

I would rather put one away clean because I would kick myself it I damaged the paint by walking past too close and dragged dirt along it.  (. . .)

In those circumstances I might have suggested Slimming World. But knowing you you'd probably disappear. ;) :lol:
  • Paul_S likes this

#59 Daz JDM

Daz JDM

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:32 PM

oh slimming world..... well having my summer toys to drive n ride I have neglected my fitness this year, so with them in slumber now, got 6 mnths of mountain biking to try n regain some lol :lol:  :lol:

• Paul_S likes this

#60 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,511 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:08 PM

In those circumstances I might have suggested Slimming World. But knowing you you'd probably disappear. ;) :lol:

:lol:  But have you seen how narrow my garage is?!