Posted Image

Photo

What Have You Done For Your 350Z Today? (2)

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#81 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,641 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:29 PM

Nice!

*Waits for Les to pounce*

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#82 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:02 PM

This morning I clayed the front end, and one or two other small areas, of the Zed.  I barely got anything off, which surprised me a bit as I was anticipating a bit of dead insect residue and/or a bit of tar or smoke to have become ingrained into the front end, but it turned out not to be the case.  I also came to the conclusion that I hate claying and life is too short for claying, but I really dislike Bilt Hamber clay.  It's supposed to be great, but you have to absolutely soak the area with lube and it still wants to stick and drag and feels too soft, until you try to reform it when it becomes only slightly less malleable than granite.  (And I was in a good mood today . . .)

There were a few areas that wanted/needed a bit of touch-up paint at the front (unsurprisingly) and along the driver's side (especially the front of the rear wing, strangely enough), and they received the same.  More of the paint ended up on my fingers, which really cheered me up, but what is it they say about cars looking like their owners?  Or is it dogs?

Finally, other than a little bit of tidying up inside and a quick check of the oil and water, I re-introduced the Zed to the trickle charger.  They haven't seen each other since the end of May, which has been a source of great delight as it's meant the Zed has had plenty of use since then, but the little gauge attached to the quick connector on the battery was suggesting that after eight days off the road and in cooler temperatures a top-up might not be a bad idea.  This may be the state of things for some time to come - ho hum.

IMG_20181103_115956.jpg

• Paul_S likes this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#83 nacnud

nacnud

International Zedlister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:38 PM

You have done rewarding work today
I usually do the same clean up before the winter begins, and i never use the z'ds between october & April!
I recently mentioned that i have recently bought a used 2006 model which was used all year round 11 year of its 12 year life, and i can assure you that the nissan black paint on the suspension is not up to this! The last owner "10 years" assured me that the car had been well treated, and was always kept in a heated garage when not in use, but judging by the rust on the suspension, this didn't help one bit!
I would also recomend jacking the car to keep the tyres round during this hybernation period!
Keep up the good work!
6c9917a2f0b358c0d590427d14939c68.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
  • Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this
John D. B) 

#84 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,641 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:02 PM

Yes, it's no better on the 370Z.  Chubbs painted his W brace during the Members Workshop Day.  Mine wasn't worth bothering with.  I hope to replace it soon.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#85 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:07 PM

You have done rewarding work today
I usually do the same clean up before the winter begins, and i never use the z'ds between october & April!
I recently mentioned that i have recently bought a used 2006 model which was used all year round 11 year of its 12 year life, and i can assure you that the nissan black paint on the suspension is not up to this! The last owner "10 years" assured me that the car had been well treated, and was always kept in a heated garage when not in use, but judging by the rust on the suspension, this didn't help one bit!
I would also recomend jacking the car to keep the tyres round during this hybernation period!
Keep up the good work!
6c9917a2f0b358c0d590427d14939c68.jpg

Well done getting that off.  Mine didn't look quite so bad when I retouched it earlier this year - it would have been 11 years (and circa 46,000 miles) old at that point - but it wasn't far off, and I didn't fancy going near the bolts without jacking it up much higher than I was prepared to.  How hard was yours to get off?  The heated garage probably helped a bit, but if it wasn't a dry heat it wouldn't help a great deal.  And it won't affect when and how it was driven.

I'm not keen on jacking a car up for long periods, but I take the point as it is an option.  I'd rather over-inflate the tyres, and roll it out of the garage from time to time.  I also like to run the engine for half an hour once a month or so - coming from Toyotas, that have fuel pumps that don't like to be left idle for more than a month, that is ingrained in me now - and it also allows me to give the aircon a run too. :)

I also meant to say that I gave my dehumidifier its monthly dust and clean this morning - it was a very rewarding morning - and moved it to the opposite corner of the garage, which is something I do once every quarter or thereabouts. :thumbs:

• Paul_S likes this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#86 nacnud

nacnud

International Zedlister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:13 PM

I'll probably look into galvanising the W brace first before powder coating, like i did on my jag S-type subframe a couple of years ago! The one in the foto from the 350z is scrap, but i still have another low milage one for this projectc32eba122b4dcb07b528bfc8e1a1e914.jpgcde4686aacdcddb64e8943a12d0467d6.jpg2c36ff44f57fede6a00d486edc8979bd.jpg

• Chubbs, LESmo, Paul_S and 2 others like this
John D. B) 

#87 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,641 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:17 PM

WOW! :thumbs:

#88 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:34 PM

I'll second that: WOW! :thumbs:

You don't want to sell it, do you? ;) :lol:

#89 nacnud

nacnud

International Zedlister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:54 PM

Well it was a bit of a job getting some of the suspension bolts to budge, but when the car is up on the bridge it makes life much easier!
Another problem i discoverd when working on th rear suspension was the uneven disc wear!
the outer & inner thickness of the disc was not the same! I will post some fotos to-morrow!
I discoverd some corrosion under the stainless plates on the calipers, which pushed the plates up slightly making the pads stick on one side of the disc which resulted in uneven wear! The first 350's are getting on age wise, so these issues will be showing up more, especially on daily drivers. Will start a new thead soon showing progress with all ups & downs during this project!

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings and Jeff-W like this
John D. B) 

#90 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,653 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:51 AM

Mega job mate,  better job than the original.  I couldn't believe the state of my W Brace when I got the car in the air.  Definitely a weak point.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

sml_gallery_123_431_228285.png

#91 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:31 PM

Well it was a bit of a job getting some of the suspension bolts to budge, but when the car is up on the bridge it makes life much easier!
Another problem i discoverd when working on th rear suspension was the uneven disc wear!
the outer & inner thickness of the disc was not the same! I will post some fotos to-morrow!
I discoverd some corrosion under the stainless plates on the calipers, which pushed the plates up slightly making the pads stick on one side of the disc which resulted in uneven wear! The first 350's are getting on age wise, so these issues will be showing up more, especially on daily drivers. Will start a new thead soon showing progress with all ups & downs during this project!

Yes, please do. I'd really like to see all of that.

I know what you mean about the uneven wear on the discs, particularly the inner faces. The independent garage I've taken mine to for servicing and MOT testing over the last two years said they've all been like that for a while. Some are worse than others, but so long as the brakes still give good retardation - which thankfully mine did/do - the garage doesn't flag it up as an advisory on the MOT test certificate, although they do mention it on the invoice for the service.

It will be interesting to see yours though.

#92 nacnud

nacnud

International Zedlister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:13 PM

Insides are the most affected see fotos! I put them on the lathe and cleaned them up so you can get a better idea how they look!
I would never run them on my car and they go in the scrap bin!
You can see how the corrosion looks on the inside half of the caliper compared with the outside half (last foto)! This corrosion pushes the plate up and then the pads jam in the calipers, wearing the disc quicker on one side!
I'm not sure why it doesent do this on both inside & outside! Maybe have something to do with the backing plates?
It a bugger getting the stainless plate retaining screws out when the caliper is assembled, so i took them apart! I'll get them recoated anyway so it doesent matter!
Aluminium and stainless can and do corrode when put together. The two different metals set up a galvanic couple & add some moisture and we have bingo! My rear brake discs and calipers are in bad shape compairing them to the fronts! I think this is due to the spray from the front wheels! Probably also the reason that the rear end rusts so much!
26cc83a732798b6709352757b0d18f83.jpge4f4456d043976273d3c8b3dc4ecc20b.jpg5a970cf7d8d37329e76e6799ed276035.jpgfeb28097e7decafe937de6d187c0ea89.jpge0b716f55ae7f482587fa8e7ded30783.jpgbe639c29bc7a4495bda1094637e6988e.jpg

• Chubbs, Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this
John D. B) 

#93 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,641 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:00 PM

Interesting stuff.  It's very clear from your photo's that the wear is uneven.

I hope it's not too hard a fix.  But, I suppose, if it's not something you can resolve then what with the rears wearing slowly compared to the fronts it's not a major issue over all that time.  It must take years to get that bad.

#94 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:34 PM

I'll second what Paul_S has just said.  I do agree that the backing plates are probably the biggest cause.  Toyotas have the same, and suffer the same problem, but perhaps not quite so badly.  Although the wheels tend to be a bit smaller, and there might be a bit more airflow around the wheelarches due to the generally slightly higher ride height.

#95 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:08 PM

It's been very quiet on the Zed front recently - there's probably an irony there, but I digress - but it did have a half-hour run last week.  One minor issue has arisen, and a separate thread may appear as I'm in somewhat of a dilemma with it, but it's a very minor inconvenience rather than a major issue so I won't muddy this thread with it.

The running of the engine for half an hour was good though, and the dash and/or the engine mounts did creak a little - hopefully just with the heat and/or movement - when I really opened the taps towards the end of the spell.

Anyway, today I re-attached the trickle charger.  I was going to do it anyway as it had been disconnected for more than a week, and the indicator on the quick connector suggested it was a good idea today, although it only flashing amber rather than red after more than a week at present I took as a good sign of the battery's general health.  I also checked the (higher at the moment) tyre pressures, and wiped the little bit of brake dust off the leading faces of the spokes that they acquired from the couple of dabs the brake pedal received last week.

Roll on warmer, drier weather . . .

• Chubbs likes this

#96 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,415 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:19 AM

Do you disconnect the battery before putting it on the trickle charge? I've never been able to find a definitive answer to this question.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#97 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:21 AM

Do you disconnect the battery before putting it on the trickle charge? I've never been able to find a definitive answer to this question.

My trickle charger connections are permanently connected to the battery then go to a connector where you plug mains into so I couldn't disconnect battery first. Hope that make sense it is all sold by the charger people

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
  • Chubbs and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#98 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:38 PM

Yes, the battery remains in situ and all connected up to the car as per normal.  The quick connector for the charger attaches to the connections to the terminals, so when connecting or disconnecting it you're never touching the battery directly.  It's also the job of a few seconds just to pull the connector from the mains out, and away you go.

• Chubbs and milanored like this

#99 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:11 PM

Very minor today: the Zed received a can-full of V-Power, just to keep the level well above the three-quarter full mark.

As an aside, the Yaris received about half a tankful of the same.  I felt like I seemed to use the brake pedal marginally more than usual afterwards, so it might have had an effect. :lol:

• Paul_S likes this

#100 350doc

350doc

The Snowman

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:35 PM

Refurbished wheels!

Attached Thumbnails

• B7FF69DF-E519-43D6-AFAD-5F28C822762A.jpeg
  • 09E18356-241F-4AE3-A953-565BC24D7EED.jpeg

• Chubbs, Paul_S and Alex_C like this
RAYS, parking sensors, Tonneau Cover (StuartB), security glass, Alpine DVD satnav, Alpine digital television, DBA discs and Ferrodo pads, spare RAYS for winter, Michelin Pilot Sports for summer, Vredstein Wintrac Extremes for winter, Spill's Grounding Kit, LED rear brake lights, Carbon Fibre switch panel covers (Richard Chen), JL Audio 2 channel amp, Infinity Kappa 6.1 Perfect Speakers, Alpine reverse camera, Sony Ericsson Bluetooth phonekit with audio integration, CAT Driver Training, Nismo Exhaust. KW Variant 3.