38 replies to this topic

#1 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:30 AM

Well yesterday was the day I finally collected the car after 3 days in demand.  I had also a chance with Cazza to see the guys do their magic.  I had researched a lot to find a company who I would trust with my car.

I think I originally found Demand Engineering originally on Pistonheads.  I think one of their members had used them for a job and while I knew there are excellent systems on the market and many of the members on here had systems which are brilliant, I wanted something no one else has and would have again.  As they said last night they would never build the same exhaust twice and any number of components may force a change of say pipes.

I opted for a Cat Back system, with twin valves and remote control.  I will post some pictures form inside the engine bay where the control is later.

So I arrived on Tuesday morning first thing, to leave the car. Vicky who had guided me through the process from start to finish gave me a lift to the station to catch a train back to work, three days on public transport was a small price to pay for what I had been looking forward to for years,  They even have a Golf with a side exhaust setup, it was awesome.

med_gallery_123_529_6924214.jpg

Now demand are a small company, I once visited McLaren - its was amazing, but has no soul, this is a true engineering company, they bend metal, they weld things, they bring metal to life.  I will be honest I could have spent a week in there watching the work Jack and Dan did.

Yesterday was the collection - a few pictures of the car on the ramp when we arrived, they were carrying out the final fixings and plumbing in of the control systems.

gallery_123_529_3969882.jpg

gallery_123_529_5232488.jpg

The old Nismo system sat in a sorry state on the floor.  When I helped chuck it in the metal skip I could not believe how heavy it was - it took a lot to carry the main box and pipes with one hand.

gallery_123_529_6933783.jpg

There was still some welding going on.

And finally around 5:00pm it was ready to fire up for the first time:

The drive last night with it on loud cruising, it was not an issue, no noise in the cabin, but drop a cog and its obscene.  The stock quiet mode is slightly louder than the Nismo system and yet has a nicer sound.

The plus side was I (and actually Cazza in the Passenger seat) noticed it felt more powerful, the torque was much improved.  The system operates on a remote, open for Quiet and closed for Loud (it will take a little time to get used to that). 

Under the car it is a absolute work of art.

gallery_123_529_7112016.jpg

gallery_123_529_6394826.jpg

In this shot you will notice one of the two valves:

gallery_123_529_1609253.jpg

While custom is not the cheapest route, it does allow a absolute choice of what the car sounds like, and how the exhaust looks.  and finally the car sounds and looks perhaps as it should have done in the first place.  Such a grin factor.

• Chubbs, Gav C and ChasGFL like this

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System.

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#2 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,097 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:47 AM

Sounding good! :thumbs:

Don't feel obliged to answer this question, but how much did it cost?

• LESmo likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#3 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

Looks good. I will replace my standard exhaust and the short tails next year. Does remind me you did ask me to film my short tails... I did albeit on start up but never got round to messaging you - apologies.
  • LESmo likes this

#4 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:25 AM

Very very nice work and i am sure it will sound great. It will be a challenge to polish all of that but i am sure you have it covered
  • LESmo likes this

#5 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:31 AM

Sounding good! :thumbs:

Don't feel obliged to answer this question, but how much did it cost?

Its down to the spec really but the valves and three days labour -  around 3 times the cost of your lovely Zoorst…  give or take, but a lot cheaper than Armytrix

• Chubbs likes this

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System.

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#6 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:54 AM

Here are the bits changed in the Engine.

They have T-Pieced off one of the hoses to run the two valves

gallery_123_529_4230078.jpg

And the control box is placed next to one of the Relay boxes using spare power.

gallery_123_529_3666753.jpg

The hose comes along the underside hidden away near one of the brake lines up near the Air Filters.  Its bright blue - they ap;pologised for it not being Red :lol:

#7 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:26 AM

Ok Here is a start. 

In Quiet Mode - then Loud Mode and Back to Quiet.

The Alarm you hear is me setting of the Anti-Theft Alarm on my neighbours BMW Z3 in his Garage....   :rofl:  :whistle:  :sorry:

• Chubbs, Neutreus, Gav C and 1 other like this

#8 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,097 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:32 AM

I like the burbles & crackles in loud mode B)

• LESmo likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#9 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:44 AM

VERY nice!  B)  Looks and sounds awesome.  My work headphones not doing it justice at all.  I look forward to hearing it at the workshop day (not long to go now!).

Also, those guys at Demand must have some skills, they even flipped your car upside down for a bit to do some welding!

• Chubbs and LESmo like this

#10 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:18 PM

Also, those guys at Demand must have some skills, they even flipped your car upside down for a bit to do some welding!

Think it might be me being rubbish with my phone, or the forum software.  so lets blame my phone and me :lol:

• Dave G likes this

#11 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:24 PM

A few more gratuitous welding shots

gallery_123_529_5229312.jpg

gallery_123_529_2723914.jpg

gallery_123_529_245977.jpg

gallery_123_529_5072027.jpg

I also asked about care.  The solution WD40 to keep the exhaust in tip top looking shape. 

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#12 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:58 PM

You ought to rename this thread "Hot Metal", and not just in tribute to the great 1990s TV series.  That is a very handsome piece of exhaust work, and the plumbing/electrical work in the engine bay looks really good too.

The WD40 recommendation is very interesting too.  I spray it in crevices on bits of exhaust that I know aren't going to last forever - I actually sprayed a bit on the Yaris's exhaust after wire brushing a rusting joint, while I was cleaning up the rear arches and brake pipes last weekend, so hooray - but it wouldn't be first choice of product for a shiny, long-term item.  It wouldn't be my second choice either

• LESmo likes this
2007 350Z - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2004 Yaris 1.3 - It takes a little longer, but you'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.

#13 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:26 AM

Yes it was news to me, they said however that the metal polishes tend to scratch the stainless steel - so I will give it a go for a while and if it doesn't work switch, I do know what they mean though the Mini Exhaust while really bright does have light scratching.  They suggested somethign else, but I am yet to find it.  That said we always used WD40 on the Carbon wing on the Race cars to make them shine. 

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#14 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:25 AM

Nissie has been given the job of noise controller.

ced8e61648040e6c3a0fdb7d21b272cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and Cazza like this

#15 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:21 PM

Yes it was news to me, they said however that the metal polishes tend to scratch the stainless steel - so I will give it a go for a while and if it doesn't work switch, I do know what they mean though the Mini Exhaust while really bright does have light scratching.  They suggested somethign else, but I am yet to find it.  That said we always used WD40 on the Carbon wing on the Race cars to make them shine. 

The scratching fear is a fair point, but not something that a decent metal polish shouldn't overcome.  Either that or it's just an incentive to polish more.

I will be interested to see how you get on with the WD40, but I'd be slightly afraid of ill effects on the rubber hangers and also fumes or other ill effects when it gets hot.  As it's been recommended though, you might as well go for it.

2007 350Z - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2004 Yaris 1.3 - It takes a little longer, but you'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.

#16 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:48 PM

Sounds very good with the valves open.
  • LESmo likes this

#17 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,111 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:13 PM

Very impressive Les! :thumbs:

You are right to be very pleased with that!

Do the valves switch the exhaust flow through a different route or just allow the gases to escape at that point?

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#18 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:51 AM

Very impressive Les! :thumbs:

You are right to be very pleased with that!

Do the valves switch the exhaust flow through a different route or just allow the gases to escape at that point?

Yes - basically there are two pipes going into the box at the rear exiting the pipes.  One half of the box has silencing - the other half is empty and is sort of straight through - so the only silencing / damping at that stage is the Nissan Cats - which apparently do add a fair amount.  So the stock side is a little louder not much but is deeper because of the new resinators - the other side is loud, and cracks and pops.   Best of both worlds as a Daily car.  Morning I use quiet and night I use loud.

• Paul_S likes this

#19 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,111 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:58 PM

Yes - basically there are two pipes going into the box at the rear exiting the pipes.  One half of the box has silencing - the other half is empty and is sort of straight through - so the only silencing / damping at that stage is the Nissan Cats - which apparently do add a fair amount.  So the stock side is a little louder not much but is deeper because of the new resinators - the other side is loud, and cracks and pops.   Best of both worlds as a Daily car.  Morning I use quiet and night I use loud.

Ah, very smart!  I take it those are vacuum pipes used to activate the valves (with an electronic trigger) :)

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#20 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:31 AM

Yes exactly, they close automatically when the engine shuts off.  So it goes back to quiet as stock.  Although I can pre-select it before starting the car and as soon as its up to the right pressure (straight away really) its on the loud mode.

• Paul_S likes this