38 replies to this topic

#21 C8NNP

C8NNP

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:38 AM

Great stuff Les, hope you're loving the new noise!

#22 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:52 AM

Thanks Mate, just seen the other thread - what you thinking of buying.  Sure your hand will get snapped off with that Mileage and condition.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System.

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Check out our -  2014, 2015 & 2016 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#23 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:25 PM

I could not really get used to Open being closed and closed being open.

So I have bought this Soft Touch controller and cloned the remote for the Exhaust. Top two buttons now open it and bottom two close it and it’s
Much easier to understand. Plus it’s a nicer controller.

75815fbd62f995ed87e75968a6b41ce4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Paul_S likes this

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System.

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube - Drive Tribe

#24 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,111 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:48 PM

I know a good game - "borrow" Les's remote control and operate his exhaust valves next time we travel in convoy... :teeth:
  • LESmo, Dave G and Neutreus like this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#25 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:52 PM

Put it on loud throw remote away
  • LESmo and Neutreus like this

#26 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,097 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:33 PM

Now that you've got a new remote, I bet it's possible to dismantle the original remote and try swapping the buttons around, so they show the correct state of opening of the valve.

• LESmo likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#27 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:05 AM

I cannot see why that would not work.  I have another clone controller coming so I will have two of those and two of the originals. 

#28 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:03 PM

So, random thought but related...  Say you fitted a 'normal' aftermarket exhaust with a fixed flow path, this maybe with an intake kit is then ripe for a bit of custom mapping to make the most of the free flowing set up (UpRev/EcuTek for example).  With your variable exhaust Les, I wonder should you wish to have a remap, could the UpRev (or similar) utilise the multiple map capability such that you had a custom map for 'quiet' mode and an alternative custom map for 'noisy' mode???

The fact that you have to press a button to change exhaust modes means there's a logic signal available in the electronics somewhere, it would be awesome to tap off that to drive a map change.  :D  It would make an even greater difference to the experience.  Just putting this out there - food for thought for those that know custom mapping and its capabilities.

End of random thought.

• Chubbs, LESmo and Paul_S like this

#29 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:27 PM

It sounds sort of plausible, but the exhaust just runs a servo that opens a valve, so its not directly connected with the ECU. Plus, I have 3 maps on my car and only switch between EcuTek TC on and TC off.

• Paul_S likes this

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#30 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,111 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:27 PM

That would be really cool Dave!

As Robin says, it's possible but not something that can be done out of the box with different tuning systems.

It wouldn't be too hard to repurpose some existing buttons to operate it though - such as a long press on the 'back' button on the steering wheel to toggle between the 2 modes.

#31 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:17 PM

Indeed it sits completely outside the car systems - its really only taking power from the battery.  Indeed there is two ways to wire it - on the Ignition, which means it goes to quiet on switch off.  And how I have it - so I can leave it in the mode I set and I have to sleect it if I want to switch.  However, if you wanted to do cool stuff like over fueling causing flames I suspect the ECU would feature, as well as more pops and bangs I suspect.  I am sure it would be possible to do a much more slick setup - Armytryx I believe use a ODBII Sender and work on the revs.  But thats at Armytryx prices.

#32 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,111 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:35 PM

Indeed it sits completely outside the car systems - its really only taking power from the battery.  Indeed there is two ways to wire it - on the Ignition, which means it goes to quiet on switch off.  And how I have it - so I can leave it in the mode I set and I have to sleect it if I want to switch.  However, if you wanted to do cool stuff like over fueling causing flames I suspect the ECU would feature, as well as more pops and bangs I suspect.  I am sure it would be possible to do a much more slick setup - Armytryx I believe use a ODBII Sender and work on the revs.  But thats at Armytryx prices.

It would be relatively simple to open and close the valve based on OBD readings (be it revs, speed, rate of acceleration, water temp, etc.)  I would have thought you'd like to keep it a manual setting though.

If you do want to investigate other options then let me know :)

#33 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:23 AM

For those interested - this is what the Valve looks like when it open and closes on idle.

There is one on each side, which open and close at the same time.

• Paul_S and ChasGFL like this

#34 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,111 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

Very neat.  Will you need to keep that lubed or do you think that would just attract dirt?

#35 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:12 PM

I thought I would spray them with WD40 each month just to be on the safe side.  They are a bit out of the way, however they are a moving part, so I thought Lube  :lol:

• Paul_S likes this

#36 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,111 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:50 PM

LUBE!
  • LESmo likes this

#37 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,097 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:09 PM

I just remembered that Les demonstrated his exhaust at the workshop day yesterday.

What an amazing piece of kit, both to look at (the tips suit the V1 Nismo perfectly) and to hear - the sound is just right - awesome, as they say in America!

• LESmo and Paul_S like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#38 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

Cheers mate

#39 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,111 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:26 PM

I just remembered that Les demonstrated his exhaust at the workshop day yesterday.

What an amazing piece of kit, both to look at (the tips suit the V1 Nismo perfectly) and to hear - the sound is just right - awesome, as they say in America!

Abso-blinkin-lutely it's a unique and lovely thing, on a lovely car :)

• LESmo likes this