8 replies to this topic

#1 Buzzz

Buzzz

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 02:07 PM

Has anyone else had an irritating metallic squeak from behind the seats somewhere?

I traced it to the brace bar. When you shoved it from to side on the move it was possible to replicate the noise although there seemed to be no movement in the bar.

I pulled all the trim out and removed the aluminium bar, greased everything that could possibly squeak and tightened the bolts as much as I thought was reasonable. The squeak is better but on choppy roads I can still here it.

Think I will pull it off again and try the car on the road that makes it squeak without the bar and see if I can locate where the problem is. Other opinions welcome.

Thanks
Neil C

#2 ProfessorZ

ProfessorZ

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 02:14 PM

I've got the same problem.
It's coming from the rear, maybe even from the boot.
I've just put up with it but it is irritating.
It will be nice to know if you find a fix, perhaps it will work on mine aswell

Edited by ProfessorZ, 21 September 2018 - 02:16 PM.

• Buzzz likes this

#3 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,446 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 September 2018 - 03:51 PM

For me it was the boot.  I replaced my Boot Springs - there are two types the V1 Nismo uses a different part code as it has the weight of the wing.  Actually we meant to try it at the workshop day as I had a spare set of old ones to see if it makes any difference to a GT.

I also fitted some pads just near the boot catch which apart from major bumps got rid of it, I suspect your boot springs have lost their push.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

sml_gallery_123_431_228285.png

#4 Buzzz

Buzzz

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:57 PM

For me it was the boot.  I replaced my Boot Springs - there are two types the V1 Nismo uses a different part code as it has the weight of the wing.  Actually we meant to try it at the workshop day as I had a spare set of old ones to see if it makes any difference to a GT.

I also fitted some pads just near the boot catch which apart from major bumps got rid of it, I suspect your boot springs have lost their push.

Yes I played about with the boot. I did the coin trick, a 1p coin under the spring to increase the tension and the boot Pops much better. Don't think it's the cause of my squeak, it is definitely related to the brace bar in some way.
Neil C

#5 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:18 PM

Maybe remove the plastics and check the bolts are tight on the strut?

Also, if you have a 2009 car there is a DVD unit under the boot floor. There is just a chance that has worked lose.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#6 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,231 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:06 AM

I have a vague memory of putting some foam padding* somewhere in the brace bar area a long time ago. Can't even remember if it was a 370 or a 350. All I know is that it did the trick.

Not very helpful, am I?

*...it may even have been draught excluder tape, or something? ...or maybe just electrical tape lol

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#7 Buzzz

Buzzz

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 07:51 PM

Squeak finally nailed after only 3 months.

For the record...

Having greased door locks, boot catch and squirted wd40 on anything that moved inside and under car, squeak was still there, just over certain bumps. So I pulled out all the boot trim to get at the brace bar that I was convinced was source of problem. Did that three times finally driving car without the bar and squeak was the same. A bit frustrated by this time spent a few miles tapping and shaking things but unable to identify problem. I hate squeaks.
Then as luck would have it I noticed if I grabbed (wait for roll of drums) the seat belt buckle on driver's side - no squeak. This is the bit where the buckle bolts to the transmission tunnel by hand brake. On it's own it doesn't squeak at all, but driving over small bumps this is the source of the squeak. A couple of blasts with WD40 and no more squeak.
  • Chubbs, Paul_S and Gav C like this
Neil C

#8 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:02 PM

Well done mate!  True dedication!  :notworthy:

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!