4 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Syms

Mark Syms

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:44 AM

I have 54 plate, standard UK Spec, Gunmetal 350Z coupe with 95K miles which I have owned from new. Last week it overheated in traffic when the sensor controlling the electric cooling fans failed, this has caused a small hairline crack in the crankcase between the oil pressure sensor and the oil pressure relief blow off valve. It can’t be fixed in-situ, at least that’s what my garage is telling me, but the costs of pulling the engine to effect a repair (or replace the engine with a short block recon unit) are prohibitive to me being able to fix it. So, with a heavy heart, it’s time for me to say goodbye to it and walk away.

But, if someone could DIY it then it might be a workable project.

The car is, apart from a cat-back stainless exhaust, factory stock. It’s tidy and genuine but not pristine, there are some stone chips, the door skins have some light marks from other car doors, the nearside door mirror has some small, repaired, damage. The alloys have been refurbed but would need to be done again at some point.

I’d like to think it has some value, so make me an offer maybe? However I’d be happy if someone else could get enjoyment from a can that has brought me much enjoyment and many grin inducing drives over the years.

If you’re interested please reply to this message or DM me.

I think my garage will be OK to hold on to it for a week or so, possibly longer if someone is genuinely interested but beyond that I’ll have to let them dispose of it. Obviously it currently isn’t driveable so would need to be transported away.

#2 PaulW

PaulW

Committee Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

Hi Mark, when you say it's not drivable is that because it's losing to much oil or overheating or will it not start?

gallery_245_423_13930.png

#3 Mark Syms

Mark Syms

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

It's spewing oil.

However, having said that it wasn't possible to fix in-situ, my garage have now come back to me and said that they believe that they can weld the crack without removing the engine. So we're going to do that and hope that everything else is solved.

#4 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:18 AM

Fingers crossed for you mate.

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#5 PaulW

PaulW

Committee Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:04 AM

If it helps pulling the engine isn't that big a job, I've done it on my drive so in a garage with a ramp it would be less than two hours. The big job is changing the timing chain/ removing the heads. The timing chain is a work of art but getting everything timed and tensioned is a nightmare and the cam follower buckets all need to be set with feeler gauges so you actually end up doing it 3-4 times to get all the gaps right.

• Paul_S likes this

gallery_245_423_13930.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project, 350Z