#1 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,442 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:40 AM

From Car Throttle.

Nissan's design boss Alfonso Albaisa has dropped a few hints about the next-generation GT-R

R36 GT-R Will Be 'World’s Fastest Brick', Nissan Reckons

Nissan's design boss Alfonso Albaisa has dropped a few hints about the next-generation GT-R

81e280232af0378eb22fd89d33e04ca8.jpg

The next GT-R might take some styling influences from Nissan's Vision Gran Turismo concept

It’s been a little while since we had some news about the next-generation GT-R, hasn’t it? A few years ago there was talk of how the ‘R36’ might look like the outrageous Nissan Vision Gran Turismo concept (above) and the sort of power the car’s apparently hybrid powertrain could produce, but the rumours seemed to dry up a little.

Now though, we have a few juicy hints about the R35 successor via Nissan’s design chief Alfonso Albaisa. Speaking to Autocar, he said that hybridisation was likely, although seemed to suggest that it was very early days for the project.

“Whether we go to a lot of electrification or none at all, we can achieve a lot power-wise,” Albaisa said, adding, “But we are definitely making a new ‘platform’ and our goal is clear: GT-R has to be the quickest car of its kind. It has to ‘own’ the track. And it has to play the advanced technology game; but that doesn’t mean it has to be electric.”

2018-06-26-nissan-gt-r50-by-italdesign-e

It won’t derive its styling from the limited-run GT-R50 (above), but Albaisa did say that it would need to be “imposing and excessive” not through the use of wings, but through its “visual mass” and “audacity”.

He concluded: “It simply says: ‘I’m a GT-R, I’m a brick, catch me.’ It’s the world’s fastest brick.”

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

sml_gallery_123_431_228285.png

#2 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,226 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:14 AM

Brick? Did something get lost in the translation, or is it a typo? Any suggestions?

R36 Concept.jpg

• Paul_S likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#3 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,777 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:47 AM

I actually think it is quite an apt description. The R35's performance could hardly be described as nimble. It delivers performance through remarkable power, grip, and handling aids. But at nearly two tonnes (sorry, two tons!) it requires a lot of driver effort and precision to keep it moving fast.
It did have a reputation for making any driver look fast but I don't think many drivers could keep that pace up for long... Get it wrong and the result was often a huge high speed accident.
I'll be honest and say that as I age I can no longer drive as fast as it is capable of acheiving - my reactions are slowing down.
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#4 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,777 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

We didn't learn anything in Japan about an R36. I think its fair to say the big issue is probably power plant with many options under consideration. Indeed there are a lot of Nissan hybrid models in Japan which NMGB has chosen not to make available. Plus the auto gearbox choice.
What i formation I did glean and digest suggest there are another couple of years of the R35 yet, but during that time there wont be an radical changes from the MY17 changes. MY19 will almost certainly be a combination of futher emissions compliance and increased power with suspension tuning to avoid those being a performance penalty. And despite 2015 providing a 45th anniversary model, 2019 may well have a 50th edition - it all depends where you start counting!
  • Paul_S likes this
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress

#5 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,777 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:06 PM

P.s. The 2020 concept GT-R is stunning. Whether that could be the base for the R36 depends how much change would be required for it to be road legal.
All the above IMHO!
  • Paul_S likes this

#6 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,226 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

P.s. The 2020 concept GT-R is stunning. Whether that could be the base for the R36 depends how much change would be required for it to be road legal.
All the above IMHO!

All the above IMHO!

So, what do you think of the 2020 concept GT-R then?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#7 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,777 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:42 PM

So, what do you think of the 2020 concept GT-R then?

I'll have you know I spent about 20 minutes trying to Delete that second post using my mobile phone but the sheer number of Grockles in Torquay seem to have overwhelmed the data connection. Of course I could delete it now, but I wouldn't want to make your post seem peculiar....

BTW: We were told the GT50 car (as previously shown at Goodwood) deliberately contained elements from the 2020 Concept such as the rear light clusters.

• Chubbs likes this

#8 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,415 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:46 PM

Oh... I just deleted the duplicate post :blush:

John, what you say about the indecision with the propulsion and drive train sounds extremely familiar.  I'm sure it's the same with the 370Z.

It's so frustrating for all of us but I think Nissan have perhaps jumped too soon in deciding not to go with a hybrid "in between" option for the time being and gone straight for pure electric.  Sadly battery technology (and charging opportunities) have not quite cut the mustard just yet.

• Chubbs likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#9 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,226 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:26 PM

Oh... I just deleted the duplicate post :blush:

Don't worry - here it is...

All the above IMHO!

• JohnFK likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B