Vampirex

International Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:26 PM

Hello,
My 370Z is from December 2017 (manufactured in September 2017) and therefore to specs 2018.
She now has 2800km (it is true that here in France, at 80km / h, I do not go out very often), so I consider the running in as finished. I have always seen that in manual mode, there was a shot of gas when downshifting, but on mine, nothing at all. I had already noticed that around 15 / 2000km, but at Nissan they told me that it was probably due to the fact that the engine speed was too low.
I interviewed them again last week and they tell me that they will ask Nissan Europe, but it is possible that it is normal, because related to the last euro standard (euro VI, I think).
Would there be someone (a few) who would have a 2018 model run-in to tell me what's going on on his (theirs)?
Thank you.
Best regards.
Daniel.

#2 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,437 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:03 PM

Hi Daniel - so you've bought a new car then? :)

I know you can turn the SynchroRev off and on in the manual, but I think it's always on with the auto.

So I can't answer the question I'm afraid, but hopefully someone will be able to help soon.  If not then I will get in touch with Nissan for you and see if I can find out.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#3 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,238 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:13 PM

I have an automatic also - obviously the same engine & gearbox as yours. The main time I hear any obvious 'synchro-rev' type behaviour is on paddle shift downshifting, when I downshift from 3rd gear to 2nd at 2k revs, or maybe a bit higher. With my Invidia exhaust it's very obvious and a lovely sound. I must say it doesn't  happen if I'm slowing gently, ...only if I'm slowing rapidly.

If you're in full automatic mode you won't get any noticeable 'heel & toe' effect or sound - the downshift is almost unnoticeable. You must be using the flappy paddles to hear anything.

Does this help?

...mine is a 2016 year model, but it's essentially the same as yours.

Edit - I can also force a fairly good sound when downshifting form 4th to 3rd and from 2nd to 1st, but '3rd to 2nd' is by far the best.

• Paul_S likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#4 Vampirex

Vampirex

International Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:27 AM

Hi Daniel - so you've bought a new car then? :)

I know you can turn the SynchroRev off and on in the manual, but I think it's always on with the auto.

So I can't answer the question I'm afraid, but hopefully someone will be able to help soon.  If not then I will get in touch with Nissan for you and see if I can find out.

Hi Paul,

I change on last December as I wanted an automatic one. My new Z is now White.

It could be a real help to have the info from Nissan.

BR.

I have an automatic also - obviously the same engine & gearbox as yours. The main time I hear any obvious 'synchro-rev' type behaviour is on paddle shift downshifting, when I downshift from 3rd gear to 2nd at 2k revs, or maybe a bit higher. With my Invidia exhaust it's very obvious and a lovely sound. I must say it doesn't  happen if I'm slowing gently, ...only if I'm slowing rapidly.

If you're in full automatic mode you won't get any noticeable 'heel & toe' effect or sound - the downshift is almost unnoticeable. You must be using the flappy paddles to hear anything.

Does this help?

...mine is a 2016 year model, but it's essentially the same as yours.

Edit - I can also force a fairly good sound when downshifting form 4th to 3rd and from 2nd to 1st, but '3rd to 2nd' is by far the best.

Hi Chub,

I have some friends here in France with automatic gearbox and they have the same behaviour as yours, but it seems that since 2018 specs he 370Z is Euro 6 and it would be the reason it has been modified. Here it is virtually impossible to get any info from Nissan.Thank for the help.

BR.

Daniel.

• Chubbs likes this

#5 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,238 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:49 AM

Ahhhh - that's a real shame, Daniel. I voted Remain in the referendum to leave Europe, but if we get another vote I shall definitely vote Leave, on the basis that Brussels is stealing our lovely downshift sounds. Bloody politicians!

Move to England - after Brexit we'll all be as antisocial as possible over here, and that includes car noises.

...or swap your new car for a slightly earlier model and use the extra cash for a modification or two?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#6 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:26 AM

I'm not sure that the presumptions made here are correct, for the UK at least. 

New 370z AT on the Nissan.co.uk site states the following:-

SEVEN-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

The 370Z’s optional seven-speed automatic transmission gives you a wide spread of gearing and improved fuel efficiency. With a choice of selectable modes, you can tailor your driving experience as never before – and Downshift Rev Matching delivers rapid downshifts with a blip of the throttle, when you’re in manual mode.

Euro 6 engines would also apply here.

• Chubbs and Jeff-W like this

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#7 Vampirex

Vampirex

International Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:07 PM

Ahhhh - that's a real shame, Daniel. I voted Remain in the referendum to leave Europe, but if we get another vote I shall definitely vote Leave, on the basis that Brussels is stealing our lovely downshift sounds. Bloody politicians!

Move to England - after Brexit we'll all be as antisocial as possible over here, and that includes car noises.

...or swap your new car for a slightly earlier model and use the extra cash for a modification or two?

I would love to live in GB, but now I am too old to enter in this kind of adventure.

I'm not sure that the resumptions made here are correct, for the UK at least. 

New 370z AT on the Nissan.co.uk site states the following:-

SEVEN-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

The 370Z’s optional seven-speed automatic transmission gives you a wide spread of gearing and improved fuel efficiency. With a choice of selectable modes, you can tailor your driving experience as never before – and Downshift Rev Matching delivers rapid downshifts with a blip of the throttle, when you’re in manual mode.

Euro 6 engines would also apply here.

Thanks Blobbish, that is very interesting. I would be surprised if there were several versions in Europe.

BTW could you give me the URL of this info ?

#8 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:56 PM

I've had a look on both French and German Nissan sites and although the working is slightly different I cannot see why you would not have the Rev Matching

French

TRANSMISSION AUTOMATIQUE 7 RAPPORTS

Le Nissan 370Z Coupé est également disponible en boîte automatique à 7 rapports. Cette transmission intelligente est capable de tenir le rapport engagé en courbe pour maintenir l'équilibre de la voiture de sport, ou de rétrograder à l'approche d'un virage pour maximiser le frein moteur.

Translated roughly to

The Nissan 370Z Coupé is also available in a 7-speed automatic transmission. This intelligent transmission is able to keep the gear engaged in a curve to maintain the balance of the sports car, or to downshift at the approach of a turn to maximize the engine brake.

German

SIEBENGANG-AUTOMATIKGETRIEBE

Das optionale Siebengang-Automatikgetriebe des NISSAN 370Z ermöglicht eine breite Getriebeübersetzung und verbesserte Kraftstoffeffizienz. Mit einer Auswahl zweier Modi können Sie Ihr Fahrerlebnis besser denn je anpassen – und Downshift Rev Matching ermöglicht ein schnelles Herunterschalten im manuellen Modus.

Translated roughly to:

The optional seven-speed automatic transmission of the Nissan 370Z allows for wide transmission ratios and improved fuel efficiency. With a choice of two modes, you can make your driving experience better than ever - and Downshift Rev Matching allows you to quickly downshift in manual mode.

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400

#9 Vampirex

Vampirex

International Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

Strange, on the French site they don't mention "Downshift Rev Matching". Would it be a behaviour for each country in  Europe ?

#10 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:19 PM

Strange, on the French site they don't mention "Downshift Rev Matching". Would it be a behaviour for each country in  Europe ?

I'm not sure, but what is meant by 'downshift at the approach of a turn to maximize the engine brake'. If it were me I would phone a Nissan dealer in France  and pretend to be a 'New Customer' interested in the 370z 7A/T and ask the question of them. But as this is an option on the manual it cannot be due to the Euro 6 engine.

Also. Whether in Manual or drive if you press the downshift paddle ( in Drive you may need to do twice) it will blip. Are you able to get someone to record the rev counter so that we can see exactly what happens?

Place in 3th gear about 3.5k revs and then hit the downshift paddle. There should be no need to accelerate. In fact its quite noticeable when breaking and moving down the gears.

#11 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,238 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:39 PM

...If it were me I would phone a Nissan dealer in France  and pretend to be a 'New Customer' interested in the 370z 7A/T and ask the question of them...

And if French Nissan Dealers are anything like English ones they'll either have no idea what you're talking about, or they'll invent an answer from their imagination - or both.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#12 Vampirex

Vampirex

International Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:31 PM

In general my dealer is serious and have a lot of Z (350 & 370) to maintain. I asked them and I am waiting an answer.

Of course as this is an option and only in manual mode, it cannot be linked with euro 6.

I will try to do some tests tomorrow, but I am not sure because I am in convalescence after surgery and I have to be very quiet.

• Chubbs likes this

#13 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,437 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:25 PM

Congratulations on your new car! :)

If you don't get the information you need from your dealer I will ask here.

One thing to mention which may or not be useful is that an EcuTek tune upgrades the software for the gearbox as well as engine.  Therefore, if the Nissan software has had something removed it could be reinstated.

• Chubbs likes this

#14 Vampirex

Vampirex

International Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:08 AM

Hi Paul,

The problem is that the car is under warranty, so if I change something, the warranty is broken. And Nissan France is very prompt to do that.

BR.

Daniel.

• Chubbs likes this

#15 Vampirex

Vampirex

International Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:58 PM

@Blobbish: I just made a small video, far from perfect, but not easy to drive and carry the smartphone, it would be better if I had 3 hands.

The problem is that I cannot upload it, "file too big" but it is only 56.2MB.

Can someone help me to upload my file ?

#16 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:36 PM

Can you upload to YouTube and then post the link?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#17 Vampirex

Vampirex

International Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:46 AM

Done, it is here:

BR.

Daniel.

#18 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

I will Check this out tonight when I have sound, but It does look like the revs move to match wheel speed.

I'll also see if I can dig out a video of mine.

NOTE: I notice that you gear indicator suggest when to change gear. My 2010 doesnt do this. 

#19 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,437 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:50 PM

It's an EU regulation that states the car has to tell you to change gear (for economy). That might be a bolt to the standard car rather than changing the behaviour of the gearbox. It would be interesting to know for sure.

#20 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,238 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:04 PM

My older (2016) car has the upshift indicator arrow/light, so it's not connected to any possible change in gearbox behaviour, as suggested by Daniel.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B