15 replies to this topic

#1 Paul U

Paul U

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:40 PM

I've long wanted to own a Nissan 370Z and after much saving I took delivery of a brand new 370 GT (manual) a few days ago. 

Unfortunately after less than a week and less than 500 miles it's broken down with what  seems to be a clutch problem. The car started juddering and now I can't get it into gear.

I appreciate it's under warranty, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced or heard of a similar problem with a brand new car - or is it that I'm just unlucky?

Any information welcome - thanks

#2 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:32 AM

Hi and welcome :welcometonissansportz:

Sorry to hear your venture into Z ownership has taken a bad turn.

I can honestly say I've never heard of anything like that happening before.  I can't even recall it happening any 370Z to be honest.  It seems you are very unlucky :(

As you say it's under warranty and so one for the dealer.

Out of interest though, have you checked the clutch fluid level (under the bonnet, next to the brake fluid reservoir under the black cover on the driver side of the car)?

Once the dealer has investigated the problem please report back here.  Depending on the nature of the failure you might want to think of any future issues that may arise as a knock-on from this.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings and Paul U like this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#3 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,446 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:55 AM

Hi Welcome

:unknw:

Sorry to hear about this issue.  I can say in nearly 5 years of a 370z and about the same of a 350z I haven't seen anything like that.  Also it will have the new Exedy Clutch I would expect fitted to the most recent cars.  Its going to feel like a utter downer right now and I hope its something very simple and quick to fix.  If the dealer is worth their salt they will drop everything to look at it straight away.

Its definitely not something that happens and it would point to a fault which is not common especially in that mileage and timescale.  I am sure it can be fixed quickly until it is the dealer should have a 370z demonstrator you can drive around in.   Sorry to hear this though, keep the faith.

• Paul_S likes this

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

sml_gallery_123_431_228285.png

#4 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:34 AM

Welcome to the club.

The Zed does have a few issues, as does any car, one being the CSC. However, saying this I have never heard of one failing on a new car. 

As this is brand new you MUST get the dealer you purchased it from to identify the problem and rectify it. 

• Chubbs likes this

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#5 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,231 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

Hi. Welcome to the club, Paul - and sorry to hear it's under such trying and disppointing circumstances. The members above and I have all owned Z's for almost 15 years and none of us have never heard of anything like this on a new car. The clutch slave cylinder has been known to fail and is a known weak point.

What part of the country are you in and who was the dealer?

Edit - Is rejecting the car an option and asking for another one? I know it's easier to do this in America, but if you've only had it a few days....

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#6 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:01 PM

Welcome to the club Paul!  :thumbsup:

As others have said, very sorry to hear about your bad first week experience of owning a Zed.  When things go wrong that quickly, it's typically down to an issue with assembly rather than a systematic problem.  Follow the advise given above and do please report back on how you're getting on.  Hopefully you'll soon be over this bump in the road...

Dave

• LESmo likes this

#7 Paul U

Paul U

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:42 PM

I've long wanted to own a Nissan 370Z and after much saving I took delivery of a brand new 370 GT (manual) a few days ago. 

Unfortunately after less than a week and less than 500 miles it's broken down with what  seems to be a clutch problem. The car started juddering and now I can't get it into gear.

I appreciate it's under warranty, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced or heard of a similar problem with a brand new car - or is it that I'm just unlucky?

Any information welcome - thanks

PROBLEM UPDATE

I'm really pleased to say that the problem is now fixed!

After breaking down last night, this morning I got the car back to the dealer who were genuinely concerned. It turns out that the pipe into the clutch slave cylinder hadn't been tightened (presumably at the factory) and with each press on the clutch pedal I was losing fluid and pressure. Anyway the union was tightened, new fluid and bled and now it's working fine.

For what it's worth the dealer (Motor Line Oxford) have reported the matter back to Nissan.

Sorry, for being grumpy - now time to start enjoying ownership :-)  

• Chubbs and LESmo like this

#8 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,231 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:20 PM

Excellent news! Now make yourself at home here - by posting a few photos - we're picaholics!

...and what colour is it?

• LESmo, Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#9 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:25 PM

That's a result. No long-lasting damage I can think. They probably owe you a full tank of fuel for the inconvenience though.

It's good to know my Spidey Senses are still working!
  • LESmo likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#10 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,446 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:00 AM

Great result.  :kicking:

Good Shout Paul.  Anyone would think you could rebuilt a Zed.... Oh yes you can  :D

How about some photo's of the new Mota?

• Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and Paul U like this

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

sml_gallery_123_431_228285.png

#11 ChasGFL

ChasGFL

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:34 AM

Glad you got it sorted quickly and it wasn't anything too major, doesn't excuse the fact that it really shouldn't have happened in the first place. Oh and welcome to the forum.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#12 CWM370z

CWM370z

Zedlet

• Committee Member (10)
  • 642 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:03 AM

Not to worry you but brake and clutch fluid on paint work is not good at all where has it drained to ? down the bulk head and underneath? strips paint off real quick .?? :o

• Chubbs and Paul_S like this

2016 370z NISMO v2 ebisu black   Nismo shoulder pads, Nismo valve caps.cargo net. Nismo wheel transfers. AAM competition tail pipes .Carbon doorhandle covers.

2018 toyota c-hr dynamic ,decuma grey /black roof . hybred/petrol 1.8 auto.

2004 Black .KURO 350Z,nismo seatbelt pads,35Oz mats, ztax disc holder, garmin satnav.stubby aerial.z frt bumper badge.dealer collector box set of Zs.black led rear lamps.NISMO hightone Z horns.volk gt-c 19"wheels.Toyo proxes t1rs,carbon frt leds,carbon frt air guide panel.NISMO oil cap. gold custom bolts.carbon engine cover,clear rear bumper lights,red harness covering.carbon bonnet lifters.samco set of red hoses,jim wolf air filter and stainless air intake pipe with red hose connections.
 now passed on to matty bacon,  now coming back to daddy

2014 NISMO JUKE . BLACK AUTO ,4X4SOLD .                                                  

>gallery_245_77_67379.png

#13 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,777 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

I must admit wondering about the dealer's PDI process.
  • Paul_S likes this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#14 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,231 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:46 AM

Not to worry you but brake and clutch fluid on paint work is not good at all where has it drained to ? down the bulk head and underneath? strips paint off real quick .?? :o

Good point, Colin. It's an effective paint stripper.

• CWM370z likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#15 CWM370z

CWM370z

Zedlet

• Committee Member (10)
  • 642 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:50 PM

brake fluid and battery acid  make a hell of a mess if unchecked.you would think there would be a  way of useing another fluid for brakes thats  non corrosive and better still one that does not absorb water moisture. ;)

• Chubbs and Paul_S like this

2016 370z NISMO v2 ebisu black   Nismo shoulder pads, Nismo valve caps.cargo net. Nismo wheel transfers. AAM competition tail pipes .Carbon doorhandle covers.

2018 toyota c-hr dynamic ,decuma grey /black roof . hybred/petrol 1.8 auto.

2004 Black .KURO 350Z,nismo seatbelt pads,35Oz mats, ztax disc holder, garmin satnav.stubby aerial.z frt bumper badge.dealer collector box set of Zs.black led rear lamps.NISMO hightone Z horns.volk gt-c 19"wheels.Toyo proxes t1rs,carbon frt leds,carbon frt air guide panel.NISMO oil cap. gold custom bolts.carbon engine cover,clear rear bumper lights,red harness covering.carbon bonnet lifters.samco set of red hoses,jim wolf air filter and stainless air intake pipe with red hose connections.
 now passed on to matty bacon,  now coming back to daddy

2014 NISMO JUKE . BLACK AUTO ,4X4SOLD .                                                  

>gallery_245_77_67379.png

#16 Paul U

Paul U

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:56 PM

Excellent news! Now make yourself at home here - by posting a few photos - we're picaholics!

...and what colour is it?

It's White and it does look lovely. In fact my wife's been driving it more than me and that comes from a woman that says that she's not interested in cars! 

I'll post s few pics at the weekend :-)

• Chubbs, Paul_S and Dave G like this