2013 Storm White 370z Nismo #93
2004 Azure Blue 350Z

#2 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:41 PM

That's a very good question. Someone ought to get in touch and point out that they're showing a car that can't be hacked in those ways, and possibly harming future values. If it's still showing when I get home this evening - and another owner or even Nissan haven't pointed out the error of their ways - I'll send them a little missive.
  • dj370zNismo and LESmo like this
2007 350Z - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2004 Yaris 1.3 - It takes a little longer, but you'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.

#3 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,442 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:42 PM

They don't know much about a 350z - the issues seems to be cloning off the ECU and those with Wifi.   I don't remember putting y 350z key in a protected pocket each night like I do with the 370z.

• dj370zNismo and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

sml_gallery_123_431_228285.png

#4 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:30 PM

Yes, something that appears in the dictionary under the definition of "Old school" seems like an odd choice. This evening, I walked into the garage with the key in my pocket, and also asked the Zed about its wi-fi and TPMS, and it just sat there and looked blankly at me . . . thank heavens. :lol:

I sent a politely protesting message just before 7.00pm today, but thus far haven't had a reply.

• dj370zNismo and Neutreus like this
2007 350Z - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2004 Yaris 1.3 - It takes a little longer, but you'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.

#5 Daz JDM

Daz JDM

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:37 AM

Was just going to link to that article myself, had a mate send me a shortcut to it last night saying my cars at risk of being hacked. Had he read the article fully, no, just saw the pic and assumed. I too have sent a snotty but fact filled email to  them. :angry2:  :angry2:

• Chubbs, dj370zNismo, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 1 other like this

#6 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:05 AM

So far, I have only ever read about vehicles being stolen using the relay method and ODB port key replication. Not on any of our cars may I add.

There are too many steps that would be needed to compromise any of the chips within the car.

1. Hack the WIFI system to gain access
  2. Have knowledge of the chip in questions firmware vulnerabilities
  3. Bridge the WIFI and CAN systems to gain access to the chip
  4. inject malware into the chip taking advantage of the vulnerability.

I think that people are watching too many films. 

I mean, why hack the TPMS system when you can place a military grade tracker on the car to follow it....... which wont be so susceptible to GPS dropouts.

• dj370zNismo likes this

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#7 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:20 PM

'Cos it won't fool the driver into stopping the car in the (mistaken) belief they've got a puncture . . .

#8 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,226 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:35 AM

.......but why a photo of a 350Z?

https://www.fleetpoi...-can-be-hacked/

Looks like some lazy web page compiler nicked used the image. It's also in a 2014 American article...

https://money.cnn.co...hack/index.html

No point trying to get them to change it - they'll be too lazy.

(this still doesn't explain why the Z was used in the first place).

Edit - it's here too - https://en.calameo.c...7563e130651ae0d- and it's a Shutterstock/CNN stock image, so it's clearly fake news.

lol and here - http://www.securityn.../hack-car-tool/

• dj370zNismo and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#9 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:11 AM

'Cos it won't fool the driver into stopping the car in the (mistaken) belief they've got a puncture . . .

I think most people would just ignore it until they stopped. But I can see your logic.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#10 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:01 PM

Like most opportunistic crimes, it only takes one or two successes out of a hundred (or more) attempts for it to become worthwhile.