Posted Image

Photo

370Z Nismo. Oil temperature getting to 132 degrees c.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kc Neutron

Kc Neutron

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:41 am

Hi all, Im new here. I think i have a problem.

Background info. I bought a 370Z nismo a few months back. 66 plate, 13 K on the clock. About a month ago my engine started knocking quite bad. Long story short, Nissan in Hastings fitted a new engine free of charge. I have put 600 miles on the new engine.

Oil temp normally hovers around 90 deg c. sometimes reaching approx 110 deg c. Yesterday i had been driving for a while. A little spirited but not over 5000 revs. Then i noticed my oil temp at 130 deg c. What could have changed to cause the increase in oil temp.

Im not sure if i have an issue or if thats OK. Any ideas people.

Thanks in adavance for your responses,

KC.

#2 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:49 am

Hi KC and welcome to the forum.

These engines run hot. They are fine at normal driving but spirited driving will cause the temps to rise, and quickly. As an example. I have a 7AT with an oil cooler, and even now with temps below 10C i can get my oil temps upto 110C within a relatively short distance is using the paddles changing gears around  3 - 4.5k revs (generally the AT box changes around the 2-2.5k mark). General driving sees the temps around 75-90C.

A few things to check:

1. Are there any oil leaks, that you can see
  2. Check the dip stick to ensure that there is plenty of oil in the car.

In fairness it sounds pretty normal to me. I think the Nismo does have an oil/water interchange cooler, but I would look into adding a proper oil cooler if you plan to drive the car in a more spirited way.

• vjordon likes this

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#3 Kc Neutron

Kc Neutron

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:00 pm

Hi Blobbish, Thanks for your quick response. I have checked my user manual and it states that if the oil temp gets to 140 then slow down the driving.

It just seems a bit strange that its only just done it yesterday. Not for the first 500 miles on the new engine.

I didnt think the nismo had an oil cooler.

I've checked the oil level. Its all good. And no visible oil leaks.

When i got the new engine fitted the service guy said i didnt have to run the new engine in. mmmmm. I am though. For the first 1200 miles as per the user manual. He said drive it 'normally'. mmmm.

My previous car was an RX8 with the rotary engine. I had to get it rebuilt twice. So i certainly know about running engines in.

Thanks again. And please anymore feedback / replies from others would help and put my mind at ease.

#4 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:50 pm

My Z sits like yours did at about 90 maybe just above and don't seem to move a lot even in the hot summer it pretty much sat there. It has never got anywhere near the temp you say and as it is not hot outside I would be wanting to know why. Just my observations and it contradicts the previous post so let's wait to see what others say

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
  • A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#5 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:55 pm

The OEM oil cooler was installed post 2012 on all models. see number 6 in the image attached. You will see that its not really a cooler as we know it. 

To ease your concern, just do a google search for '370z oil temps spirited driving' or even the thread here:

http://forums.nissan...es-in-the-370z/

I read this some time go, which explained to some degree why the temps get hot. It an interesting read.

https://motoiq.com/n...ype-or-reality/

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

• LESmo, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and milanored like this

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400

#6 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,653 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:03 pm

Sorry to disagree Blobbish, but I'd be concerned about temps of 130 degrees. My 2016 car runs cooler than my 2010 used to - and my 2010 never got above 115 degrees, even in hot summer weather. I know neither of my cars were Nismos, so there may be a difference there.

The very least I'd do is register my concern in writing to a main dealer and to Nissan CS - before the warranty expires - just in case.

The other thing I'd do is take photos as evidence.

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#7 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,755 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:20 pm

Hi Kc, welcome to the Owners Club :)

Sorry to hear you've been having problems.  It could be that the cooling system has an airlock.  It could even be that one of the fans isn't working.

I would definitely speak to the dealer and Nissan GB to make them aware of the issues and keep us updated.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#8 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:58 pm

I think that taking video evidence is a good plan. Would an airlock no manifest as high water temps as well? 

When you say you were driving for a while, how long is a while? 10 mins 30 mins. 

Oil temps are quite subjective and really depend on a number of factors i.e. how long you hold the gears at a given rev, speed of travel (airflow), if you've ragged the car and then sat idling (engine heat soak) etc. 

Consider the following, (both scenarios will effect the oil temps in different ways):

1. Driving around some country roads holding 3.5k and rising to 5k for 10 miles or so and then look at the temps.
  2. Long high speed runs on the Autobahn

Lesmo, Bikeracer, Vicky or Oxfordlad would be good to get a view from as they all have Nismo's, but I wouldnt expect them to be any different to a GT.

I would also make sure that the oil temp sensor is working as expected, given that they have swapped out the engine.

My 2016 car runs cooler than my 2010 used to - and my 2010 never got above 115 degrees, even in hot summer weather. I know neither of my cars were Nismos, so there may be a difference there.

This makes sense given the oem oil cooler post 2012.

You've never had it above 115C, you need to try harder Chubbs  :D. 10 mins on track and i could hit 135C easily before i fitted the oil cooler. 

Normal oil temps are around 90 - 100 for the Oil and water is around 88C, so it makes sense that the oil temps rise  when you drive harder, and the harder and longer the drive the higher the oil temps. 

• Chubbs likes this

#9 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,653 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:40 am

...You've never had it above 115C, you need to try harder Chubbs  :D. 10 mins on track and i could hit 135C easily before i fitted the oil cooler. 

Normal oil temps are around 90 - 100 for the Oil and water is around 88C, so it makes sense that the oil temps rise  when you drive harder, and the harder and longer the drive the higher the oil temps. 

Lol! Okay, I've never been above 120 degrees, then - and if I saw anything around 115 I would be a bit concerned and attempt to back off (although the right foot doesn't always do as it's told).

I agree with you that a person's driving style has a big influence on oil temperatures in this car, but with respect Blobbish, your experience of 130+ degrees was on the track, which is very different to road driving, I hope.

I still maintain that oil temperatures of 130 degrees may be a cause for concern, even if this guy's road driving is spirited and uses high revs. Let's face it, the weather hasn't exactly been in the 30's lately, has it?

There's also the important point that Paul_K makes in the thread you linked to - Oil temperatures of 130 degrees mean you should change the oil immediately, because it will have become ineffective.

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#10 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:04 am

There's also the important point that Paul_K makes in the thread you linked to - Oil temperatures of 130 degrees mean you should change the oil immediately, because it will have become ineffective.

There is a lot of debate about this with modern oils depending on the branding, but I have never seen these temps since fitting the cooler, even being FI and almost doubling the power.

Your advice is sound. There is no issue in registering an issue with Nissan and 130C without knowing all the ins and outs is high. Also we're not sure about the origins of this engine. It cannot be new, surely. Or wouldn't the same bedding in process be needed?

#11 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:38 pm

I agree, but a more general question I have on this issue - and particularly pertaining to Paul_K's point - is at what temperature and/or for what duration of high temperature does the limp mode engage?

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#12 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:25 pm

Its around 137 - 140 C. I've never had my engine go into limp mode, even on track. Plus i'm not actually sure just how accurate the oil gauge is or how fast it reacts.

Some oils cope with heat better than others. Mobile 1 Advanced Synthetic boast they protect upto 260C (500F)  and Motul 300v is at 217C (424F), although these temps depend on what the weight of the oil (i.e the lower the number before the 'W' the better for short/cold starts and the higher the number after the 'W' for higher engine temps. So it "thickens" less at lower temperature and "thins" less at higher temperature)

For this reason I use 0w40, due to all of the short journeys I do now.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#13 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:40 pm

Thanks for that. I thought it might be somewhere between 130 and 140 degrees. And, as you say, modern oils tend to (at least claim to) be more resilient in the face of higher temperatures - from increasingly cramped engine bays, and hot turbos.

Although I still think that the old advice holds true that you should change your oil even after one (or particularly two in quick succession) track day, if it/they have been long and the engine working hard.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#14 Kc Neutron

Kc Neutron

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:22 pm

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your comments.

I had been driving the car for about an hour and it was about 40 - 50 mins in to the journey i noticed the oil temp at 130 deg c.

I took the car out yesterday and tried to drive similarly but the oil only went up to about 110 deg c.

I took it out today and it didnt go above 94. However i did end up with the police behind me so i had to be good!!

I have to spoken to Nissan HQ and logged the issue. My 'case' manager will be contacting me in the next couple of days.

Its also booked in to the Nissan dealer for next Thursday when i can take one of their techs out in my car.

I have been assured it is a brand new engine and hence why im running it in. (I did take it up to 5000 revs when the oil temp issue arose).

Not sure what else to say. But anymore information would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much. KC

• Chubbs, Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#15 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:50 pm

It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things.  You were concerned, so you were right to mention it to your dealer and Nissan.

I'd just continue to run your engine in in the usual way unless and until anything different happens, but hopefully it doesn't.  The previous problem might just have been one of those slightly odd phenomena that happen when running an engine in, like an airlock in the cooling system that hopefully now has been belched out.

#16 oxfordlad

oxfordlad

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:50 pm

I think that taking video evidence is a good plan. Would an airlock no manifest as high water temps as well? 

When you say you were driving for a while, how long is a while? 10 mins 30 mins. 

Oil temps are quite subjective and really depend on a number of factors i.e. how long you hold the gears at a given rev, speed of travel (airflow), if you've ragged the car and then sat idling (engine heat soak) etc. 

Consider the following, (both scenarios will effect the oil temps in different ways):

1. Driving around some country roads holding 3.5k and rising to 5k for 10 miles or so and then look at the temps.
  2. Long high speed runs on the Autobahn

Lesmo, Bikeracer, Vicky or Oxfordlad would be good to get a view from as they all have Nismo's, but I wouldnt expect them to be any different to a GT.

I would also make sure that the oil temp sensor is working as expected, given that they have swapped out the engine.

This makes sense given the oem oil cooler post 2012.

You've never had it above 115C, you need to try harder Chubbs  :D. 10 mins on track and i could hit 135C easily before i fitted the oil cooler. 

When I've had quite a bit of fun in my Nismo over the years & my 40th, I've never seen oil temps that high, and I have been pushing things quite a bit

• Chubbs likes this